PDA

View Full Version : 2.25 sv

Haibach boys
02-18-2011, 07:52 PM
im buying a new turbo, its all stock, and its a stock ti garret i'm purchasing, i'm planning on putting a 2.5 inch exhaust on the car, do i spend the money and get the 2.5 sv with the turbo. or can i run a 2.5 exhaust on a 2.25 sv?

turbovanmanČ
02-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Get the 3.0 TU version or get "shadows" elbow, otherwise get the 2.5 if you can't afford it.

You elongate the holes on the dp to fit, been there, got the badge, :p

BadAssPerformance
02-18-2011, 08:23 PM
im buying a new turbo, its all stock, and its a stock ti garret i'm purchasing, i'm planning on putting a 2.5 inch exhaust on the car, do i spend the money and get the 2.5 sv with the turbo. or can i run a 2.5 exhaust on a 2.25 sv?

As always, it depends on what you want to do with it and how much power you want to make and how much money you want to spend.

For a "T-I Garrett", I assume you mean an 87 or older "log" intake T-I that is all stock? If so, I would just stick with the 2.25" as you wont notice any different with everything else stock, low bosot, no intercooler, etc. Now if you do some other mods down the road, yeah a bigger outlet will help.

FWIW, my stock long block stock manifold full interior 87 T2 Shadow with stock T-II Garrett and stock 2.25" SV stock downpipe and 3" crush bend exhaust after that went 12.89 @ 105 so ~ 230whp...

glhs0426
02-18-2011, 08:23 PM
X2 The bigger the better on turbo exhaust.

BadAssPerformance
02-18-2011, 08:24 PM
True story, but why shell out a couple hundo on a big outlet if the car cant use it?

turbovanmanČ
02-18-2011, 08:39 PM
True story, but why shell out a couple hundo on a big outlet if the car cant use it?

Because IIRC, he's done a TII swap so go big or go home, :p

vipernbox
02-18-2011, 09:58 PM
You can port the 2.25 out just as 'big' if not bigger than the 2.5" inch one...

So with for the cost of some tooling for the die grinder the 2.25 can be 'better'...

But for a stock turbo.. and if I had both of them laying around.. I would bolt the 2.5" inch on... Although wouldn't go out of my way looking for one... Without one laying around I would either port a 2.25". or simply forget about it and go....

I sure would not drop a couple hundred to put a 3 inch outlet on a stock turbo...

BadAssPerformance
02-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Because IIRC, he's done a TII swap so go big or go home, :p

Sorry, not sure where you get that from but all I read was that it is:

"its all stock"

"stock ti garret"

puppet
02-19-2011, 12:12 PM
I think that the question ... "Is the stock 2.25" SV a good match for the stock turbocharger .. or is it just, good enough?" ... should be asked more in these types of discussions. Fact is that a bigger pressure drop across the turbine will make more power. Attention to both sides of the engine (that's induction and exhaust connections to the head) will improve engine VE. The rest is up to the head/flow capabilities. The change made by chrysler to the aft section of the T2 engines helped increase the power levels. So, this is a stupid question IMO.

In this thread the OP needs to be more specific about what the expectations are for his engine.

turbovanmanČ
02-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Sorry, not sure where you get that from but all I read was that it is:

"its all stock"

"stock ti garret"

He's posted in other threads, did you think about that? or maybe he has plans down the road. Why the hate? Do it right or don't do it, right?

BadAssPerformance
02-20-2011, 12:45 PM
He's posted in other threads, did you think about that? or maybe he has plans down the road. Why the hate? Do it right or don't do it, right?

No hate. And the definition of "doing it right" is different for each application.

I take each thread for what is in it and many of us have many cars and different goals for each of them, so how do we know what those are for this specific question and what vehicle is it for? :confused2:

In this thread the OP needs to be more specific about what the expectations are for his engine.

True story :nod:

puppet
02-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Ya but i shouldn't have said that the question was stupid. I spoke out of turn with that because we all have to start someplace with our understanding of turbos in general. I hope no offence was taken by Haibach boys ... none was intended.

BadAssPerformance
02-21-2011, 02:34 PM
True, we all started somewhere... I remember the first time thinking of how they work and trying to figure out how the exhaust was gonna help the intake, LOL!

turbovanmanČ
02-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Well if its just a stock log setup, stick with the 2.25, unless down the road you plan on going to a blow thru setup and wanting more, :eyebrows: