PDA

View Full Version : 90 daytona shelby street/ strip project.

morrispower
02-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Bought this sexy machine in March 2010. Thanks to Reeves Racecar Finder instinct, I found it in cincinnati owned by a mopar fan. This was the second daytona he owned and third turbo mopar. He said cash was short plus couldn't find the time to get it running and fixed it up the way he would like. It is a solid car with no rust. It was in a wreck on the passenger side, door had been replaced. Power everything, seats, locks, windows, and mirrors. This car has the new style interior (black clothe), also has sunroof. Has 2.5L T1 with auto trans. Owner told me water pump and fuel pump were bad, plus tranny is fried. After fighting with the traffic and stupid drivers of the ghetto, I finally got truck and trailer backed up to car and got it loaded. The owner told me that he had louvers for the hatch, front and rear bumpers with headlights and taillights, and side skirts off a 92 daytona plus box with odds and end parts if I wanted them. So $750 I left with everything plus the car.

I got started on it the next day thanks to Reeves Chrysler Auto Parts Outlet I got both fuel and water pump. Plus complimentary pabst blue ribbon. Lol. Topped off all fluids and started up. Ran great, purred like a tiger. That night me and my buddy Adam went for a test run. It ran great for the first quarter mile, but then my foot felt heavy and it hit the floor. I noticed the trans slipping a little in 1St and 2nd and really noticed when it wasn't pulling anymore. Got to 85mph and the engine started missing and boost was over 15lbs. I let out and limped it home. Raised the hood found oil everywhere, dipstick hanging out. Pulled the plugs and found 1 and 3 had no ceramic or ground electrode. Check compression, found #3 had nun. Removed head found #3 had burnt valve.

The next day my dad and I removed the block and tranny. Removed pistons and found no cracks but decided to have my dad's machine guy to bore the block .020 over. I bought wisco pistons and shoot peened and polished stock rods from Reeves out of his old omni engine, also traded head for a G head plus some boot. Sent head off to be ported, polished and revalved.

After watching the Chrysler training video on the turbo encabulater I decided to rebuild the tranny myself. Lol I removed the pan and found the nastiest looking sludge i've ever seen. It was black and smelt like grilled hamburger. Lol. I took the whole thing apart finding that the rear clutches had no material or teeth left on them at all. Also found the spider gears in the diff were junk. I sent the housing and some other cast aluminum parts to work with Adam to clean. I bought Alto Kevlar clutches and a diff that I welded washers to both ends of the pin. Reeves and I did all the upgrades.

One of the good things about working for a International truck dealer is I see a lot off parts taking off for no reason, I ran upon a good innercooler out of a straight truck. It's going to fit well and look great behind the front bumper. I took my stock intake to my fab guy, he'll be making it bigger and flow better. Now I need a good turbo to push the air, I don't think a little mitzu will get the job done. Lol. If you have any parts, suggestions or ideas I may be interested in please let me know. I'll be posting pics as soon as I can.

speedfreek500
02-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Sounds like a pretty fun car,and you got a hell of a deal too!

karlak
02-20-2011, 10:23 PM
:needpics1:

Reeves
12-02-2012, 02:08 PM

cordes
12-02-2012, 04:38 PM
The pics still aren't loading. What's the deal?

Reeves
12-17-2012, 05:14 PM