PDA

View Full Version : Blower fan only working on high

DevoBuzz
02-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Hi guys,
Picked up a 1998 Buick for my daughter as a first car. The fan blower only works on high. So far replaced:

Blower resistor pack
Blower motor
Fan control switch

All the fuses are good. Any ideas??? I'm lost.....

Thanks,
Ralph

black86glhs
02-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Do you have any power to the inlet side of the blower resistor pack? just make sure the terminals make good contact and are clean.
What model Buick? I may have a service manual at the house.

speedfreek500
02-23-2011, 10:47 PM
LOL ya the good old GM blower motor resister!I've changed alot of those dam things and they are very common.Did you buy a GM one?I bet you resister is still bad,you can check it with a dvom across the resister with an ohms value reading.The resister does not come into effect when on high.

DevoBuzz
02-24-2011, 08:12 AM
The resistor pack was the first thing I replaced. In the past when these have gone bad on my Caravan, I would notice burn marks on the pack. The old one I replaced did not have any burn marks. I guess the new one could be bad too? I'll check for power at the resistor pack. Thanks.

1998 Buick Century

DevoBuzz
03-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Update: Well I broke out the volt meter and found that the correct power was feeding the resistor pack connector. Even though the resistor pack was new I went out and bought another one. Problem solved. The new resistor pack was bad.

Thanks guys!