PDA

View Full Version : '89 Daytona CS - what to take?

Anonymous_User
07-05-2006, 11:22 AM
I got a call this morning from a local pick yer part. They pulled in a Daytona and knew that I come hunting for parts often. I went up to take a look.

'89 Daytona CS. T1. 5-Speed.

This should be a 2.5 CB, right? What transmission would this be? Reverse is next to 1st gear.

It's got 4-wheel disc brakes.

My car started as a '86 Laser and is now a Turbo Z clone. So, what parts should I keep off of the CS?

Engine and tranny for sure (I don't know the condition)
Shifter, cables
Clutch pedal, cables
Front and rear brake assembly
Master cylinder
Prop valve
Rear axle - maybe a solid sway?
Front sway bar - what diameter?
Coil springs any better than what I have?

What else? I'm waiting for the yard owner to shoot me a price on the whole car. I'll trailer it home a strip it. It's got perfect rocker panels !! and decent floor pans !! Door hinges are busted, windsheild is busted. Don't see any other major damage. I'm hoping its a headgasket/turbo that caused it to be junked.

shelby1.5turbo
07-06-2006, 06:57 AM
I got a call this morning from a local pick yer part. They pulled in a Daytona and knew that I come hunting for parts often. I went up to take a look.

'89 Daytona CS. T1. 5-Speed.

This should be a 2.5 CB, right? What transmission would this be? Reverse is next to 1st gear.

It's got 4-wheel disc brakes.

My car started as a '86 Laser and is now a Turbo Z clone. So, what parts should I keep off of the CS?

Engine and tranny for sure (I don't know the condition)
Shifter, cables
Clutch pedal, cables
Front and rear brake assembly
Master cylinder
Prop valve
Rear axle - maybe a solid sway?
Front sway bar - what diameter?
Coil springs any better than what I have?

What else? I'm waiting for the yard owner to shoot me a price on the whole car. I'll trailer it home a strip it. It's got perfect rocker panels !! and decent floor pans !! Door hinges are busted, windsheild is busted. Don't see any other major damage. I'm hoping its a headgasket/turbo that caused it to be junked.

Some earlier '89s came with the 2.2 noncommon block (left over from the 88 model year) but should be the 2.5. Trans might be the a555 5 speed. All brake components and convert to all wheel disc brakes (if not already done). To do a five speed conversion everything should bolt in shifter, cables, pedal assembly. I hope on your '86 you have the 8 bolt flywheel cause the 6 bolts are hard as hell to find. other than that everything else is straight forward.

R/T
07-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Don't forget the 4 piviot K member and A arms, good stuff.

It should be the 89 short shifter, too....

A CS should have all the good suspension / brakes.

Just take it all!! ;)

banger68
07-06-2006, 12:14 PM
In 89, if it has a T1 it should have a A520.

banger68
07-06-2006, 01:02 PM
C/S info

http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/shelby/sheldodd.htm

Tony Hanna
07-06-2006, 01:11 PM
The competition package (AGS) models were 2.2/T2/555. The non competition package models (like my old one) were 2.5/T1/520 or 413.

Anonymous_User
07-08-2006, 03:49 PM
All right, I started tearing into it today. Wow, this thing shouldn't have ever been to the j-yard! Solid car!!

Questions:

(1) What benefit would I have from using the '89 k-member and a-arms over my '86 version?

(2) The '89 front Daytona brakes, are they as good as the '89 Caravan brakes? Probably not. I'm not really ready to retire my '89 Caravan and steal the brakes off of it.... What if I put the daytona brakes on the van so I can use the Caravan brakes on my Turbo Z?

(3) Will the 520 shifter out of the '89 CS work with a 523 transmisson? Given the option of the '89 520 or an '91 523, which tranny should I use?

(4) The non-competition CS springs - are they any better than my '86 Laser springs? It was not an XT. (well, it wasn't badged as an XT, but the XE would have had a digital dash, and the Turbo 1 was only available in the XE and XT, right?)

The CS has solid floor pans and front wheel wells, perfect rocker panels, newer struts and shocks (nothing fancy, but newer), new front rotors, newer axles, and of course it has the vented rear disc brakes. I planned on a lot of hunting to come up with all the parts I'll be pulling off of this car. Oh, and when I got it home on the trailer, I put some jumper cables on it and drove it around. No smoke, no noises, clutch and tranny work great.

Tony Hanna
07-08-2006, 08:47 PM
For the transmission, the 520 would be an easier install as you should be able to use your stock shifter, and (with a little modification) cables, the 523 would be a touch stronger and have a better shift feel, but would require changing the shifter and cables. Either of them would be a major improvement over a 525.

edit: Just noticed you have an auto. In that case, I'd opt for the 523 since you'll have to install the shifter and cables anyway.