PDA

View Full Version : Tranny problems with my Neon

BlueBaron
07-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Since the Neon forums I've seen seem to be full of "I bought a new body kit yo!" and "I'm paying the dealer $1000 to fix my car", I'll post this here.

2002 Neon with 2.0L auto.

Back in the winter, the streets were full of water and my tranny suddenly decided to run in 2nd gear only. The next time I started it, it seemed to be fine.

Well today I went to get groceries and it's doing it again. This time, there is the added bonus that the speedo is either not reading above 10 Km/h or a couple times it did read right, but was sluggish like the needle was sticking. (which it isn't) Rain and water are not a factor this time.

I disconnected the battery for 30 min, nothing happened.
Codes show disconnected battery only.

Any ideas? Or do I have to see the dealer for this one? (no warranty left)

3Bar_Mopar
07-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Sounds like the TCM (transmission control module) is fried, now your car is stuck in a "limp mode".

turbovanmanČ
07-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Please don't post tech questions in the lounge, moved to the correct location.

For a cheap fix, replace the speed sensor(s), if they fail, it will go into limp mode and your speedo won't work.

TurboJerry
07-05-2006, 03:57 AM
The SDS can have an intermediate problem that will *not* set a code. (takes about 2 min of the problem) The 3 wire ones are usually stone axe reliable though.......

BlueBaron
07-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Being short on time, I took it to the dealer. They diagnosed that all is fine outside the tranny controller, so I need a new one.

I asked if I could buy a computer and put it in myself, he said it might need to be programmed. Is this "programming" installing it and driving around to train it on how I drive? Or do I really have to let them install it??

turbovanmanČ
07-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Yes, it will have to be programmed. Let them do it, that way, if they misdiagnosed it, they can take it out and put your stocker back in. I don't see many failed computers. If you do it, they can say, well, you shorted it out, etc.

TurboJerry
07-06-2006, 01:21 AM
Yes, It will have to be "flashed". There is no program at all in it to start with. You're talking about the accumulator adaptives. That is set with "road time". I am still suspicous of the SDS though. Like Simon says, If the Dealer tech misdiagnosed it, they will have to take responsibility for it.

BlueBaron
07-06-2006, 03:35 AM
Right, I'll let them do the work.

So what makes a tranny controller spontaneously crap out?

Heck, what made the last PCM crap out?

And they keep telling me 15.5Volts is normal.

BlueBaron
07-06-2006, 02:11 PM
I'd like to thank the Province of Ontario for using road salt in the Winter.

The tranny computer crapped out due to corrosion.

Thanks also to Chrysler for putting a computer right infront of the driving wheel to ensure it gets hit by water and salt.

TurboJerry
07-06-2006, 02:24 PM
15.5 volts is too high. It should be 13.4 to 13.8. There's a bad connection(s) somewhere. I suggest dilectric grease on the plug if it's really bad. Or is the PCM getting filled up with the crap?

BlueBaron
07-07-2006, 02:58 AM
I once hooked a Fluke meter to the battery posts and drove around my neighbourhood. It went between 14.5 and 15.5 volts as I played with lights, rear defrost, A/C etc.

I burned through 7 exterior bulbs during the first two weeks after they put in the second computer. They told me it was coincidence, and that those voltages are normal for a Neon. I got the same reply from members of NeonCanada.com.

Haven't lost any more bulbs since, btw.

Una
07-09-2006, 02:40 AM
Run cheap batteries, you'll cook the battery in short order at that kind of voltage.. I get worried at anything past 14.5..