PDA

View Full Version : Easy 3.0 timing belt change modifications.

Ondonti
03-06-2011, 07:40 AM
This will save you a lot of time.
Remove the rear Power steering bracket. Slot the 2 holes. Then all you have to do is loosen the bolts and slide it off the bracket.

Then with the annoying A/C, chop off the far end of the bracket and just make a little bolt spacer for the A/C idler pully. You don't need all that extra bracket material. There are still 5-6 huge bolts holding the a/c bracket to the block (much larger then the 4 bolts holding the compressor to the bracket).
This mod allows you to remove the engine bracket without touching the a/c (a/c is really annoying to remove and then also remove the bracket.
You can cut the bracket while its still installed on the motor.

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh426/ondonti/Turbo%203L%20Spirit/Holset/IMG_6824.jpg?t=1299411435

Vigo
03-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Damn, thats a good idea!

Ondonti
03-07-2011, 03:07 AM
The a/c mod saves so much time because you have to hold the compressor out of the way the whole time you try to remove all 8-9 bolts from the a/c bracket. It can also be done while the a/c is still installed (Angle grinder in the engine bay hehe).

The power steering slot mod requires removing it but it at least makes reinstall easier and if you need to mess with something in the future, it helps. Never know when you will have a water pump seize on the freeway and need to change it at the home depot. Nobody would want to do that the way a 3.0 comes from the factory.

I hope to work on the rear motor mount idea you have because that will make the 3.0 a very easy motor to work on. I don't really know if I can make it work. I think I have to retain the original bobble strut to help protect the transfercase.

One thing that I think people can stop using is the front engine to lower transmission bracket. The motor mount already connects to the block and that same spot. 2.2/2.5 motors have so much less support between the block and motor and don't seem to have problems.
With a rear motor mount setup that bracket would need to go back.