PDA

View Full Version : GLHS experts: did the Koni struts come with dust covers?

Marcus86GLHS
07-05-2006, 03:54 PM
on the 1986 and 1987 glhs cars.....the brochure shows the Koni strut/spring assembly without dust covers protecting the telescoping strut rod.....is this correct? or did these Konis come with the dust covers?

thanks.

edglock21
07-05-2006, 04:13 PM
I bought mine brand new - don't recall any kind of boot on the strut...'course my memory is not what it used to be :D

fleckster
07-05-2006, 10:10 PM
I can't directly speak for the L-bodies but my brand new Konis I recently bought for my Spirit R/T did not come with them in the box but the instructions do show taking the boot from the old struts and reusing it. I would use them in my GLHS. They will keep the dirt from messing with the seal.

MiniMopar
07-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Not sure about the L-bodies, but other bodies had that bumper+cup thing that always fell apart. I got new boot/bumpers from Pep Boys.

Marcus86GLHS
07-06-2006, 03:39 AM
thanks guys....i knew you could get dust covers, or, add dust covers, i am still curious as to whether the glhs cars, specifically, were delivered from Whittier with or without the covers, this is for a friend who is restoring his suspension pieces and wants it purely stock appearing.

EDGLOK21: when you say you "I bought mine brand new.....", are you refering to buying a new glhs, or, new Konis? thanks.

edglock21
07-06-2006, 10:17 AM
thanks guys....i knew you could get dust covers, or, add dust covers, i am still curious as to whether the glhs cars, specifically, were delivered from Whittier with or without the covers, this is for a friend who is restoring his suspension pieces and wants it purely stock appearing.

EDGLOK21: when you say you "I bought mine brand new.....", are you refering to buying a new glhs, or, new Konis? thanks.The car - I bought it new in 1986, sold it to a friend in 1989, and just recently bought it back from him. :thumb:

So, I'm the original and third owner ;)

Marcus86GLHS
07-06-2006, 12:26 PM
wow excellent recovery. can i ask a favor? can you snap and post a pix of one of the installed struts?

thanx for your feedback, it's very helpful.

btw, coming to carlisle with your car this weekend?

edglock21
07-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Marcus, I'll get the pics for ya.

I will be at Carlisle on Saturday, but won't have the car there (I'm taking my truck). Swing by the DodgeTalk tent - I'll should be there when I'm not out 'shopping' :D

2.216VTurbo
07-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Don't know about the 86 S cars but both of my 87's had dust covers. They were a hard plastic 'inverted cup' thingy that use to fit kind of sloppy, in fact if you look a the markings on the lower part of an original GLHS Koni, you will see scuff marks where the cup rode up and down. Eventually the bottom of the cup (which was at the top, they were mounted inverted) which located it, cracked thru and rendered the cover useless. I think that's when I cut mine off for good;)