PDA

View Full Version : Turbo 1 to Turbo 2

Tony Lane
12-31-2005, 07:22 PM
I think it would be essential if some of us members compiled a list of necessary parts that transform a stock T1 into T2. In addition, by doing so, I think it would eliminate a lot of "reposting" questions that a lot of novice turbo mopar guys have. If we could get some sort of parts list, or something equivlant, it would do wonders for people who are interested in getting across the road block of turning their sluggish T1 into a real street machine.

:nod: Tony

86lance
12-31-2005, 07:47 PM
youd need two sections,one for early t1 log engines and one for late style blow thru t1's

oldgregg
12-31-2005, 08:19 PM
No 2 sections needed.

Technically T2 means beefier rods, with the fuel (33 PHH vs. 27 PPH injectors) to support 12 psi of computer controlled intercooled boost.

The Whittier T2's are not "true" T2's since they were converted T1's.

Example:
I had an 89 Daytona Shelby factory T2 car.
The engine croaked so I bought a 2.5 T1 to put in its place.
To make it a T2 vs a T1, I intercooled it since the intercooler was already in place, G-valved the boost to 12 PSI & ran the 2.5 T1 SMEC I bought with the engine since at the time I was using stock 33 PPH injectors (T2's & 2.5 T1's) & the engine ran a bit lean with the T2 SMEC.

Pretty easy huh?

Lee'sdaytona
12-31-2005, 08:19 PM
early log 87 TI to TII:

Radiatior/intercooler setup (stock TII)(no you can't use your TI rad unless you custom mount another intercooler)
TII airbox, and all intercooler hoses plus turbo inlet hose and throttle body hose.
Hose clamps
New oil drain tube gasket if you plan to remove the drain tube(only the dealer has these, but they are only like $3)
PCV tube and rubber connectors on both ends that work with this style air box
TII turbo, or Modify your garret TI, using the adapter from Chris at TU
Mopar Performance head Gasket
Mopar Performance Head Bolts
4 new spark plugs
Turbo II injectors
Turbo II Logic Module
Logic module plug (with about 6 inches of wire from any chrysler with a logic module)
One piece intake manifold with fuel rail, throttle body
New intake/exhaust mani gasket
Valve cover gasket
a roll of purple 14 ga wire, and black 14ga wire
4-wire AIS motor for the new throttle body
new Exhaust downpipe bolts
something to plug the EGR hole in the swingvalve. I just cut the tube off and welded it shut
Grainger valve for boost control
new vacume lines
Oil
coolent
Timing light
Torque wrench
Metric Deep sockets and a breaker bar for those headbolts
Metric wrenches.

It may not be a bad idea to put new piston rings and connecting rod bearings in since most of these engines are high mileage engines.
I think I mentioned everything. I'll add if I think of more :)

GLHNSLHT2
12-31-2005, 08:49 PM
it's covered on thedodgegarage.com

GLHS592
12-31-2005, 09:19 PM
It's already been done here: http://fwdmopar.50megs.com/T2conv.html

altered7151
12-31-2005, 09:32 PM
Yeah that link should definitally be a sticky.

deuce dodge
01-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Go to local pic an pay and pull 89+motor..with intake/injectors/sensors... etc. still on it...........

take home and transfer essentials.......plug in fwdperformance cal.

change three or five wires...you need info to do this part...see above posts.........is all there.....

oh and ya may need to notch manifold with grinder......

install granger .....

plumb intercooler....

order gaskets and bolts through fwdperformance...cheep and problem reduced method....

plan it will cost twice as much and take twice as much time....and post questions ..........if you need help .......on turbo-mopar.

deuce