PDA

View Full Version : Speed Distance Sensor - Didn't go too well.

85_600
12-31-2005, 04:41 PM
It was my first time under the car ( just bought it in Nov. ) so I was looking things over, then decided I needed to get to work and look for the sensor.

At first I couldn't find it but then I took another look and actually found it :o

Now, the part I'm at a loss about is this. Here is the "New" sensor I picked up from Autozone:

http://www.xwarlordx.com/red97sc2/Pics/Speed%20Distance%20Sensor02.jpg

The one currently on the car is in this pic:

http://www.xwarlordx.com/red97sc2/Pics/Speed%20Distance%20Sensor01.jpg

Now, as you can see the two are different. The one in the 2nd pic is NOT the same as the 1st pic.

So, is the one from Autozone an "Upgrade" to the one currently on the car or do I need to find someone with a tranny to pull it off and sell it to me?

Any help is great :thumb:

Paul

cordes
12-31-2005, 05:14 PM
They both do the same thing. If the pug on the old harness will fit the new SDS, then you will be all set. If not, then it might require a little modification. Probably to the harness.

85_600
12-31-2005, 05:56 PM
I'd have done this but the thing that worried me was the shape / style of the new one vs. the old one. I wasn't sure if the new one would have fit in / on the tranny like the old one does. The "base" of the two aren't similar.

I'm not against trying it but when I have the time to fix these things I can't not let it sit not fixed until 3 weeks later ( working weekends :( ).

So, if this is really an upgrade then I'll go for it but I'd like to know that the new one would fit and work correctly.

Thanks for the input...anyone else ever replaced one with a style like I bought?

Murphy
12-31-2005, 06:22 PM
when I bought by SDS from TU it came with a pigtail for the conversion....I think I threw it out tho

inmyshadow
12-31-2005, 06:32 PM
What are you working on? I'm assuming you have speedo cable and a car older then 89.

The new sensor is designed to be universal between electrical and mechanical speedos. I had asked a local reputable turbododge mechanic about this sometime ago.

If you ordered from chrysler you should get the same thing as autozone gave you. I'd test fit the sensor by threading it onto the cable if you are unsure.

GLHNSLHT2
12-31-2005, 06:32 PM
hehe gonnna be fun getting the old one out. I had some buddy's that couldn't get the old style out. The new style is an upgrade and should come with a cap for the speedo cable and an adapeter harness. The one from the dealer does anyways. If you have an electric Speedo you can get a 3 wire SDS which requires an 8v feed (tap into the hall effect) and is much better and more reliable.

85_600
12-31-2005, 08:33 PM
So, general consenus is - this is an upgrade part. Whew? I hope. My next attempt to install will be either Monday the 2nd or Jan 21st ( I have to work around my weekend work schedule ).

@GLHNSLHT2 - Did your friend eventually get the old one out and if so, what did he have to do to get it out? I'd like to know what's in store for me :o

GLHNSLHT2
12-31-2005, 08:46 PM
I believe so but don't know what tricks they used as it was about 5 years ago or so.

cordes
12-31-2005, 10:12 PM
If it is really hard to get out, you should still be able to wedge some thing inbetween the sensor and the case. Aluminum is soft.;)

85_600
01-02-2006, 03:41 PM
**UPDATE** January 2nd...

My 2nd attempt to replace this flipping sensor didn't go too well either.

I found it and the wire / plug no problem. I actually got it unplugged from above, under the hood, BUT, trying to get to the 10mm bolt is a pita!! How have you guys done this? The main bulk of the sensor gets in the way AND there is a bolt that ( appears to help attach the extension housing to the tranny ) gets in the way as well! :(

I have enough room putting the car on ramps but getting either a wrench or socket on the sensor bolt is near impossible. I did get on it but ----eye'd, so I didn't want to round the head off.

I'm this {} close to taking it to a local shop but I'd like to try it hopefully one more time with some insight from people here.

Anyone?

Thanks!
Paul

P.S. If there is someone in the NE Ohio area that KNOWS how to replace this thing I'd more than willing to buy you a steak or 6 pack or something simliar just to help me out here...:thumb: ( Medina County or relatively close - say about 30 - 40 miles would be ok )

GLHSKEN
01-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Use a 10mm deep socket... It is a pita, but you can get to it... Done it many times...

85_600
01-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Use a 10mm deep socket... It is a pita, but you can get to it... Done it many times...

Heh, that's what I was using and I thought I would need a shorter one :o

From above or below - which is better? I'm thinking below since I had to crawl on top of the engine to plug the connector back together, and since from underneath it's right there, in my face.

I'm feeling like a doofus here now...so excuse any newbie'ish questions...:o

GLHSKEN
01-02-2006, 04:33 PM
No problem From below... Take the speedo cable off 1st...

Might also try a normal 10mm and Short extension... It is a pain, but you can get it done..

85_600
01-02-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm done for today on this. As I was looking over the plug I noticed that the distance between the new one and where the old was - it seemed a bit shorter on the new one. Is there any splicing needed or was this just a figment of my imagination?

Another thing - The part of the old sensor that the speed cable goes into - is it supposed to turn? When I was checking it out today I noticed that everything twisted around except for the base of course. I was wondering if this was / is normal. On the new sensor there is nothing to spin around except for the gear portion that fits inside the housing.

Thanks again Ken...I'll be attempting this again but when I don't know. Work starts up again tomorrow so my next "free" weekend won't be until the 21st...:yuck:

GLHNSLHT2
01-02-2006, 08:46 PM
ahh you've found the problem my bud's had, Can't get the damn 10mm bolt out. wish I could remember what they did. That old style sensor sucks. Did your Autozone sensor come with the pigtail conversion?

85_600
01-02-2006, 10:19 PM
ahh you've found the problem my bud's had, Can't get the damn 10mm bolt out. wish I could remember what they did. That old style sensor sucks. Did your Autozone sensor come with the pigtail conversion?

If you could find out what your friend did to get it out that would be great!!

And yes, a pigtail conversion. It has two different "plugs" but since I took the plug apart I know which pigtail to use.

Also, if you can find out from your friend - did the pigtail need any addtional wire to it to make it longer?

Thanks a ton!!:)
Paul

85lebaront2
01-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Whn I replaced mine the new Autozone one came with a pigtail and was actualy a Mopar part. As for getting the bolt out, my son did it, he needed to use the car while his was being repaired. I have the electronic (digital) speedometer, and it doesn't have any extra supply to it.

cordes
01-02-2006, 11:26 PM
I agree that getting at it from the bottom will be the easiest way to do it. If you could weasel a 1/2in. rachet with a 10mm on there some how the bolt will break before you cant get it out. I always use a 1/4in. rachet and some man power.:thumb:

85_600
01-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Whn I replaced mine the new Autozone one came with a pigtail and was actualy a Mopar part. As for getting the bolt out, my son did it, he needed to use the car while his was being repaired. I have the electronic (digital) speedometer, and it doesn't have any extra supply to it.

Yep!. Mine is a Mopar part as well, with pigtails.

Did you have any issues with the pigtail used being too short?

Good advice Cordes...I got a "esimate" at a local shop of $46.50 to put the SDS in for me, including splicing in wire for the pigtail that is too short :eek: How he knew this I have NO idea...:yuck: