PDA

View Full Version : NEEDED: turbonator template for TIII SMEC

Juggy
03-04-2011, 04:13 PM
im getting my ostrich back soon, I need the template to run a TIII on my 89 SMEC electronics.

thanks.

Aries_Turbo
03-04-2011, 10:26 PM
i dont know if there is one yet.

I know simon has a t3 smec based dealeo.

Brian

Juggy
03-05-2011, 08:49 AM
....i talked to simon and he said he would hook me up but it would cost me $50

idk if that was for a tune, or the template. i dont want/need his tune, i can handle that myself....just need something to start with....

was hoping shelgame was the answer, as I heard that thats who simon got his template from (for free.....:))

i checked out all the files in TSMEC and didnt happen to notice a TIII file for SMEC....

glhs0426
03-05-2011, 09:14 AM
I thought the stock turbo SMEC has only one coil driver.

Juggy
03-05-2011, 09:30 AM
I thought the stock turbo SMEC has only one coil driver.

yeah im running the distributor off the cam with stock SMEC electronics, it will still be batch fire...no sequential till SBEC

Aries_Turbo
03-05-2011, 10:08 AM
....i talked to simon and he said he would hook me up but it would cost me $50

idk if that was for a tune, or the template. i dont want/need his tune, i can handle that myself....just need something to start with....

was hoping shelgame was the answer, as I heard that thats who simon got his template from (for free.....:))

i checked out all the files in TSMEC and didnt happen to notice a TIII file for SMEC....

he wanted 50$ for a cal that he got for free????? :confused:

or did he want 50$ for one of his distributor adapters?

Brian

turbovanmanČ
03-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Brian

I paid for the TIII cal from Shelgame as he dissected the 91 TIII cal for me but its not any better than the stuff he has out now, I don't recall mentioning making him one, if I did, it was probably for my conversion plate etc.

You don't need a TIII template if using a SMEC, just use his newest turbonator and adjust as needed, that's all I am using.

ShelGame
03-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Simon's is a 2.5 anyway and the timing/fuel would not be right for a 2.2 TIII...

CNH320
03-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Juggy's planning to run a 2.5 as well...

Juggy
03-13-2011, 01:35 PM
yep 2.5L with stock cams.....simons setup for them stage 2 cams so his cal wouldnt work out too well

if his elevation is different that would also effect things

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Brian

dont need a dist adapter, my head is already setup with one. mine doesnt leak oil either :D

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

You don't need a TIII template if using a SMEC, just use his newest turbonator and adjust as needed, that's all I am using.

ok sounds good. pretty sure i can handle that to get her going

ShelGame
03-13-2011, 02:34 PM
yep 2.5L with stock cams.....simons setup for them stage 2 cams so his cal wouldnt work out too well

if his elevation is different that would also effect things

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

dont need a dist adapter, my head is already setup with one. mine doesnt leak oil either :D

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

ok sounds good. pretty sure i can handle that to get her going

Use a 2.5 template, adjust the pumping efficency table for more high end - basically I would shift it up in RPM by 500-1000 and raise the whole curve 5%. The timing is the hard one. Since Simon's was a 2.5, I took a swag. There's no real good reference point for 2.5 T3 timing. You'll have to experiment to get it right...

Juggy
03-13-2011, 03:09 PM
yeah robb apparently you did the computer for this engine in the first setup. he said it was a shelgame socketed cal.
maybe i can get the chip and copy the file. it was VERY rich...ran 13.2@107 7psi boost SC61 turbo on a light launch and 5500rpm shifts lol....

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

he was running smec too. maybe i can send you the file and you can update it to a newer version perhaps??
or am i best to start fresh....i just need something to get me going on the ostrich!

turbovanmanČ
03-14-2011, 02:25 AM

Mine doesn't leak either, :p but your dizzy will, :(

Use a 2.5 template, adjust the pumping efficency table for more high end - basically I would shift it up in RPM by 500-1000 and raise the whole curve 5%. The timing is the hard one. Since Simon's was a 2.5, I took a swag. There's no real good reference point for 2.5 T3 timing. You'll have to experiment to get it right...

You were tame on the timing but that was just fine, the AF was a bit rich but for a crap shoot, it was pretty damn good, :hail:

yeah robb apparently you did the computer for this engine in the first setup. he said it was a shelgame socketed cal.
maybe i can get the chip and copy the file. it was VERY rich...ran 13.2@107 7psi boost SC61 turbo on a light launch and 5500rpm shifts lol....

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

he was running smec too. maybe i can send you the file and you can update it to a newer version perhaps??
or am i best to start fresh....i just need something to get me going on the ostrich!

He did the cal, I had the computer done locally.

As for his TIII cal, the new turbonator's are miles better, just start with a new 2.5 template and adjust to suit, its really that simple.

Juggy
03-14-2011, 04:55 AM
simon as far as i can remmeber and told there was ZERO LEAKAGE from the distributor adaptor or the distributor itself......mine is setup differently then yours.

however i did see a tiny dab of oil where the distributor sat. i dont think it was leaking out tho. ill just have to inspect the transmission for oil drips next time i am at daves place.

ShelGame
03-14-2011, 08:31 AM

Who did you get it from?

turbovanmanČ
03-14-2011, 01:36 PM
simon as far as i can remmeber and told there was ZERO LEAKAGE from the distributor adaptor or the distributor itself......mine is setup differently then yours.

however i did see a tiny dab of oil where the distributor sat. i dont think it was leaking out tho. ill just have to inspect the transmission for oil drips next time i am at daves place.

If the dizzy is on the exhaust cam and on its side, it will leak. You can't defy physics and gravity unless the PO modified the dizzy with a seal, which I am trying to figure out.

vipernbox
03-14-2011, 01:41 PM
subscribed... looking for a SMEC 2.2 16v cal... :)

turbovanmanČ
03-14-2011, 01:50 PM
subscribed... looking for a SMEC 2.2 16v cal... :)

Make your own, :rolleyes: :p

Juggy
03-15-2011, 07:41 AM
If the dizzy is on the exhaust cam and on its side, it will leak. You can't defy physics and gravity unless the PO modified the dizzy with a seal, which I am trying to figure out.

dizzys are sealed. they have an O RING!!!!! or do you mean they will leak INTO the distributor :confused2:

turbovanmanČ
03-15-2011, 04:05 PM
dizzys are sealed. they have an O RING!!!!! or do you mean they will leak INTO the distributor :confused2:

Yeah, they have one EXTERNALLY, you dummy, but not inside on the shaft. The oil WILL leak out of the shaft, I stopped it by forcing an O-ring inside the housing but it started to leak again on this engine, I am trying to get a proper seal on there but its tough, :(

Juggy
03-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Yeah, they have one EXTERNALLY, you dummy, but not inside on the shaft. The oil WILL leak out of the shaft, I stopped it by forcing an O-ring inside the housing but it started to leak again on this engine, I am trying to get a proper seal on there but its tough, :(

ok i guess thats why my old 2.2 8 valve would push so much blow by I would start to get ignition problems after some heavy boosting and would need to clean out the oil inside the distributor and keep a spare dry hep around :lol:

well times like these makes me wish i had a machine to run. the only way i could think of doing it properly would be to install an O ring into the distributor housing, where the shaft goes through, by using a "snap ring" style cutter which basically would create an undercut and allow the o ring to seat into the housing and put some pressure on the shaft....

another option perhaps? some sort of sealed ball bearing thats press fit into the housing and press fit shaft...i dont think theres enuff room for that tho

turbovanmanČ
03-21-2011, 01:31 AM
another option perhaps? some sort of sealed ball bearing thats press fit into the housing and press fit shaft...i dont think theres enuff room for that tho

That's exactly what I am doing. The head porting guy has milling machines etc, he's going to bore it out and put a sealed needle bearing in it, problem solved, :hail: