PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to an a413 to make it live longer under high boost?

jre97
07-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Well where do I start. I've grenaded my a555 and am switching back to an auto because it's what i have right now.

Speedeuphoria
07-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Start here it has lots of good info
http://66.78.24.116/Mopar%20Pages/Tranny%20upgrades%20detail.htm

turbovanmanČ
07-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Do the valve body mods per the FAQ's I posted, run synthetic fluid, do a band adjustment and make sure the kickdown cable is adjusted properly.

jre97
07-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks! I want to make it as strong as I possibly can before I put it in. I'm getting tired of changing trannys in this car. In the last 8 months I've put the a555 in it because when I got it the a413 was bad, then the clutch went, then the diff bearings exploded, and now whatever is wrong with the the a555 it feels like something is binding up inside the tranny and sounds like your dragging the exhaust when you drive it. So I have a good 413 to swap back in. I just wish I still had a good auto center console but it's just going to be temporary so i figured I'd just stick the shifter through the five speed boot until I get the five speed rebuilt.

89turbomini
07-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Thanks! I want to make it as strong as I possibly can before I put it in. I'm getting tired of changing trannys in this car. In the last 8 months I've put the a555 in it because when I got it the a413 was bad, then the clutch went, then the diff bearings exploded, and now whatever is wrong with the the a555 it feels like something is binding up inside the tranny and sounds like your dragging the exhaust when you drive it. So I have a good 413 to swap back in. I just wish I still had a good auto center console but it's just going to be temporary so i figured I'd just stick the shifter through the five speed boot until I get the five speed rebuilt.

Did you put a Chrome Moly Transplate in the A555?

jre97
07-06-2006, 09:52 AM
No :banghead: I should have and After reading the above pages I don't think they set the preload on the diff bearings when I had the pressed in. I was wondering where do you guys get the different governor weights and springs? Also what of these mods to the a413 do you recommend to run 18-20 psi on 2.2 with a t2 garret? I don't want to get too much invested in the auto since it's only temporary. i prefer I five speed for daily driving. i may just turn the boost down to about 15 and do the valve body mods, play with the line pressure and work the governor.

turbovanmanČ
07-06-2006, 12:46 PM
^^^^^^^ Do all the mods listed except the internal ones unless your going to tear it apart.

jre97
07-06-2006, 08:28 PM
That sounds good to me. So do you guys buy a tbi tranny just for the governor parts or would you recommend calling around to the tranny shops and see if they have any parts laying around or are the governor parts available from the dealer?

capev86
07-06-2006, 10:17 PM
i'm gonna build the 2.5 / 3spd out of my 91 dynasty and stick it in my 86 k wagon. its gonna be totally HD w/ a quiafe at one end and a 2.5 v6 stratus/cirrus torque converter (higher stall like turbo, but w/ lockup) w/ a torrington bearing at the other end!!!

turbovanmanČ
07-07-2006, 12:53 PM
That sounds good to me. So do you guys buy a tbi tranny just for the governor parts or would you recommend calling around to the tranny shops and see if they have any parts laying around or are the governor parts available from the dealer?

Just go to a tranny shop and ask for a TBI governor setup, they will have tons.

jre97
07-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Thats good. I figure it will be a must to keep driveability if I jack up the line pressure. Can you use a hydrualic system guage to check your line pressure?

Ubmbass
07-07-2006, 03:28 PM
The best mod you can do to a 413 if you plan on racing your car or putting any power to the ground is throwing it off a cliff! LOL FWD dodge autos suck.

turbovanmanČ
07-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Thats good. I figure it will be a must to keep driveability if I jack up the line pressure. Can you use a hydrualic system guage to check your line pressure?

Yes, but it must be at least a 300 psi guage. If you block the accumulator off, you must use another port to check pressure. I have to look it up.

jre97
07-07-2006, 10:10 PM
I figured you could just put it in the cooler line or does it not see full pressure?

jre97
07-07-2006, 10:14 PM
The best mod you can do to a 413 if you plan on racing your car or putting any power to the ground is throwing it off a cliff! LOL FWD dodge autos suck.
Evidently the 5-speeds aren't that great either since i've broken it twice now in the last couple of months. I just want to make it as strong as I possibly can without investing alot of money in it. Since I plan reinstalling the a555 or looking for a 568. I actually prefer to drive a 5 speed and race with an auto since you can build boost off the line and you don't have to let off to shift you get better times.

turbovanmanČ
07-07-2006, 10:14 PM
I figured you could just put it in the cooler line or does it not see full pressure?

Cooler lines only see under 50 psi if memory serves.

The port to use if you block the 1-2 accumulator is "Kickdown apply" port. If looking at the front of the trans, its 2nd one from the right. Should be around 130 ish.

jre97
07-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks Simon! Now my next question can you get at the governor to tune it with the tranny in the car?

turbovanmanČ
07-08-2006, 01:51 AM
Thanks Simon! Now my next question can you get at the governor to tune it with the tranny in the car?

Yes, you can tune it when you remove the vb to do the mods. See my post on Governor mods in the FAQ section.

jre97
07-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks! I read your post right before I posted that last question and you weren't real specific about whether or not you were removing the trans or doing it in car so that's why I asked. I was going to do the vb mods before I put the tranny in. I just wanted to make sure i didn't have to pull it every time if the shift points weren't where I wanted them.

turbovanmanČ
07-09-2006, 03:39 PM
I would buy the reusable pan gasket I listed and put a drain plug into your pan. I did this and when I had to change things, I only lot a tiny bit of oil and didn't make a big mess everything I worked on it, :D

jre97
07-09-2006, 08:56 PM
I already have one of the universal drain plugs if I can find it (maybe in the daytona somewhere) and that pan gasket is a good idea thanks. Have you had any luck using b&m trick shift or a synthetic atf or is that a no no?

turbovanmanČ
07-09-2006, 10:25 PM
I already have one of the universal drain plugs if I can find it (maybe in the daytona somewhere) and that pan gasket is a good idea thanks. Have you had any luck using b&m trick shift or a synthetic atf or is that a no no?

I had the best luck with Amsoil ATF, I had no diff pin wear after a year and a half of abuse. That is going back in my new trans. Its expensive but after all these blowups, I feel its worth it.