PDA

View Full Version : Forcedfedmopars VAN

Pages : [1] 2

forcedfedmopar
03-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Well after searching for 6 months or so i finally brought home a van. Its a 94 dodge caravan short wheel base. Factory 5 speed! (523 with 3.77 final drive) Blue exterior and grey interior. COMPLETELY rust free!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

The previous owner was an apartment maintenence guy. So i got it with no rear seats and a sweet custom made wood lock box! (for sale now, lol) It had been parked on the street and got nicked by a drunk driver so its missing the side molding on the drivers side and has a few dings in the fender. Other than that the paint is...OK for a 94 and there is absolutely rust free! i picked it up sunday and brought it to work monday and swapped my SRT wheels onto it and washed it. Threw all the crap away inside and cleaned it up a bit.

Plans are to get a complete interior out of salvage yard along with power windows, locks, mirriors and rear defrost.

Drive it for a bit and work on building a nice stockish 2.5 for it with a FMIC and a few other little things. This is going to be my DD/ Parts hauler. Its replacing my 5 series BMW.

pics;
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/102_0054.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/102_0056.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/102_0055.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/102_0058.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/102_0061.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/102_0060.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/102_0062.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/102_0063.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/102_0071.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/102_0065.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Im super excited about the van. Im going to buff it tomorrow after work. Ill go to the salvage yard this weekend in hopes of finding a nice interior. Id like the grey interior with the red stripes. and if i could find 4 buckets for it that would be great. I dont want the 3rd row seat. That will be the dogs room.

135sohc
03-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Pressure-wash the underside and it would look like it just rolled off the line, nice find.

Reeves
03-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Pressure-wash the underside and it would look like it just rolled off the line, nice find.

x2! :thumb:

Turbodave
03-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Looks nice! I wish my van was that solid

supercrackerbox
03-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Shoot me a text when you go to the yard?

forcedfedmopar
03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
will stock spirit r/t springs or stock shadow ES springs lower the van and still keep a decent ride?

Reeves
03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
will stock spirit r/t springs or stock shadow ES springs lower the van and still keep a decent ride?

I have stock spirit R/T springs on mine as well as K-based struts (ordered them for a Shelby Z, but I think they are all the same part number). It lowers it about 3" if I remember correctly and rides really nice.

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Looks great, nice find, :nod:

KC is your friend, lol, and putting 11" front brakes on there is cake, you just need to find some calipers and brackets, rotors, done! :partywoot:

Lowering a van (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/content.php?187-How-to-lower-an-S-Body-Minivan.)

forcedfedmopar
03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Looks great, nice find, :nod:

KC is your friend, lol, and putting 11" front brakes on there is cake, you just need to find some calipers and brackets, rotors, done! :partywoot:

Lowering a van (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/content.php?187-How-to-lower-an-S-Body-Minivan.)

SWEET! i just read the articles. I have a set of shadow ES strut assemblies out in the garage. looks like lowering the front will be cake. I think ill go with adjustable shakles on the rear. i dont want to give up too much load carrying abilites.

Vigo
03-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Hmm, seems familiar..

Oh i know! http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?51321-1995-Plymouth-Voyager-Turbo&highlight=

Have fun with it, you'll be joining a pretty exclusive club: "turbo-swapped 5spd 2nd gen vans".. :p

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2011, 05:49 PM
SWEET! i just read the articles. I have a set of shadow ES strut assemblies out in the garage. looks like lowering the front will be cake. I think ill go with adjustable shakles on the rear. i dont want to give up too much load carrying abilites.

You'll have to do the Dempsey mod to use adjustable shackles or you can do the rear disc conversion and make up the plates to lower it.

forcedfedmopar
03-01-2011, 06:10 PM
You'll have to do the Dempsey mod to use adjustable shackles or you can do the rear disc conversion and make up the plates to lower it.

well. I wont be doing a rear disc conversion. This van will end up AWD eventually. I already have all the parts to do so. But first thing is getting it turbo'd. The AWD wont happen for a year or so.

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2011, 06:16 PM
well. I wont be doing a rear disc conversion. This van will end up AWD eventually. I already have all the parts to do so. But first thing is getting it turbo'd. The AWD wont happen for a year or so.

Nice, I keep throwing AWD around but I just justify the time and money to do it.

forcedfedmopar
03-01-2011, 06:23 PM
I actually have a complete running driving AWD mini. I bought it a few years ago for dirt and thought about AWD's my CSX. But i sold that car so the vans just been sitting waiting to go to a good use. I drive it when the snow is bad enough. Ill be parting it out shortly so if anyone needs any interior parts now would be the time to ask! It has burgandy interior. only 100K on it and an old couple owned it. The interior is spotless. Actually the exterior is pretty nice except a few small spots.

Keito
03-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Amazing what a set of wheels do for a vehicle.

Vigo
03-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Having an awd donor is nice.. fuel tank etc.

Are you intending to somehow mate the AWD to the 8v? There are documented interference issues if that's what you're considering.

forcedfedmopar
03-01-2011, 10:02 PM

Are you intending to somehow mate the AWD to the 8v? There are documented interference issues if that's what you're considering.

I will probably go with a 2.4 when i go with the AWD plan. What problems are you talking about?

Kreel
03-01-2011, 10:13 PM
I will probably go with a 2.4 when i go with the AWD plan. What problems are you talking about?

You have to grind material out of the block to make the PTU fit. Apparently you end up hitting an oil drain :(

I confirmed a 3.0L block works with AWD, and lotsaboost confirmed the 2.4L block works. Sadly no one has found a way to get 2.2L/2.5L to work.

forcedfedmopar
03-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I was thinking i would use a 2.4 to take advantage of the DOHC and availible parts. I like the fact that it should get decent MPGs with the 2.4. I know going to the AWD will make MPGs suffer a little but since this is my DD it really only gets used on rainy/snowy days. The rest of the time i ride my bike. I will use a 568 for the trans. Id like to use a distributor and keep the SBEC/SMEC for tuning. I dont want to go the Megasquirt route for a DD. My overall goal for this thing is to be the ultimate DD. I have 2 large dogs, a kid and my lady to haul. I want the AWD for winter time as my other van is the sh!t in the snow.

Reeves
03-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Ill be parting it out shortly so if anyone needs any interior parts now would be the time to ask! It has burgandy interior. only 100K on it and an old couple owned it. The interior is spotless. Actually the exterior is pretty nice except a few small spots.

Too bad your so far away. I'd like the complete interior as mine is pretty much sh*t.

forcedfedmopar
03-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Depending on how much it would be to ship you could still get it! I could crate it all up and ship it freight?

Reeves
03-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Depending on how much it would be to ship you could still get it! I could crate it all up and ship it freight?

Sounds $$$??

You coming to SDAC in Chicago this year?

forcedfedmopar
03-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Sounds $$$??
You coming to SDAC in Chicago this year?

planning on it.

Reeves
03-02-2011, 12:12 PM
planning on it.

Sweet. Maybe you'd have room for it?

forcedfedmopar
03-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Depends whos coming with. I will probably be in my spirit dollying the omni. But maybe if we get enough people going with in other vehicles maybe we could fit it all? Doubtful tho.

Reeves
03-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Depends whos coming with. I will probably be in my spirit dollying the omni. But maybe if we get enough people going with in other vehicles maybe we could fit it all? Doubtful tho.

Gotcha.

RoadWarrior222
03-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Plans are to get a complete interior out of salvage yard along with power windows, locks, mirriors and rear defrost.

If you want defrost, I'd just buy one of those aftermarket kits for it. Otherwise, you'd be into finding a tailgate that is in same or better condition that yours with working wiper etc preferably in the same color... and just "not very rusty" ones tend to run to $200.... at least in rustbelt areas.... the "just the glass" approach is also a crapshoot and you'll probably want a glass installer to do it unless you're okay with chasing leaks for 6 months and potentially rusting your thus far unrusty tailgate... this will also tend to run spendy...

If you had a rotted gate with a siezed wiper, I'd say, sure, look for one with defrost... but if yours is in premium shape already, unless you get real lucky it's just far easier and cheaper to get a stick on defroster.

Big_P
03-02-2011, 06:07 PM
I had one of them, too!

http://www.angelfire.com/ri2/turbominivan/in.jpg

Vigo
03-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Wish i knew as much then as i do now.. I would have been able to help a lot more. But i do still remember all the many times we talked about that van, and even remember some burnout vids and off-roading too. hehehehe

forcedfedmopar
03-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Ill looking the after market rear defrost. Ill also cover my seat heater install in the upcoming weeks!
This weekend i sealed the engine up nice and dry! Put new cam, crank, aux shaft and retainer seal, valve cover, and oil pan gaskets on. Also changed all teh filters, fluids, plugs, wires, ect. Runs GREAT now. Filled the tank up to the top. Ill also report what kind of MPGs i get with this beauty.

forcedfedmopar
03-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Put 4 bucket seats in the van today as well as a clean carpet set from the junkyard. Went from manual to power drivers seat. Also grabbed a few missing interior pieces. Lucked onto another SWB van the same color so i grabbed the side molding pieces from that. Shes cleaning up real nice!

Still havent put gas in so MPG is still up in the air

pics coming soon.

forcedfedmopar
03-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Also picked up a CD/ tape player combo! forgot to mention and very excited about it.

forcedfedmopar
03-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Sunday i lowerd the front using Struts/springs from a 90 shadow es, lowered the back by taking out one leaf. Has a nice rake to it now! Put in my CD/Tape head unit in. I also wired up the drivers power seat!. A new steering rack is on the way to fix my last and final leak. Then off to alighnment by the end of the week hopefully!

moparman76_69
04-02-2011, 05:17 PM

You have to grind material out of the block to make the PTU fit. Apparently you end up hitting an oil drain :(

I confirmed a 3.0L block works with AWD, and lotsaboost confirmed the 2.4L block works. Sadly no one has found a way to get 2.2L/2.5L to work.

Where's the documentation?

forcedfedmopar
06-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Im going 2.4. I have slowly been collecting parts, I have sourced a 99 stratus 2.4 block with SRT rods/pistons. I have pt cruiser head. Just picked up all 16 valves from mopar for a 2005 srt along with the head gasket. I have a 568 sitting under the bench.

Ive been getting 17-18mpg in town and the last trip down to the track towing the omni i got 21!

Vigo
06-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Still with 3.0 right?

If you're going 2.4 id skip the 2.5 part entirely.. I think that's what you're doing but not 100% sure just by reading this.

Dodge Aries K
06-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Stick shift van is so awesome. I enjoy owning a 1992 Voyager factory 5 speed but I really want to find a 94 eventually. Did you know you can easily swap in the digital dash from a town and country or easily swap in the full feature analog cluster? I swapped in the Town and Country dash (and bcm to drive it) into my 92 Voyager and it gained headlamp off delay as well which is a pretty nice feature.

forcedfedmopar
06-20-2011, 03:17 PM
no my van is a 2.5l factory 5 speed. I AM GOING 2.4 with it. ive collected pretty much everything i will need for a major start.

Dodge Aries K
06-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Wait a second, you tow a car with a TBI minivan?!

RoadWarrior222
06-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Springs about the same, brakes about the same, torque.... not so much... probably wanna use truck routing on yer GPS so you get the 5000ft on ramps.

forcedfedmopar
06-20-2011, 05:24 PM
LOL, yes i tow with it. Its actually not bad at all! I can cruise right along at 65-70 in 5th. NOW, getting up to speed is a bit of a challenge! And long hills i usually drop to 4th. Im towing to SDAC on saturday with it!

Dodge Aries K
06-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Oh man, that's so awesome! I look forward to seeing that.

Vigo
06-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Towing with a tbi/5spd should be fine. Might have to floor it and downshift to get up hills but it would do it. As for power.. my 2.5/5spd tbi was as fast as a 3.0/3spd at low speeds, if not faster. I dont think a 3.0/3spd would have a real advantage until maybe ~55 mph. Mine ran 18.2@73 bone stock. Probably could have gotten into 17s if i cared to try, but now its turbo, too late!

Also, mine avg'd 27mpg and would get 33 if you did 55mph. I dont know why so many people are stuck in the low 20s with these things.

forcedfedmopar
06-20-2011, 07:05 PM
My problem with milage is that i live 1 mile from work, so i have a ton of idle time. But it gets better than my 528i did for MPG's. Im sure youll see me. Blue van with a Bright blue omni in tow. Im sure ill be the only one!

RoadWarrior222
06-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Man I get 17-18 out of mine short trippin' the city when it's -10 out, there's 6ins of snow and slush and I start it for 5 mins before I drive it to clear the windows.... and that's the 3.0 V6 with a 3 spd auto.

Dodge Aries K
06-20-2011, 10:45 PM
I can say the TBI 5 speed beats the 3.0 3 speed from a 0-60 run. Been there done that LOL

RoadWarrior222
06-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Mine does 60 in about 10 flat.... well I guess I should say did last year, it's sickly at the moment.

forcedfedmopar
06-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Maybe ill have to park the GLHT and run the VAN on tuesdays drags!

RoadWarrior222
06-21-2011, 11:32 AM
If you do better than 18s I'll be impressed :D

forcedfedmopar
06-21-2011, 01:36 PM
if i do better than 18s id crap myself! The van is by far the SLOWEST vehicle i have ever owned! Its pretty depressing. Thats why im doing the swap + AWD. SWAP=no depression. Im doing it for my health!

Vigo
06-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Man that makes me wonder. I was always amazed how good my van felt for having 100hp in a minivan. I raced a lot of normal 16 second cars on the street and hung til ~50. I raced a ~160hp avenger that weighed about the same on the highway and ran about even. I raced a turbo/auto van i bought that was intercooled on 13 psi and hung with that too. I know that van wasnt running right, but still.. The tbi/5spd van was FAR from the slowest thing ive ever owned.. but then again my daily driver does have 63hp. Funny thing, the Insight is faster than the van was from about 80-105. :p

RoadWarrior222
06-21-2011, 07:02 PM
TBIs with the auto were a bit like that too, maybe not as high as 50, but torquey off the line, in the city, couldn't feel much diff between the TBI and the 6 until it got some weight in it.

Vigo
06-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Tbi/auto caravans are horrendous. I remember rebuilding a trans in one and on the test drive i couldnt get it over 55 on city streets, flooring it non-stop. I usually avoided highways on the very first test drive. Im sure it would do highway speeds just fine after about a half-mile straight, but i personally would NEVER EVER recommend that anyone buy a tbi/auto van. :yuck:

Dodge Aries K
06-21-2011, 09:48 PM
I had one for a very short period of time... it had too many issues so it got scrapped... but it was able to squeal the tires taking off from a stop LOL.

forcedfedmopar
06-21-2011, 11:15 PM
I can do a decent clutch drop/tire spin from a stop. here it is from the last trip to the track

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/102_0399.jpg]
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/102_0407.jpg

Dodge Aries K
06-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Well, yesterday we took mine past Milwaukee and back and with lots of 75 MPH highway, a huge storm blowing the poor van all over the place, and quite a bit of sitting idling with the a/c on the whole time it worked out to get about 26 MPG.

Vigo
06-22-2011, 02:32 PM
The pictures look great. I like the lowering. Which leaf did you take out?

forcedfedmopar
06-22-2011, 03:32 PM
I took the one that is about 22 inches long out. I wanted it lower but did want to loose all my load carring abilities. So until i get helper bags thats how it will be.

forcedfedmopar
11-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Well, ive been driving the crap out of this thing daily. Ive towed the omni all over with it. But the time has come. The headgasket went, pouring smoke out and running like crap. So i started building a 2.5 turbo motor for it. I should have the block back from the machine shop wed or thurs. Its .020 over with hyper pistons. I picked 7:8:1 pistons, Decked the block, and ill shave the head.

Depending on finances i will go ahead and build a +1 +1 head for it, port clean up and a little bowl work. basically mimic what i did with the head for my GLH. I will use stock valve train for now (easy to upgrade later).

Im going with a stock t2 garrett for now, but when i pull the super 60 off the GLH i will put it on the Van.

Ill pick up a FMIC and throw that on after getting the engine broken in.

Dodge Aries K
11-13-2011, 11:23 PM
In an odd way the fact that it's getting boosted makes me sad. They were great for how simple they are.

Vigo
11-14-2011, 12:17 AM
In an odd way the fact that it's getting boosted makes me sad. They were great for how simple they are.

I can understand that. I dont like mine more now that it's turbo. There's something just.. really good about a tbi/5spd minivan. Amazing combination of simple, reliable, efficient, useful, cheap... it's a majorly cool vehicle in my book!

But i do enjoy ripping it up with the turbo now. Dont get me wrong.

forcedfedmopar
11-14-2011, 01:23 AM
I agree. I also would like more power from it. I tow alot and it would be nice to be able to keep speed going up hills. I love the van. The plan has always been to turbo it, but use the 2.4 but im not in the right financial way right now to build a 2.4. I have all the 2.5 stuff so this is a cheap build.

turbovanmanČ
11-14-2011, 01:56 AM
I can do a decent clutch drop/tire spin from a stop. here it is from the last trip to the track

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/102_0399.jpg]
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/102_0407.jpg

Pics are dead!

Bummer your not going 2.4, was looking forward to that build.

supercrackerbox
11-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Ill pick up a FMIC and throw that on after getting the engine broken in.

I think Nate is still trying to sell the FMIC off his Daytona. He had a thread on SCR not too long ago.

forcedfedmopar
11-14-2011, 10:34 AM
I think Nate is still trying to sell the FMIC off his Daytona. He had a thread on SCR not too long ago.

yea i saw it. only 2in, inlet and outlets. not big enough.

86Shelby
11-14-2011, 03:34 PM
How big of a cooler you looking for? I have a decent selection, biggest is a dual TD core; though I have a turbo Grand Prix cooler which is very close to a S60 core to make a tripe core...

forcedfedmopar
11-14-2011, 03:36 PM
not sure what i can fit upfront yet. Space looks rather limited. Wont know until I pull the bumper cover off and measure. Thanks tho. I will keep those in mind.

forcedfedmopar
11-16-2011, 10:41 PM
and the van is going under the knife soon! I went to leave a friends house and the engine wouldnt turn over! pulled the plugs and #1 was FULL of coolant! cleared the cylinders and got it running, drove her home and put it in the garage. The machine shop called today and said there would be done with the block today or tomorrow! looks like the big valve head will have to wait. I need to get this thing on the road ASAP. Ill just build a big head for it in the future i guess. for now stock will have to do.

86Shelby
11-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Step 1 Lift.

Step 2 Slide.

Step 3 Continue to build engine not on a rushed timeline.

Step 4 ???????

Step 5 Profit.

:)

Vigo
11-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Jason Hagger ran 13.4 in a basic intercooled 5spd van on 18psi, stock motor. That's not really even pushing it that hard. I dont think stock head is a big deal. Id build a modded 1pc before i messed with the head.

forcedfedmopar
11-17-2011, 12:41 AM
The top end will get most of the same treatments my GLH got. Im not building a racecar tho. Just want it to be efficient. I never plan on going past 15psi with it.

ray i LOL'd when reading that! But swapping a top end is no biggie and will allow me to make changes as i see fit. Im fine with it only having 350tq instead of 450.

forcedfedmopar
11-24-2011, 01:23 AM
will take pictures tomorrow, got the block back from the machine shop. Put the crank in today, put the rods and pistons together, measured ring end gap. What are guys running with HYPER pistons? i was gonna go 20 on the top gap and 16 on the 2nd ring. and 16 on the oil control. Whats everyone like?

86Shelby
11-24-2011, 03:23 AM
I prefer the second ring gap to be slightly larger than the top. I can't remember what the equation is to set gap based off bore.

forcedfedmopar
11-24-2011, 12:14 PM
you want the second LARGER than the top? why would you do that? the pistons have a sheet in them that said if they would be used in a high po or towing app to increase the top ring gap by 40% and leave the second gap stock to slightly larger

turbovanmanČ
11-24-2011, 07:58 PM
you want the second LARGER than the top? why would you do that? the pistons have a sheet in them that said if they would be used in a high po or towing app to increase the top ring gap by 40% and leave the second gap stock to slightly larger

We've bashed this to death, lol, things have changed, you want a bigger gap on the 2nd ring to avoid flutter.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?51107-Ring-gap-questions-for-the-2nd-ring!-This-should-be-good.&highlight=ring+gap

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?23322-Piston-Ring-Gap&highlight=ring+gap

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?10951-JE-ring-set-end-gap-question&highlight=ring+gap

forcedfedmopar
11-24-2011, 10:53 PM
hmm.. interesting read. I made the top gap larger than the second on both F.I. engines ive done and had 0 faults. Maybe ill try the second gap larger this time and see what happens.

Reeves
11-25-2011, 11:51 AM
How much boost do you plan to run with those Hypers????

forcedfedmopar
11-25-2011, 11:55 AM
12-15 psi. nothing more. like ive said before this thing isnt going to be a race car, but more likely a tow vehicle.

Vigo
11-25-2011, 12:59 PM
I cant wait to try towing with mine. Maybe i should work on it ever.. lol

forcedfedmopar
11-26-2011, 08:09 PM
found time to make it out to the shop today. I decided to set the piston ring end gap to .018 top and .020 second. I got the rotating assembly together and the block painted I also ripped off the oil pan baffles and cleaned the inside of the pan. The pan was smashed bad from the pervious owner "dukes of hazarding" the shadow it was in. So i got out the dolly and welder and straightened it out. It looks straight enough for my tow vehicle. pics

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1861.jpg
I always flow the oil opening into the galley.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1863-1.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1866.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1870.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1869.jpg
I will hopefully get back out to the shop tomorrow and get the oil pan finished and the retainer on the aux shaft.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Will also hopefully get the drivetrain pulled from the van and get the head off of the old engine. If the head looks good i will send it to the shop to get guides, valve job, and decked.

forcedfedmopar
11-27-2011, 09:13 PM
brought the van into the shop to make things happen. pics;
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1884.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1878.jpg
draining the oil/coolant mix before pulling the engine out!!!
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1887.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1889.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1900.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1903.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1898-1.jpg

Vigo
11-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Yummy.

Sundance 6g72
11-28-2011, 03:41 PM
didnt it have snowflake wheels on it when i saw it at drag week?

RoadWarrior222
11-28-2011, 03:44 PM
draining the oil/coolant mix before pulling the engine out!!!
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1887.jpg

You know if you centrifuge that you can reuse it :D

turbovanmanČ
11-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Mmmmmmmm, chocolate milk, ;)

forcedfedmopar
11-28-2011, 05:34 PM
didnt it have snowflake wheels on it when i saw it at drag week?

no, it had SRT-4 wheels. W-R Nokiens for winter time on white pumpers.

RoadWarrior222
11-28-2011, 05:42 PM

Well that's easy then, all you have to do is saw off the diff housing, weld in a 1 inch spacer, use a funky combo of ring and pinion gears to mate up, goose all the mounts an inch forward so it lines back up again... ... ...

forcedfedmopar
11-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Well that's easy then, all you have to do is saw off the diff housing, weld in a 1 inch spacer, use a funky combo of ring and pinion gears to mate up, goose all the mounts an inch forward so it lines back up again... ... ...

lol. keeping it simple for now. I still would love to AWD this thing, but for now i will settle for getting out of my own way. I have a big project right now anyway, no time for messn with the daily.

turbovanmanČ
11-28-2011, 10:25 PM
If your turbocharging your daily, aka the van, how are you going to control the FI?

forcedfedmopar
11-29-2011, 10:51 AM
whats FI? forced induction? I plan on putting a boost controller on it?

forcedfedmopar
11-29-2011, 01:02 PM
fuel injection? ill let the computer do that.

turbovanmanČ
11-29-2011, 01:47 PM
fuel injection? ill let the computer do that.

How? there was no turbo fuel injection for 2nd gen vans. Are you splicing another wiring harness in? Others have done it but its a pain as the computer runs the dash, a/c, cruise, and other things.

RoadWarrior222
11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Woulda thunk that a '93 spirit ES 'pooter would be nearest to plug and pray... but probably still plenty to figure out.

turbovanmanČ
11-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Woulda thunk that a '93 spirit ES 'pooter would be nearest to plug and pray... but probably still plenty to figure out.

People have tried, its been documented on here a few times, most make a custom harness then do without certain creature comforts. Big P was the last one to try and he gave up IIRC.

forcedfedmopar
11-29-2011, 02:25 PM
WAIT! i cant just plug it in and go!???! omg what will i do?

im using 89 electronics for the engine, making a custom harness. im sure there will be obsticles but it will be worth it.

turbovanmanČ
11-29-2011, 02:38 PM
WAIT! i cant just plug it in and go!???! omg what will i do?

im using 89 electronics for the engine, making a custom harness. im sure there will be obsticles but it will be worth it.

Hahahahah, awesome, hope it works out, you'll be the a pioneer for this swap, :nod:

RoadWarrior222
11-29-2011, 02:49 PM
'There has been others finished and running, just not on here...

I would classify at least one of the failures as not attempted by "the sharpest bulb in the barrel" so don't act poleaxed if you run into difficulties and you'll probably make it.

forcedfedmopar
11-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Hahahahah, awesome, hope it works out, you'll be the a pioneer for this swap, :nod:

i dont think i am. strax22 ? did something very similar. ended up using dash out of a daytona for the gauges to work. I believe that they also turned on some functions in the ecm for stuff? lol

86Shelby
11-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Does the van have the SBECII or the earlier SBEC? If it's the SBECII...I dunno what he's going to do easily. Maybe do a little wiring and run a 2.5TI SBEC?

turbovanmanČ
11-29-2011, 02:52 PM
i dont think i am. strax22 ? did something very similar. ended up using dash out of a daytona for the gauges to work. I believe that they also turned on some functions in the ecm for stuff? lol

No, not for a running 2nd Gen turbo van, but a SMEC power 2nd Gen turbo van, :nod:

Edit, your right, I just checked, he's using a SMEC, for some reason, I thought he was SBEC?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?51321-1995-Plymouth-Voyager-Turbo&highlight=van

forcedfedmopar
11-29-2011, 03:44 PM
'There has been others finished and running, just not on here...

I would classify at least one of the failures as not attempted by "the sharpest bulb in the barrel" so don't act poleaxed if you run into difficulties and you'll probably make it.

i dont doubt at all that there will be issues. But i really like the idea of doing this. The only real issue that i see is insturments. if i keep the stock gauge set. (which i wont cause it doesnt have a tach) Getting her running will be fairly simple in my mind. Everything runs off of the 89 computer as far as engine is concerned. SRS shouldnt be affected, and i dont have ABS. I can live without cruise for now. when im ready for it then i will tackle that. What else am i missing/overlooking?

turbovanmanČ
11-29-2011, 04:06 PM
i dont doubt at all that there will be issues. But i really like the idea of doing this. The only real issue that i see is insturments. if i keep the stock gauge set. (which i wont cause it doesnt have a tach) Getting her running will be fairly simple in my mind. Everything runs off of the 89 computer as far as engine is concerned. SRS shouldnt be affected, and i dont have ABS. I can live without cruise for now. when im ready for it then i will tackle that. What else am i missing/overlooking?

I think that's it, the radio is also part of it, maybe ask Strax22 what he found.

c2xejk
11-29-2011, 07:25 PM
I am curious what everybody thinks the issue will be. A couple years ago, I swapped a '91 Shadow ecu into '91 Voyager and the full instrument cluster worked at normal. I am currently running a '93 ecu in a '91 car (my Spirit.) These were both on a 3L v6, but the instrument cluster interface should be similar.

On my '87 (with a '92 instrument cluster) I am running a Mega-Squirt and have the full gauge functionality (other than the tachometer reading low...)

Ed Kelly

86Shelby
11-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Why go SMEC and not SBEC?

forcedfedmopar
11-29-2011, 10:37 PM
i dont have one, and im not gonna pay for one when i have 7 smecs sitting on the shelf, including performance ones.

Vigo
11-30-2011, 01:13 AM

Yeah, Strax22. The daytona dash was not to get the gauges to work, it was just something cool to do.. full gauges and factory boost gauge etc. I think his factory cluster had next to no gauges on it, but it did work after he figured out the wiring.

The issue is that the instrument cluster is run by the body control module over a databus. The cluster does not get the individual raw signals from the sensors like the older ones. If i remember correctly, the inputs to the BCM are still the raw signals. So, it was just a matter of getting the signals to the BCM instead of straight to the instrument cluster. I will refer him to this thread so he can correct me.. i was there when it happened but my memory is crappy. lol

the radio is also part of it,

As far as i remember there is no real difference in how the radio works from the older stuff. There's no computer control associated with the radio.. the only thing that might be different is i think the dimmer signal comes from the BCM instead of directly from the headlight switch, but it's the same kind of signal as the older stuff as far as i know.

turbovanmanČ
11-30-2011, 03:43 AM
I am curious what everybody thinks the issue will be. A couple years ago, I swapped a '91 Shadow ecu into '91 Voyager and the full instrument cluster worked at normal. I am currently running a '93 ecu in a '91 car (my Spirit.) These were both on a 3L v6, but the instrument cluster interface should be similar.

On my '87 (with a '92 instrument cluster) I am running a Mega-Squirt and have the full gauge functionality (other than the tachometer reading low...)

Ed Kelly

Not sure why no one does that, has to be a reason why? Maybe there is no drop in turbo harness so people make their own. I am considering picking up a 93 TBI van, if the SBEC was plug and play, I'd be all over turbo charging it for the wife.

RoadWarrior222
11-30-2011, 06:40 AM
As far as i remember there is no real difference in how the radio works from the older stuff. There's no computer control associated with the radio.. the only thing that might be different is i think the dimmer signal comes from the BCM instead of directly from the headlight switch, but it's the same kind of signal as the older stuff as far as i know.I could see if there were steering wheel controls, the radio would be a PITA, might use the CCD bus then. I'd figure you'd want a SBEC that speaks the same version of CCD to make things smoother. Using a low trim van might help. OTOH a computer from a LeBaron might have more bells and whistles available than a base turbo plymouth or dodge.

forcedfedmopar
11-30-2011, 11:56 AM
radio isnt a big deal, they need power and ground to work, has nothing to do with body computer. Im pretty sure in my case that the only thing that wouldnt work would be the gauges. and worse come to worse ill just wire in an old insturment cluster from my shadow or something to work correctly. there are ways around this.

Vigo
11-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Totally agree. I know Strax22 doesnt have any regrets. :)

BTW he just drove a 300 mile trip at 80-85mph, having some fun with boost here and there, and got between 23-24mpg.

forcedfedmopar
12-01-2011, 08:32 PM
ok, so i got the old engine and trans seperated tonight. These things had modular clutches! wtf? it looks to be in really good shape (from what i can see). How much torque are they rated to? Could a person use that with a mild turbo and be ok? Then in the future switch to a regular flywheel and clutch set up.

(im pretty sure i can but wanted to get someone elses opinion)

86Shelby
12-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I just did my best brown dog impression tilting my head to the side saying 'huh?' when I read modular clutch. I'm pretty sure I said it in my best Tim Allen pronunciation. Send me a pic! Please.

turbovanmanČ
12-01-2011, 11:06 PM
ok, so i got the old engine and trans seperated tonight. These things had modular clutches! wtf? it looks to be in really good shape (from what i can see). How much torque are they rated to? Could a person use that with a mild turbo and be ok? Then in the future switch to a regular flywheel and clutch set up.

(im pretty sure i can but wanted to get someone elses opinion)

:needpics1:

forcedfedmopar
12-01-2011, 11:14 PM
i didnt have my camera with me at work but heres a link to advanced autos web site.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_New-Clutch-Set-Perfection-Clutch_19330172-P_244_R%7CGRP60006_____

apparently dodge decided to put modular clutches in the vans ONLY? the same year same engine/trans shadow has a regular clutch. Im wondering how strong these are? they much be a touch stronger than regular clutches in our cars. Why else would chrysler put em in the vans only? At least thats my thought process on it.

ill try to take a few pics tomorrow.

Meanwhile. What does everyone think?

A: ya! try it and tell us how it works!
B: are you retarded? put a regular clutch in

RoadWarrior222
12-01-2011, 11:22 PM
nSRT-4 has a modular clutch from factory, dunno if it's a similar unit.

StraX22
12-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Cool project!

The only real difference is that on the 89 SMEC, it has the CCD data bus, but the specific information needed to run all of the gauges was missing. I think the only thing it was missing was the speedo / odometer. Also, the cruise control on the newer van uses a resistive signal instead of discrete switch closures to read the steering wheel controls. You will need the switch bar and the clock spring from a donor vehicle, and run the extra wires through the bulkhead to get it to work. All in all not a bad deal.
As far as the dimmer circuit goes, I think it's rather silly. They went from using a rheostat to using a FET located in the BCM to handle it. Mine wasn't working and I tested all the wires and even reverse engineered the circuit in the BCM to get it to work to no avail. Instead I just jumpered the dimmer output pin to the "headlight on" pin. Now that I look back on it I probably just needed to replace the FET.

As far as I could tell, everything else is stand alone. Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

Vigo
12-01-2011, 11:23 PM
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/15378271/images/1308996013494.jpg
WHY U NO PICSTURES ALREADY?!?!?!

This is literally the first ive heard of this in the 10 years ive been on k-car forums.

Ive taken apart a 5spd van of your generation and never found a clutch like that. My 90 certainly didnt have one.

I would vote run it and find out. Clutches arent hard, especially in vans.

turbovanmanČ
12-01-2011, 11:32 PM
i didnt have my camera with me at work but heres a link to advanced autos web site.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_New-Clutch-Set-Perfection-Clutch_19330172-P_244_R%7CGRP60006_____

apparently dodge decided to put modular clutches in the vans ONLY? the same year same engine/trans shadow has a regular clutch. Im wondering how strong these are? they much be a touch stronger than regular clutches in our cars. Why else would chrysler put em in the vans only? At least thats my thought process on it.

ill try to take a few pics tomorrow.

Meanwhile. What does everyone think?

A: ya! try it and tell us how it works!
B: are you retarded? put a regular clutch in

You forgot one-

C: are you retarded, run the mod clutch, :nod:

So I vote C. Measure the disc diameter, then compare to a stocker, if larger, then use the mod unit. The price is reasonable too, or maybe find an SRT clutch and use that.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/15378271/images/1308996013494.jpg
WHY U NO PICSTURES ALREADY?!?!?!

This is literally the first ive heard of this in the 10 years ive been on k-car forums.

Ive taken apart a 5spd van of your generation and never found a clutch like that. My 90 certainly didnt have one.

I would vote run it and find out. Clutches arent hard, especially in vans.

Well 90's aren't 2nd gens, :p

First I've heard of it too, but not many on here actually have or taken apart 95 5 speed Minivans.

RoadWarrior222
12-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Come to think of it, weren't all Neons modular? Might have gone to same clutch on '95 vans for the commonality.

forcedfedmopar
12-01-2011, 11:53 PM
ll get pics tomorrow on lunch. I feel like Lewis and clark now!

Thanks Strax22. I will do that!

Vigo
12-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Well 90's aren't 2nd gens
I know, which i why i used separate sentences to refer to the different-generation vans ive taken apart. heheh

turbovanmanČ
12-02-2011, 01:49 AM
I know, which i why i used separate sentences to refer to the different-generation vans ive taken apart. heheh

I know, but you said your 90 didn't have one, :eyebrows:

86Shelby
12-02-2011, 01:54 AM
Maybe Mopar simply tried out the modular clutches starting on the '93 vans so they had 2 years of customer abuse on a small scale before releasing them in mass quantities in '95 in the Neons?

Vigo
12-02-2011, 04:09 PM
I had the same thought. I think the last year they made 5spds was 94. I took apart either a 93 or a 94 in the junkyard and it had a 'normal' clutch.

Im guessing even if it was one-year only, it wasnt on ALL of the vans of that year. Otherwise SOMEONE would have been bound to notice by now.

forcedfedmopar
12-02-2011, 11:55 PM
or maybe....i have a prototype! probably not. here is pics i says i would puts up.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1945-1.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1946.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1943-1.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1942.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1940.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1939.jpg

i didnt get a pic of it installed but hopefully i will this weekend when i bolt the trans and engine back together!

135sohc
12-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Kinda cool. just for curiosity I looked on RA and it showed a modular clutch for 93-95. 92 & older was the standard type clutch.

Is that just a standard automatic transmission style flex plate ?

turbovanmanČ
12-03-2011, 02:31 AM
How big is the clutch?

forcedfedmopar
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
i think the flex plate is a bit different. i didnt measure the clutch. i will today. it looks to be about the same size as a regular one.

moparman76_69
12-03-2011, 11:38 AM
To me it looks like an auto flexplate. I don't see chrysler making a one off for it. The clutch flywheel side looks like a torque converter housing.

forcedfedmopar
12-03-2011, 11:44 AM
To me it looks like an auto flexplate. I don't see chrysler making a one off for it. The clutch flywheel side looks like a torque converter housing.

why not? they made an entirely differnt clutch set up?

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

i think i still have an auto flex plate so i will try to compare the two. ill also check for part numbers on them. its been awhile since i had an auto apart but to me it looked like it was a bid beefier than the auto plate.

moparman76_69
12-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes but a few years later all 5 speeds i.e. neons/cloud cars got a similar setup.

forcedfedmopar
12-03-2011, 11:17 PM
its a 9" clutch. tonight i sand blasted and painted all the mounts, brackets, holders, ect. cleaned and painted the transmission. Ordered a throw out bearing but it wont be here for 2 days. so i guess ill have to wait to get the engine and trans bolted together.

turbovanmanČ
12-04-2011, 12:30 AM
So your reusing it? Is that bigger than a regular clutch?

Vigo
12-04-2011, 12:38 AM
After seeing these pics i am starting to really like this setup!

I also think it is identical to an auto flexplate. It even looks like it has the offset converter hole.

The thing that makes me like it is it LOOKS like it uses the same style of pressure plate as the rest of the turbo stuff, just riveted instead of bolted. If you could grind off the rivets and put a strong pressure plate and different disc on it, it would be functionally identical to any other turbo-style clutch setup, but be a lot easier to r&r!

Thanks for the pics! I know you're already looking for a flexplate to compare but if you also have a 'regular' pressure plate could you eyeball it and see if my idea sounds correct?

forcedfedmopar
12-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Well ive been SUPER busy but i got a little done the other day, got the head apart and found 2 ex valve guides dropping some. Got the +1s from FWDperformance.com *thanks CINDY!*. I started a little work on the head, got 2 exhaust ports to about 80%. I have to use the engine stand so the block cam off and went on a pallet next to the old engine, and the new clean trans. all brakcets and mounts ect cleaned and painted. when i get dont with the head this thing should go together like butter!

pics
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1963-1.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1961-1.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1960.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1959-1.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_1958-1.jpg

also got the clutch on, put the oil pan on and painted the block (obviously)
thats it for tonight. hopefully more pics coming soon!

Vigo
12-07-2011, 03:13 AM
Let us know if you find either a stock flexplate or pressure plate to compare to your modular clutch.

turbovanmanČ
12-10-2011, 08:43 PM
So your not buying a new clutch? Are you sure the old one is ok?

forcedfedmopar
12-10-2011, 09:06 PM
how do you mean "is the old one ok"? Do you mean was it slipping when i pulled the van apart? No it was not. It would have to be pretty bad to slip with 93hp! I did kinda look at a stock flex plate. looks like it could be the same one! I have a stock clutch at home but forgot to measure it. looks close the the same size.

forcedfedmopar
12-18-2011, 01:24 AM
well i got some more work done, the head is off to the machine shop for guides, valves, plaining, cleaning ect. Meanwhile i got the engine and trans bolted together. Did the #4 coolant mod and filled the mounts.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2015.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2015.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2011.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2002.jpg

thats all for now, hopefully next time you see it, it will have a head!

turbovanmanČ
12-18-2011, 02:27 AM
how do you mean "is the old one ok"? Do you mean was it slipping when i pulled the van apart? No it was not. It would have to be pretty bad to slip with 93hp! I did kinda look at a stock flex plate. looks like it could be the same one! I have a stock clutch at home but forgot to measure it. looks close the the same size.

What do I mean, sheesh, is the old one FINE to reuse, as in, is it OK, lol.

forcedfedmopar
12-23-2011, 11:37 PM
ok, got the head back from the machine shop today! assembled it and slapped it on the block!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2135.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2141.jpg
im trying a 94tbi cam. I have no clue how it will act. should be interesting.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2143.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2139.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2155.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2154.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2152.jpg

turbovanmanČ
12-24-2011, 03:22 AM
I love new, then it gets dirty, :(

RoadWarrior222
12-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Heh, but I thought dirty never got old with you either. :eyebrows:

Rampage16V
12-24-2011, 04:32 PM
This is a great build!

rich tideswell
12-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Heh, but I thought dirty never got old with you either. :eyebrows:

just got old'n'dirty instead ......

forcedfedmopar
12-28-2011, 11:26 PM
more clean pictures! Should be going in tomorrow evening! Then ill tow it home and work on the wiring mess.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2278.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2276.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2275.jpg

All thanks to my little helper
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2270-1.jpg

135sohc
12-29-2011, 02:41 AM
Bonus point for having the timing window foam plug.

turbovanmanČ
12-30-2011, 12:30 AM
.63 housing?

forcedfedmopar
12-30-2011, 11:01 AM
no =(. .48 but still a super 60 compressor and housing. =) This turbo took my omni into the 11s

RoadWarrior222
12-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Sweet, should get a van into the low 16s then :D :p

forcedfedmopar
12-31-2011, 12:08 AM
I think i can take this into the HIGH 13s low 14s with the set up thats in there..........

Vigo
01-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Gus mahon and Terry ryan both ran mitsu/auto vans into the high 13s... shoot higher. If you can get an s60 omni into the 11s you could probably get an s60 van into the low 13s if not high 12s. There is a member here who ran 13.4 on a 5spd van @18psi with a stock garrett on a nearly-stock motor.

Not that that's what's important. It'll be fun to drive way sooner than that.

Anyways, i wouldnt bother running anything bigger than the stock .48 housing if you're keeping a stock 1pc on it. :p

Keep up the good work :)

forcedfedmopar
01-01-2012, 06:10 PM
I DO NOT plan on keeping the stock 1pc on it. But its all i had lying around when the engine went together. If i gather up a few more 1pc cores i will make a batch of my modded ones.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Also, Drug the van to the home shop today. got most of the wiring diagrams i will need to start with. Also picked up a 91-93 daytona insturment cluster (with boost gauge!) that i thought about trying to use. Im trying to get excited about heading out the the garage to start pulling wires. ugh.

forcedfedmopar
01-01-2012, 10:30 PM
ok got the energy to get started. added a few wires for the distributor pick up, modded the computer housing, started pulling wire wrap off and tracing wires.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2289.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2298.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2302.jpg
and im sure everyone has a 66charger/89csx work bench
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2295.jpg

supercrackerbox
01-01-2012, 11:11 PM
I DO NOT plan on keeping the stock 1pc on it. But its all i had lying around when the engine went together. If i gather up a few more 1pc cores i will make a batch of my modded ones.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Also, Drug the van to the home shop today. got most of the wiring diagrams i will need to start with. Also picked up a 91-93 daytona insturment cluster (with boost gauge!) that i thought about trying to use. Im trying to get excited about heading out the the garage to start pulling wires. ugh.

I've got two intakes in my shop for ya.

forcedfedmopar
01-01-2012, 11:14 PM
ill take em if you dont have a use for them! After being inside one of them i have a hard time even using one, but its all i had. Ill make a second batch after the omni is back together and the van is finished.

Reeves
01-02-2012, 12:44 PM
ill take em if you dont have a use for them! After being inside one of them i have a hard time even using one, but its all i had. Ill make a second batch after the omni is back together and the van is finished.

I have a bunch of 1 piece intakes I don't really need. What are you doing to them?

forcedfedmopar
01-02-2012, 02:41 PM
I cut the back and elbow off them, open the plenum up, shorted the runners about 4inches, weld on a 3.3 elbow and flow that into the plenum area, add individual ports, and obviously port them.

looks like this when done
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Omni/102_0021.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Omni/102_0017.jpg

forcedfedmopar
01-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Got my injector subharness and front of the engine subharness made today. Im really happy with the injector harness! i had to make it from scratch, so i used new injector pigtails from a 00ish 3.3l engine, used one big grey plug that has everything running through it rather than the multiple connectors that the factory used. Ill get pics up later.

Reeves
01-03-2012, 10:11 AM
I cut the back and elbow off them, open the plenum up, shorted the runners about 4inches, weld on a 3.3 elbow and flow that into the plenum area, add individual ports, and obviously port them.

looks like this when done
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Omni/102_0021.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Omni/102_0017.jpg

Cool. Looks very similar to mine.

turbovanmanČ
01-03-2012, 02:20 PM
no =(. .48 but still a super 60 compressor and housing. =) This turbo took my omni into the 11s

Ahh, nice, just looked like a .63 from the pics.

Got my injector subharness and front of the engine subharness made today. Im really happy with the injector harness! i had to make it from scratch, so i used new injector pigtails from a 00ish 3.3l engine, used one big grey plug that has everything running through it rather than the multiple connectors that the factory used. Ill get pics up later.

Great job, I hate wiring, gives me a headache, lol.

forcedfedmopar
01-04-2012, 12:43 AM
Ahh, nice, just looked like a .63 from the pics.

Great job, I hate wiring, gives me a headache, lol.

i dont enjoy wiring. i much rather be building an intake, header, porting a head, ect. But i have to do it cause i am apparently not smart enough to just buy an older turbo van and be happy with that. I have to be "different". /end rant

ANYWHO, ive made quite a bit of progress since having it home. ill let the picture do the talking.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2291.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2297.jpg
had to trim the computer to clear the strut tower
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2299.jpg
injector harness
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2304.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2307.jpg
AND where i left it tonight. At the rate im moving i should be able to start the van this weekend.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2313.jpg

-jeff

black86glhs
01-04-2012, 02:49 AM
That is how my omni looked for a while...lol.

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Damn, that's almost enough for me never to consider a 2nd Gen van, :banghead:

RoadWarrior222
01-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Great job, I hate wiring, gives me a headache, lol.I used to get that, but then I stopped stripping wires with my teeth and turned the power off first. :D

Ima consider a second gen though, soon as MS is not so bleeding edge, and the shadetree A604 beefing has got a bit field tested, I'd look for an AWD to plonk a 3.0 in and TT it.

Vigo
01-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Glad to hear. Your modded ones look good. So one like that is on the Omni?

Also picked up a 91-93 daytona insturment cluster (with boost gauge!) that i thought about trying to use

Strax22 did that on his. It is pretty cool to see a van with a 140+mph speedo and a factory boost gauge (that pegs). I recommend you do it.. :D

forcedfedmopar
01-06-2012, 08:39 PM
I used to get that, but then I stopped stripping wires with my teeth and turned the power off first. :D

Ima consider a second gen though, soon as MS is not so bleeding edge, and the shadetree A604 beefing has got a bit field tested, I'd look for an AWD to plonk a 3.0 in and TT it.
I have a second gen, long wheel base, AWD, clean interior, little rust, a few dents, that i would let go for the right price......white with wood accents!

Glad to hear. Your modded ones look good. So one like that is on the Omni?

Strax22 did that on his. It is pretty cool to see a van with a 140+mph speedo and a factory boost gauge (that pegs). I recommend you do it.. :D

Thanks, Ill build another one like i did for the omni. Im comfortable with it cause i know its a dyno proven design.

Vigo
01-07-2012, 11:18 PM
I have a second gen, long wheel base, AWD, clean interior, little rust, a few dents, that i would let go for the right price......white with wood accents!

Duuuuuuuuuuuude. Sweet. hehe

Sundance 6g72
01-07-2012, 11:56 PM
ahh wiring

i rewired the whole engine bay of my car for megsquirt.. i just hacked all the wires at the firewall...

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/294691_10150404793698899_534573898_9919737_1149963 902_n.jpg

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/387793_10150568415368899_534573898_10652682_144808 5451_n.jpg

most of the wires were un needed and ended up in this box

van is looked good! been following it on facebook

forcedfedmopar
01-12-2012, 11:57 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2379-1.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2375.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2374.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2372.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2370.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2383.jpg
gonna hit it hard saturday!

turbovanmanČ
01-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Damn dude, nice work, :hail:

Wanna redo mine? :eyebrows:

forcedfedmopar
01-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Damn dude, nice work, :hail:

Wanna redo mine? :eyebrows:

thanks! It hasnt been the most fun but i am happy with the way its turning out! Who knows, maybe once im done with this i will duplicate it and sell you a harness thats plug and play?

turbovanmanČ
01-13-2012, 08:10 PM
thanks! It hasnt been the most fun but i am happy with the way its turning out! Who knows, maybe once im done with this i will duplicate it and sell you a harness thats plug and play?

LOL, I don't need one, it was a joke, like can you clean up my wiring harness, :eyebrows:

forcedfedmopar
01-13-2012, 08:23 PM
i know it was a joke! Like hell im going to do this again!

RoadWarrior222
01-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Damn, I was gonna order one, done all in black wire, for 1337ness.

88C/S
01-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Would be interested in one of those when you feel like making more. Have one that can be used and could get more.

forcedfedmopar
01-15-2012, 02:34 AM
OK! so i finally got the harness to a stopping point tonight! Hooked up battery power and everything works! no weird smoke or poping fuses! I primmed the fuel system to check for leaks and operation. Found #4 injector body leaking, so i will replace that tomorrow. At that time i will check the spark and injector pulse. If all goes well i will prime the oil system again, put the relays in and try to start it! THEN finish the rest of the engine. I am going to just put a T2 rad/in assembly in for now. i got all my Vbands and flex pipe to tig up an exhaust system. Then ill worry about getting all the gauges operational in my 92 daytona 140mph cluster!

forcedfedmopar
01-15-2012, 06:19 PM
we have spark and injector pulse!

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Woo hoo.

forcedfedmopar
01-15-2012, 10:31 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2390.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2391.jpg
SO i sit in the driver seat, turn the key and the van would start if i had a fuel pump! Injector pulse and spark are present! This week i will work on wiring in the insturment cluster. Then this coming weekend ill take it back to my shop and build an exhaust, mount the rad, condenser, and i/c. Then build all the piping. Speaking of which, i did set an extra starion i/c i had on the shelf in it. I think it fits great so i will go ahead and use it
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2394.jpg

-jeff

Vigo
01-17-2012, 08:07 PM
That starion IC makes a great condenser!

Just kidding, i know it's doable with AC. We put a 4" thick core there in Strax's van and it still has ac.

forcedfedmopar
01-17-2012, 11:03 PM
This i/c is going on because a. i have it and b. i dont think ill need much more. this is far from a race car, i just want it to be reliable.

forcedfedmopar
01-18-2012, 04:37 PM
When i was test fitting the starion i/c i noticed that there was plenty of room to fit a much larger i/c. How much did you have to remove from the bumper in order to fit a 4 inch core between the condenser and the bumper? Width wise there would be plenty! Also, what size piping did you use?

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2012, 10:17 PM
4" might block too much air flow to the rad and condenser!

Vigo
01-20-2012, 08:12 PM
On Strax's van we had to cut less than an inch into the bumper support, but we did move the upper and lower mounts for the rad/condenser back about an inch as well. The stock bumper cover still fits over the top of the bumper support completely. As for piping It is 2.5 in and out, basically.We only cut on the bumper support to make a tiny bit more room so we could add some foam between the ic and condenser so they wouldnt rub.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC02946Large.jpg

4" might block too much air flow to the rad and condenser!

It doesnt get hot but the AC was DEFINITELY affected. We think some good ducting might fix it but havent gotten around to it.

forcedfedmopar
01-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Looks like ill be mocking up mine tomorrow! Pulled the van down to the shop tonight. Gonna hit it hard tomorrow! Going to build an exhaust, install walbro255, mount rad, condenser, i/c, and hopefully start it up, warm it up, and drain and fill all the fluids before the mayden voyage.

forcedfedmopar
01-22-2012, 01:42 AM
well got quite a bit done today;
first up, exhaust;
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2421.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2425.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2426.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2427.jpg
sleeper?......
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2428-1.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2431.jpg

got the fuel pump installed,
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2435.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2436.jpg

then started mocking up the rad, i/c, and ill have to go get a condenser. First i had to modifiy the i/c a bit to get it facing the right way.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2437.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2438.jpg
then it fit,
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2441.jpg

thats all til tomorrow.

supercrackerbox
01-22-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm curious as to why you put in a flex pipe and V-band while retaining the factory exhaust flange.

forcedfedmopar
01-22-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm curious as to why you put in a flex pipe and V-band while retaining the factory exhaust flange.
good catch. I dont plan on using the factory swing valve in the future. I like to try a divorced down pipe. This way the bottom portions already built and all i have to do is mate it to the housing when im ready.

forcedfedmopar
01-30-2012, 01:08 AM
alright, ive been sick but managed to get some work done on the van today.

perviously this week i mounted the radiator (from AA) and condenser, mounted the i/c, got the hoses on the radiator, ran a couple vacuum lines, some other odds and ends. then today i:
made the i/c piping
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2445.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2449.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2451.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2452.jpg

finished the FMIC install and put the grille back on. Im happy that you cant see anything since i painted it all black.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2456.jpg
with the flash on, you can barely make out the ic piping. but no one will ever notice that.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2457.jpg

She starts and runs well. Tomorrow i hope to run the heater core hoses and fill up the coolant. I still need to wire in the fan relay and fans before warming up the engine for the first time. After that its all finish work, mainly wiring the insturment cluster.

turbovanmanČ
01-30-2012, 02:06 PM
No muffler, damn, lol.

Looking good, :nod:

forcedfedmopar
01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
No muffler, damn, lol.

Looking good, :nod:

I just bought a bullet style im going to add near the tip. Probably going to add a chambered muffler in the straight section in the middle too.

RoadWarrior222
01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Shouldn't be too bad inside, when it's stuck right out the back and turned down... its the reflections that getchya.

turbovanmanČ
01-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Shouldn't be too bad inside, when it's stuck right out the back and turned down... its the reflections that getchya.

I bet its down right obnoxious, but it could be a bit nicer due to the 5 speed, keeping the rpm down on the highway.

forcedfedmopar
01-30-2012, 03:38 PM
i think its louder than my omni with 3in side exit! lol. like i said, i have to get mufflers on it. didnt have any when i made the exhaust. I honestly didnt think it would be that loud. i was wrong.

turbovanmanČ
01-30-2012, 04:43 PM
i think its louder than my omni with 3in side exit! lol. like i said, i have to get mufflers on it. didnt have any when i made the exhaust. I honestly didnt think it would be that loud. i was wrong.

LOL, missed the muffler part. Years ago, tried the straight pipe, I drove out the shop and right back in, it was that bad.

Now I have 2 mufflers and a cat to shut it up, lol. If I did it again, I'd go 2.5" and a cutout.

forcedfedmopar
01-30-2012, 09:32 PM
I started up and ran the motor to operating temp today!

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2012, 02:15 PM
I started up and ran the motor to operating temp today!

Don't idle it too long, you'll mes up the ring seal, :eyebrows:

Rampage16V
01-31-2012, 07:06 PM
I just bought a bullet style im going to add near the tip. Probably going to add a chambered muffler in the straight section in the middle too. I found when I ran it all the way to the back like you have it wasn't that bad at all

forcedfedmopar
01-31-2012, 10:09 PM
inside the van is fairly quite. outside is freakn loud! Took her for a ride tonight to seat the rings. boost/decel repeat up and down the street several times. seems to get up and go fairly well. i never went WOT but towing into it to build boost seemed like it picked up pretty quick. Tomorrow i will change the oil and drive it home and finish the wiring!

86Shelby
02-01-2012, 01:51 AM
Burnouts?

forcedfedmopar
02-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Burnouts?

there was a small one. i thought of you and did one while pulling into the shop

86Shelby
02-01-2012, 01:28 PM
YAY!:thumb::cheer2:

forcedfedmopar
02-01-2012, 10:01 PM
video of running!
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/th_100_2460.jpg (http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/?action=view&current=100_2460.mp4)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2458.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2459.jpg

-jeff

Reeves
02-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Very cool!

Wow, it IS loud!

Seems to be idling kinda fast though? Maybe that's why it seems so loud?

Also, is your timing belt off a tooth on the auxilliary shaft? Seems the distributor is turned awful far.

supercrackerbox
02-02-2012, 04:59 AM
Most likely the oil pump is a tooth off on the shaft, requiring the distributor to be clocked a lot farther when the timing marks are all correctly lined up. I've had that problem a few times.

Rampage16V
02-02-2012, 10:05 AM
That's ok let's em know your in front lol

forcedfedmopar
02-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Most likely the oil pump is a tooth off on the shaft, requiring the distributor to be clocked a lot farther when the timing marks are all correctly lined up. I've had that problem a few times.

you are correct sir, timing is dead on. just goofed when i put the oil pump in.

Hopefully get the wiring finished up this weekend!

86Shelby
02-02-2012, 02:20 PM
It's supposed to snow, so you should be ale to hole yourself up in the garage...maybe...after shoveling and watching Sam & jake int he back yard....and shoveling again...then build another igloo...you'll be busy. :)

supercrackerbox
02-02-2012, 02:26 PM
That actually sounds like a really good time.

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Good times, :nod:

forcedfedmopar
02-04-2012, 08:32 PM
It's supposed to snow, so you should be ale to hole yourself up in the garage...maybe...after shoveling and watching Sam & jake int he back yard....and shoveling again...then build another igloo...you'll be busy. :)

well. i took care of the shoveling and igloo today. hopefully work tomorrow

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/100_2468.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/100_2469.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/100_2475.jpg

moparman76_69
02-04-2012, 09:31 PM
So what is that supposed to be beside the igloo?

forcedfedmopar
02-04-2012, 09:39 PM
So what is that supposed to be beside the igloo?

idk, a little guard guy? My kid loves the movie "how to train your dragon" and in the begining of the movie the vikings have similar guys protecting their village.

turbovanmanČ
02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
That igloo is awesome, :nod:

wheming
02-06-2012, 04:56 PM
The a/c compressor was from that original body/engine?
Is that a/c bracket the same as the older 1st gen ones?

my android sent this for me using Tapatalk...

forcedfedmopar
02-07-2012, 12:05 AM
The a/c compressor was from that original body/engine?
Is that a/c bracket the same as the older 1st gen ones?

The compressor and bracket are originally from the 94 van

wheming
02-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Looks more compact than the 1st gen. That one was originally charged with 134a?
Was wondering since i have to reinstall a/c if that would be a better choice. Should certainly be lighter with the size and aluminum line set.

forcedfedmopar
02-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Looks more compact than the 1st gen. That one was originally charged with 134a?
Was wondering since i have to reinstall a/c if that would be a better choice. Should certainly be lighter with the size and aluminum line set.

im actually changing mine to the old set up. the compressor is different and requires dampening control which was contolled by the sbec before. Also, the lines are different that go to the condencer. Maybe a turbo mini condencer is whats needed to use this compressor and lines? not sure. either way im going to go to an older set up to make things simple.

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2012, 04:04 PM
The lines will be different on a 2nd gen due to the location of the condenser. The bracket should be the same.

wheming
02-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Yeah that wouldn't be a problem for me since i'm going to have to get a custom condenser and some lines extended anyway.

Might have to make a trip back to the yard and check one out.

moparman76_69
02-07-2012, 06:14 PM
idk, a little guard guy? My kid loves the movie "how to train your dragon" and in the begining of the movie the vikings have similar guys protecting their village.

For a split second I thought it might be Yoda.

forcedfedmopar
02-07-2012, 06:42 PM

after looking at it more, it looks like the little ceasers guy!

Vigo
02-07-2012, 09:46 PM

I thought yoda from a rear 3/4 view. Except with a face coming out of the back.. lol

forcedfedmopar
02-12-2012, 10:36 PM
ok ive been sick and so has the kid. I did get out to the garage this weekend and got some work done, First i rewired (dont ask) my fuel pump relay correctly! then wiried in the baro sensor and the boost solenoid. I also forgot to run a B+ to the computer for the charging system reference so i got that done. Now with it charging and the relays working correctly it runs even better! lol.
While setting timing i found that #4 wire had a cut in it.....ouch. so i put a set of wires on from my GLH. (ill get a new set for the GLH)

I also got started on the wiring for the insturment cluster. I got all the lighting working (turns, check engine, air bag, headlamp, ect) and started wiring in the gauges when i had to stop for the evening.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2476.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2484.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2478.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2486.jpg

-jeff

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Cough "Aurora wires" cough!!! :eyebrows:

supercrackerbox
02-14-2012, 04:15 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2484.jpg

If you need any split loom to re-cover the wiring, I've got a drawer full of it. There's a couple guys that sell it dirt cheap at the Lincoln swap meet every March.

But why the gun?

forcedfedmopar
02-14-2012, 10:18 AM
If you need any split loom to re-cover the wiring, I've got a drawer full of it. There's a couple guys that sell it dirt cheap at the Lincoln swap meet every March.

But why the gun?

how big is the loom? A friend was over and we were talkn guns, i was showing him the xd.

RoadWarrior222
02-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Well now it saw it, I bet it won't give you any schitt. :D

Be careful of cheapy split loom, I used some in my Escort, it went "near" the manifold, but not very 6" or so off, and the damn thing has a theoretical heat shield over it, but it still melted off :(

Reeves
02-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Didn't even see the pistol in the picture till it was pointed out. LOL.

Yes, I've also had cheaper loom melt in places you wouldn't think it would. I got some better stuff that wasn't much more expensive....it was made of a different material...can't remember it now...dang...useless post....sorry.

supercrackerbox
02-14-2012, 12:22 PM
I've got a bunch of different sizes, I'll have to measure.

forcedfedmopar
02-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Cough "Aurora wires" cough!!! :eyebrows:

missed this comment, im suppose to get a set from you anyway! lol

turbovanmanČ
02-14-2012, 02:29 PM
missed this comment, im suppose to get a set from you anyway! Lol

lol...

Vigo
02-14-2012, 11:28 PM
I dont understand why anyone has to ask about beer, guns, and turbo minivans. I thought everyone knew those things just go together.

moparman76_69
02-14-2012, 11:36 PM
I dont understand why anyone has to ask about beer, guns, and turbo minivans. I thought everyone knew those things just go together.

lul, sigged.

supercrackerbox
02-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Honestly, I just wanted to know how many other people even noticed it.

wheming
02-15-2012, 05:46 PM
I saw the beer but not the gun. Of course i was viewing this on a phone though and the picture was kind of tiny.

turbovanmanČ
02-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Honestly, I just wanted to know how many other people even noticed it.

My screen is kinda dark so until it was mentioned, never saw it.

forcedfedmopar
02-18-2012, 04:31 PM
aurora wires on the way! thanks simon!

Got the cluster working today! Its soo nice to have a tach. Now, to use up all of this 140mph speedo....

pics coming soon

turbovanmanČ
02-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Should see them middle to end of next week, Canada Post airmail is pretty fast, :nod:

forcedfedmopar
02-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Got the cluster in, fits GREAT after some trimming. EVERYTHING WORKS! also got the boost and airfuel gauges in place. still have to finish them up. I have them where the info center used to be. The will be hidden behind a piece of tinted plexiglass. They are both on switched power so i can turn them off while the dash gauges (illumination) remain on. Appearing totally stock from the untrained eye!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2504.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/100_2506.jpg

turbovanmanČ
02-19-2012, 03:14 AM
Very cool, :thumb:

Vigo
02-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Lookin good!

forcedfedmopar
02-23-2012, 11:19 AM
well, went for a longer test drive last night after finishing the speedo wiring and replacing the leaking oil sending unit. After getting warm and making sure the fan worked i ventured out. runs very well and reminds me alot of my GLH but smoother/less violent. I need to try to get boost under contol a bit better. in 3rd it will hit cut out when the clutch slips or the tires spin. unsure which is the case yet. the tires are old and dry rotted so i cant tell if they are spinning or the clutch is slipping. Ill continue driving around when the streets dry and confirm one way or another by the weekend. If its the clutch i will put my small spline 568 in with the old clutch (4puck) out of the glh.

-jeff

I made a gopro video of my trip home, ill try to figure out how to use it.

Vigo
02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
So thats with the used modular clutch right?

Ive had times where i couldnt tell what was slipping in 3rd. Its pretty hard to tell with vehicles that go straight and tires that dont make noise. You will probably be able to tell by comparing your tach and speedo though if both are functional.

forcedfedmopar
02-23-2012, 08:06 PM
both are functional. It would appear after driving some more today that it is indeed the clutch. The tach will shoot up then fall to where the wheel speed is and gain from that point. Looks like the modular units are NOT good for any decent power. At least one that has 170K on it.

turbovanmanČ
02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Looks like the modular units are NOT good for any decent power. At least one that has 170K on it.

Durrr, lol.

forcedfedmopar
02-23-2012, 11:20 PM
well, first test of the go pro went on the first test drive of the van

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-50_Aeky4DI&feature=youtu.be

wheming
02-24-2012, 01:02 AM
I'm sure there are several clutch discussion threads, but so far i am having good luck with my TU stage whatever purple 4 puck ceramic clutch combo.
And it has nicer street manners than the (2) McLeod RevLocs that I've killed.

forcedfedmopar
02-24-2012, 01:07 AM
i dont have 600 to drop on a clutch right now. i do have the purple plate and 6puck in my glh and love it so far. i have about 2k hard miles on it. (drag week) I pulled my 4puck FWD unit out when it was slipping approaching the 400wtq mark. But im sure the van has much less than that so i think it will live awhile longer in there.