PDA

View Full Version : lockup vs non lockup input shafts

ottawa rogue
07-04-2006, 02:15 PM
I get to replace the rear clutch housing, YAY!!!
i've got a good housing from a neon tranny, but it's for a lockup convertor.
can i take the input shaft out of my blown up clutch drum and put it in the neon drum?
otherwise, i'll have to find another drum:mad:

ottawa rogue
07-05-2006, 07:37 PM
ok, scratch this question, i went ahead and swapped them today.
the dimensions were the same for both of them, so no problems:thumb:

Frank
07-05-2006, 08:30 PM
they maybe the same dimension, but the oil hole in the shaft maybe different... they must be the same. when people switch to a non lock up, they have to switch to a non lock up input shaft.

ottawa rogue
07-05-2006, 09:29 PM
that's pretty much what i was facing here, the donor trans. is a lockup style,
and the input shaft had a second set of holes in it.
i guess what i was asking was if there were going to be any problems in swapping the non-lockup shaft into the clutch drum that had the lockup shaft in it originally. sorry if i wasn't very clear on that-i've been known to suffer from cranial-rectal inversion every now and then:D

the lockup shaft didn't look to be as strong as the non lockup shaft, it looked like it had extra material machined out of the shaft, where the non lockup had a larger diameter to the shaft itself

Speedeuphoria
07-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Yeah its a smaller diameter I believe, but "Steve Lockett has had a great deal of success with his modified input shafts. He runs a lockup converter and lockup shaft which has been highly polished to remove all stress risers. He is pushing 605HP on a 2.4 motor and so far, the shaft has been holding for a year and a half." This is from the trans info pages. I just switched the input and used the lockup drum they are the same, the lockup shaft has 3 seal rings and the other has 2 and the hole through the center of the lockup one is larger

ottawa rogue
07-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Cool. that's pretty much what i did, turns out it was a non issue.

i won't be running anywhere near that horsepower, so i think my factory stock shaft will be ok:D