PDA

View Full Version : 2.2 turbo II quick performance?

'88 Shelby Z
03-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Just got my first Daytona Shelby Z T2. New to the forum this place is awesome. I wanted to know some minor upgrades to give it a little more power. I was thinking of going with the Mallory dist. and Accel coil pack, plugs and wires. It is worth it.

86seeS
03-03-2011, 12:53 AM
You wouldnt notice a thing...... First things first upgrade the computer best bang for your buck. you can get them from boostbutton.com or fwdperformance.com

'88 Shelby Z
03-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Thank you so much. I am glad I didn't waste my money on it. How much boost with a stock motor hold: everyday driver wise. Btw the way loving the car. The head light grills look awesome. Thanks again

86seeS
03-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Its not so much the engine holding it cause it will lol the map sensor will only read to 14.7LBS then the computer shuts the fuel down. But theres ways around it. Id pick up a stage 1 or 2 computer from one of the dealers youll enjoy the differance. Thanks there one of a kind that pic is this months pic in the turbo-mopar.com calender

'88 Shelby Z
03-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Awesome.... Yeah I need one of those soon. Mmm it shuts the the fuel off? Well almost everytime I boost real high(foot in the beans around 14-15 psi) its like the motor vapor locks. You think this could be the problem?

GLHNSLHT2
03-03-2011, 01:42 AM
check your vacuum harness with a mityvac to make sure there are no leaks. New Nylon line can be found at Autozone or Pepboys. If you check the codes I bet you'll have a 45 for overboost.

turbovanmanČ
03-03-2011, 03:53 AM
Just got my first Daytona Shelby Z T2. New to the forum this place is awesome. I wanted to know some minor upgrades to give it a little more power. I was thinking of going with the Mallory dist. and Accel coil pack, plugs and wires. It is worth it.

Mallory doesn't make a distributor. Accel wires are junk, I sell what I consider the best, see sig or Rbyrant sell's MSD wires.

Plugs, go with Champion RN9's, 2 steps colder than stock, or I like Iridium's. DO NOT use platinum.

As for performance, you need a cat back exhaust system, recal'd computer with +40 injectors and a 3 bar map, maybe a 255 fuel pump and if you want to go high boost, a FMIC and an MBC or EBC.

Awesome.... Yeah I need one of those soon. Mmm it shuts the the fuel off? Well almost everytime I boost real high(foot in the beans around 14-15 psi) its like the motor vapor locks. You think this could be the problem?

Your hitting overboost cutout, the factory put it there so you don't blow it up.

Go here, www.thedodgegarage.com and read the turbo database section.

RattFink
03-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Welcome to the forum! Where in Ga are you located?

'88 Shelby Z
03-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks... Yeah my check engine has been coming on and off

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Mallory doesn't make a distributor. Accel wires are junk, I sell what I consider the best, see sig or Rbyrant sell's MSD wires.

Plugs, go with Champion RN9's, 2 steps colder than stock, or I like Iridium's. DO NOT use platinum.

As for performance, you need a cat back exhaust system, recal'd computer with +40 injectors and a 3 bar map, maybe a 255 fuel pump and if you want to go high boost, a FMIC and an MBC or EBC.

Your hitting overboost cutout, the factory put it there so you don't blow it up.

Go here, www.thedodgegarage.com and read the turbo database section.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MAL4/3770901.oap?year=1987&make=Dodge&model=Daytona&vi=1089301&pt=2780P&ppt=C0334
What is this then?

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Welcome to the forum! Where in Ga are you located?

Thanks I am in Athens

86seeS
03-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Count the plug holes thats fora v8

Force Fed Mopar
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Exhaust and a computer.

Vigo
03-03-2011, 01:29 PM
That distributor looks like it will fit the k-cars in the compatibility one (im sure the pic is just a stock photo) but the question is what does a distributor get you? The factory one does its job fine, we have people making huge power and revving into the 7000s with a stock distributor and parts-store cap and rotor.

There is not anything to gain there that is worth the cost. Plugs and wires i believe ARE worth the cost.

My take on mods:
Exhaust
Spark plugs
Computer (gets you a little boost, timing changes, etc)
Wideband o2 sensor.

Once you have those things you'll probably find out what you need to fix to go further. Generally you need bigger injectors to go farther, but id get the wideband first because putting bigger injectors in doesnt guarantee that your fuel pump or filter will flow enough to support the capacity of the injectors, and if you just turn up the boost to find out you might end up with melted pistons.

turbovanmanČ
03-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks... Yeah my check engine has been coming on and off[COLOR="Silver"]

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MAL4/3770901.oap?year=1987&make=Dodge&model=Daytona&vi=1089301&pt=2780P&ppt=C0334
What is this then?

Check for codes.

As for that, don't believe half the stuff you find for our cars, they don't exist, :banghead:

As for a distributor, there is no need for an upgrade, nothing is done with ours except to trigger the spark and fuel sync, all the timing advance etc is done by the computer. The only thing you can do is make sure the shutter wheel isn't loose, keep a MOPAR HEP as a spare and get a decent cap and wires.

Reeves
03-03-2011, 06:05 PM
That distributor used to exist, but I didn't think it was available anymore. It was for the carb'd cars anyway and it got rid of the stock spark control computer. I was looking for one a while back and thought they had quite making them.

The picture is just a generic picture. Do a google search with that part number and you'll see it.

Welcome to the forum!

The very first thing I would do with your car is fix the over boost problem, then cutoff the catalytic convertor (if you don't have emission testing in your area) and cut off the muffler.

glhs727
03-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Well, a thread in the FWD Performance section and already have advertisements for
boostbutton, Simon's wires and RBryant... LOL

Mods please move this thread into a more appropriate section. The OP will benefit from having it in the open forum, and I think he will be overwelmed with the many possibilities for his shelby Z!! If the OP has any specific question concerning FWD-P products feel free to post up in the this/our section!

later,
Cindy

turbovanmanČ
03-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Well, a thread in the FWD Performance section and already have advertisements for
boostbutton, Simon's wires and RBryant... LOL

Mods please move this thread into a more appropriate section. The OP will benefit from having it in the open forum, and I think he will be overwelmed with the many possibilities for his shelby Z!! If the OP has any specific question concerning FWD-P products feel free to post up in the this/our section!

later,
Cindy

My bad, lol, I thought this was in the general section due to his questions, lol.

And yes, FWD has some stuff you can use too, :p

Reeves
03-04-2011, 09:42 AM
FWD Performance FTW!

Vigo
03-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Wow, i totally did not notice what section it was in!! I just clicked 'new posts'.. oops.

shellboy
03-07-2011, 12:44 AM
just call cindy at 1-281-288-4411 and tell her how much money you have to spend. she will fix you up nice!!

86trbolancer
03-15-2011, 06:15 PM
+2 call Cindy

my stage 3 t2 comp works great