PDA

View Full Version : tuning will determine

Hondaeg6
03-06-2011, 09:51 PM
ok folks i have my 87 sundance with the t1 motor im beliving "im still learning please be nice" i have a line on an 88 sundance with the t2 motor as a donor. i use this car as my daily and i wana see 14lbs on the regular or so im told the block is good for. what i wana do is the t2 motor swap into my 87 with a srt4 fmi greddy bov i have laying around and a ported head with a mopar cam. what way(s) would i need to tune this set up if that is if itll work together, im open to nething u can throw out there im in the rochester nyarea and am open to texting i need to pick some brains here because depending on the out come of my question will determine if i move forward with this car

cordes
03-06-2011, 09:53 PM
14 PSI should not be a problem if you run premium gas. Look on www.thedogegarage.com for some good info to get a better knowledge base at first.

trannybuster
03-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Any detonation and you'll be proud owner of some piston shaped ashtrays!

Aries_Turbo
03-15-2011, 09:28 PM
i live in warsaw, ny. i have ALOT of parts.

if you just want to do a T2 manifold swap on the 87 motor i have all the manifolds/injectors/etc. i can also socket your computer and show you how to do the wiring changes to run a t2 based calibration.

Brian

GLHNSLHT2
03-15-2011, 11:03 PM
stay away from the SRT4 i/c. it flows like crap and way too much cutting to the front end of an old TD to get it to fit. find a big bare and plate ebay i/c instead.

cordes
03-15-2011, 11:32 PM
stay away from the SRT4 i/c. it flows like crap and way too much cutting to the front end of an old TD to get it to fit. find a big bare and plate ebay i/c instead.

I thought the SRT4 ICs flow well for their size? Agreed about the fitment though.

roachjuice
03-15-2011, 11:41 PM
They flow good. They cool like shyt.

GLHNSLHT2
03-15-2011, 11:43 PM
tube and fin doesn't flow. Anyway, the 1st mod to an SRT to make them fast is to get rid of the POS and install a real intercooler.

dodgeshadowchik
03-17-2011, 09:34 AM

Really? Do you have any evidence to back this up? This has been discussed a billion times over on the dsm forums and the eGhey coolers are ok to a certain point but they are not the best.

Both styles have their ups and down. The Tube/Fin ones tend to have a lower pressure drop; the bar/plates tend to have better heat transfer properties. But really, if you get a quality I/C of either design, it will be better than a cheap one in the long run.

Plus if he is running a small stock turbo, a BIG intercooler is not going to help. The little turbo won't be able to flow enough air through it effectively. I do agree that the SRT one might be too much hassle to get to fit, however.

GLHNSLHT2
03-17-2011, 08:00 PM
search the forums for people and their SRT4 i/c intalls. 99% of them have to hack most of the radiator support sheet metal away. Putting an aftermarket bar and plate i/c into two SRT4's (one Spearco and one spearco knockoff) instantly allowed them to hold 20psi all the way to redline. That right there says the stock i/c sucks for flow.

Force Fed Mopar
03-17-2011, 08:20 PM
search the forums for people and their SRT4 i/c intalls. 99% of them have to hack most of the radiator support sheet metal away. Putting an aftermarket bar and plate i/c into two SRT4's (one Spearco and one spearco knockoff) instantly allowed them to hold 20psi all the way to redline. That right there says the stock i/c sucks for flow.

What were their mods though? The SRT's flow a lot more air too, I've always heard the stock SRT fmic was good to 300hp. Having said that, upgrading does seem to help them, however again they are 230+hp to start with, stands to reason they'd need to be upgraded sooner than on a 150 hp engine. Besides, they're a crapload better than those old factory T2 I/C's :)

Agreed on them being a PITA to plumb and mount though.

GLHNSLHT2
03-17-2011, 08:57 PM
one had a stage 1 with stock exhaust, the other had 3" exhaust on a stock ECU. Both ran 12.7@110-111 can't remember which ran the slicks and which ran just drag radials.