PDA

View Full Version : G-bodies vs. L-bodies!

supercrackerbox
07-04-2006, 05:12 AM
For the last three days, Ray (86Shelby) and I have been toiling over a TII/520 swap in my '86 Turbo Z CS (see other topic in this section). Over the course of the swap, Ray ranted on all the ways Daytonas are different from Omnis, and how Omnis are better. Now being the owner of '87 GLHS #103 and the former owner of Rays '86 GLHT, I've got nothing against L-bodies, but overall I've always been a Daytona guy. Ray has always been into Omnis. But after all our jesting, we thought it'd be fun to bring the topic to Turbomopar.com. So let's have it! Which is truly the better platform? Naturally, keep the discussion within the rules of the forum and remember it's all in good fun.

The battle of the L bodies and G bodies begins now!

GLHS592
07-04-2006, 09:18 AM
I've owned both. I love L-bodies because of their faults. They rattle. They are bare bones cars. They are small. The Daytona Shelby I had was a great car. It rode better. It stopped better. It had all the power options. I think it may have handled better. For a daily driver, I wouldn't even consider an L-body. The G-body would be a great choice. For going fast (with the same engine), the G-body just can't touch an L-body. They are just too heavy.

BadAssPerformance
07-04-2006, 09:25 AM
I like them both... but prefer the P

L-Never owned an L but have worked on them with others, hands are too big to own one. But they are the power-to-weight ratio that Shelby is known for. Great race car platform.

G-I prefer the room under the hood of a G body. More of a fwd muscle car than a shelby car. Do not make good drag cars ;)

P-Nice compromise between L and G

GLHS592
07-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Oh, I almost forgot:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/563/medium/Daytona_Parts_Car.jpg
:lol:

BadAssPerformance
07-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Lol, Burn!

Directconnection
07-04-2006, 10:27 AM
.....and '89 GTC T-II cars.... part's cars for your L-bodies AND P-bodies!

(11" brakes, 1-1/4 swaybar, 555, T-II cb 2.2, smec wiring, 16" lace wheels, etc.. the forgotten brother of the Daytona Shelby)

GLHSKEN
07-04-2006, 11:33 AM
G v/s L... Wheel base 'bout the same, height "bout the same, Length, 'bout the same, Cabin space "L" bigger, engine bay, "G" bigger.

I swear, chrysler just took an "L" and made a few pampering changes to it..

banger68
07-04-2006, 12:34 PM
I've always been a G-body guy. They strike a decent good balance for performance and comfort. No one can deny that from the factory .... they have the good parts. Nooooo ... no .... no .....no ..... G-bodies are not parts cars for L-bodies.:banghead:

cordes
07-04-2006, 01:11 PM
I am a big fan of my L body. Nothing like the lack of respect that a 6'6" guys gets when driving an omni and being dead serious about it. I love the underdog, and I am not sure that there is much better a choice than an omni for that role.

Marcus86GLHS
07-04-2006, 01:11 PM
oh it's a tie.

Holley
07-04-2006, 01:44 PM
I love 'em both, after the SC it took me a while to get used to the Daytona but now I have I can appreciate its good points. With cruise, air, electric everything it makes for a fab high-speed cruiser ... but overall I prefer the L - the SC/'87 GLHS is a tough, crude, little street fighter.

GLHNSLHT2
07-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Gbody faster above 150. Lbody stiffer, longer wheelbase on the 4 door cars, handles better, rides about the same, less chance of the car tearing itself apart because of flex. I like them both. But for a daily driver, racecar the Lbody wins. The chassis is way stronger than the Kbased cars. If it's got rattles then tighten up the screws.

iTurbo
07-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Omni all the way! I'll always be an L-body guy since my first car was an '85 GLH. Never owned a G-body though. I think I just like the 4-door TMs better all around.

tryingbe
07-04-2006, 02:19 PM
I own both cars currently.

85GLH-T with 2.5L, 5spd and 89 Daytona Shelby 5spd with T-tops.

Daytona is a better curiser than GLH-T. Hard to beat driving down with t-tops. :D

Everything else, acceleration, handling, weight, etc GLH-T wins.

Daytona is 700lbs heavier, that makes a huge difference.

Tony Hanna
07-04-2006, 02:23 PM
I've owned both. I love L-bodies because of their faults. They rattle. They are bare bones cars. They are small. The Daytona Shelby I had was a great car. It rode better. It stopped better. It had all the power options. I think it may have handled better. For a daily driver, I wouldn't even consider an L-body. The G-body would be a great choice. For going fast (with the same engine), the G-body just can't touch an L-body. They are just too heavy.

+1

Depends on what you want to do with it. For a driver, I'd rather have a G-body. For an all out race car, I'd rather have an L-body for the weight savings. So far, the Sundance (P-body) seems to be a pretty good compromise.

Directconnection
07-04-2006, 03:07 PM
My mother had one of those TC3's when they first came out. Everytime I look inside an Lbody, whether it's a GLHS or not, I get a sick reminder of that thing with it's cheezy interior.

But, don't let that fool ya... I'd still like to have a GLHS (87 or 86) or GLHT. I'd make due. After all... I drive a P-body and they're not much more attractive to the masses.

At least it's not a minivan!

I figured this would ruffle Simon's feathers:lol:

Force Fed Mopar
07-04-2006, 03:28 PM
I drive my GLHS everday, and love it. However it does rattle and squeak like hell, although most of that is due to wore out window rubber and the dash. The dash is the worst, it's actually pretty tight compared to other L-bodies I've seen, but it still shakes and squeaks in places I can never figure out.

I've never had a G-body, but I do have a J-body, and as far as daily drivers go, I loved my Lebaron. It's rode smooth, handled good, had a good comfortable seating position, you could drive all day in that thing with no problem. Right now it's tore apart for my V6 and late-model interior swap, but when it goes back together, I'll probably drive it everyday.

But if it came down to choosing between the 2, the Lebaron would be gone, no way would I take it over my 'S. So, my vote is L-body FTW!:thumb:

Mario
07-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Between the turbo, the exhaust, the bov, and the radio, I don't ever hear any noises in my L!

I'd say Daytona's are fun to cruise in and look a bit better. However I've grown partial to the look of the L's. Weight is definately a plus, and I feel they handle better.

TurboXT
07-04-2006, 04:21 PM
G v/s L... Wheel base 'bout the same, height "bout the same, Length, 'bout the same, Cabin space "L" bigger, engine bay, "G" bigger.

ya that sounds about right to me, seeing how i have a charger and my daytona parked together all the time. but you whats weird, i have been looking into getting new car covers for the both of them; and when i look at the sizes the daytona is a size 3 and the charger 3-87 is a size 5.....

:confused:

Holley
07-04-2006, 04:42 PM
At the mo the Daytona and SC are both on my drive next to each other ... every time I pull up in my daily I think to myself "damn, that Daytona has a fat backside" :D

amcpacer
12-26-2006, 08:09 PM
The Daytona feels much more solid. The thing I do not miss about the L-Body is that hideous interior. The Daytona has lots of places to put cool electronic gadgets such as overhead temp meter and digital traveller. The Daytona is better for stereos as well. There are 6 speakers surrounding you unlike 2 or 1 in an L body. I get more police attention in my Daytona though because it looks faster.

WVRampage
12-26-2006, 10:13 PM
L Bodys rule.Driving with the T tops are fun but the L body is just so much lighter and more fun to drive hard in.I havent realy driven a G body that much but I would like to maby one day build a Rear wheel drive daytona.Also to a earlier post I have used a Daytona for parts before.

BadAssPerformance
12-26-2006, 10:58 PM
The Daytona feels much more solid. ....

That is the extra 500+ lbs of weight! :thumb:

BLUEBALL
12-26-2006, 11:23 PM
The G is like a cute big girl. The L is like the little hot skinny girl that does more of what I like. Easy to haul --- of course.:thumb:

Funny the S car gets called a Daytona at the track,but better than being called an 80's Mustang by others

gvare001
12-26-2006, 11:27 PM
L bodies for me. Altough 4 door TD's are the coolest.

86Shelby
12-26-2006, 11:48 PM
The G is like a cute big girl. The L is like the little hot skinny girl that does more of what I like. Easy to haul --- of course.:thumb:

I dunno about that. The L isn't exactly hot; though she is easy to toss around when you're having fun.:nod:

BLUEBALL
12-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Guess I just like the eccentric freaky ones.Cant beat a nice firm rough ride :thumb:
oops did i just type that?!

Darkapollo
12-27-2006, 12:43 AM
well now. i own a Pbody and a Gbody, and I love em both. Never been a fan of the looks of the Lbodys, but Mark has been pushing his influence on me with his chargers..
When i got my Daytona i felt like a kid in a candy store. I have always wanted one cause i like dat 'big ol butt' :thumbs:

BadAssPerformance
12-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Daytona's were my first love but I have to say that I prefer driving the Shadows/CSX's. I've never owned an L body and my hands are not quite small enough to like working on them too much, LOL.

Whorse
12-27-2006, 02:09 AM
Never owned a G, but driven in lots, and I've owned 2 J's which are similar in a lot of ways. The VNTs had a full shelby suspension on them, and it handles very smoothly, but even my friend's 99 Eclipse AWD has a tough time cornering like my 85 GLH does.

It's hard to compare (unless you have a nice 90 Omni with all the ameneties, or a bare bones Daytona) because everything the Omni/Charger was, the Daytona wasn't (small, nimble, light, cheap[er], etc...)

Personally, I love driving my omni. It's fun and interesting. If I had a Daytona (which I'll compare to my GTC), it'd also be fun but in a different way. My lebaron has leather seats, good heat, nice stereo, comfortable ride, and very easy to drive. Also a lot easier to come by axles for my lebaron, as I don't have to look for a 1990 omni if I've done a transmission swap.

WickedShelby88
12-27-2006, 10:40 AM
My first car was an 85 Shelby Charger so Im kinda sentimental to them. It showed 155k on the original dash which had never been tinkered with down to the "Quartz Lock" tape deck. It rode really good and handled great. Ive practically been given the 2 daytonas I own and would never give them up, but I have to vote for the L because they are a great car and often dont get the appreciation they deserve on and off the track. Look at Slasky's car. It was showing those musclecars what was up.. Just my 2 cents.

slasky
12-27-2006, 11:40 AM
my g body is only 135lbs more than my charger.

CDNTurboZ
12-27-2006, 11:49 AM
I have a shelby charger and a turbo z.
As mentioned the daytona is much bigger in every way. I have found my shelby charger handled much better than my turbo z's (except for the squeaks in the interior lol)
It seems that l-bodies seem to rust more than g-bodies, or at least the ones I have seen.
One thing about my charger that I hate is everytime I go to the parts store they only have carbed parts........

I think its a tie for me, the daytona for daily driving/cruising and the charger for racing, etc

supercrackerbox
12-27-2006, 12:05 PM
The G is like a cute big girl.

I dunno, I don't think anyone has ever thought my Turbo Z was cute. In fact, I'll admit, sometimes I'm embarrased to be seen with her, but she sure is fun to take out on a dark road late at night . . . :eyebrows:

Daytona's were my first love but I have to say that I prefer driving the Shadows/CSX's.

I can agree with that. My CSXT may not have been quite as quick as my GLHS, but it drove nicer than my Turbo Z, handled at least as well as my GLHS, and could out-brake either of them without even trying. Should be interesting now as my Shelby Charger will soon be wearing the CSXT's brake package. :thumb:

All in all, I'm a Daytona guy. I'm feeling a bit out of place now that I suddenly own more L-bodies than G-bodies. But once the Charger is on the road, I'm hoping to give the Daytona some much needed attention. I'd dang near give someone the GLHS to do the body work on the Turbo Z.

Mario
12-27-2006, 12:40 PM
I'll help you get rid of that Charger when needed. :)

supercrackerbox
12-27-2006, 01:05 PM
I'll help you get rid of that Charger when needed. :)

Hope you're good at body work . . . ;)

boostboy
12-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Id have to say L-bodies is where its at. Form the lightweight no frills car, to the total sleeper effect on the four door cars, ad they handles great. The G-bodies are nicer to drive, especially when loaded up with options.
I dunno I guess the go-kart feel that the L-bodies have just makes them better to drive!

Turbodave
12-27-2006, 05:36 PM
L-bodies rule, not the best on comfort, but they are a blast to drive. I like the P-bodies second best, easier to work on and less quirky issues, but a little heavier.

G-bodys make nice parts cars for L and P bodies.

boost geek
12-27-2006, 08:58 PM
L bodies for me. If it wasn't for L bodies I would have never gotten into turbo mopars. ;)

BLUEBALL
12-28-2006, 11:45 PM
L bodies for me. If it wasn't for L bodies I would have never gotten into turbo mopars. ;)

+1 :thumb:
The L bods really are the greatest of all..... duh

WickedShelby88
12-29-2006, 02:47 AM
L-bodies rule, not the best on comfort, but they are a blast to drive. I like the P-bodies second best, easier to work on and less quirky issues, but a little heavier.

G-bodys make nice parts cars for L and P bodies.

Thats funny you mention that. Seems like you never had a softspot for G bodies. I used a P body to get the some parts for my Shelby Z resurrection and the K member underneath the 86 CS I have came from a 91 Shadow. But you have both a really nice GLHS and shadow so if you had to hack some G bodies to get er done its probably all for the better.

boostedblue
12-31-2006, 11:06 AM
Been driving L-bodies (4-dr) since sept of 86 LOVE them to death, nothing like the look on a SUV or tuner's face when I jump around them or loose them on a tollway off ramp. If I won the lottery would buy every L-body I could na or turbo well maybe a LeBaron turbo coupe or two, happy new year to every one stay safe BB:D :evil:

Birddog
01-01-2007, 04:17 AM
^^ Damn he's back!!
Wife and I were just talkin 'bout you!:D All good.....:eyebrows:

I have a soft spot for any 4 door 80s econobox that can suck the headlights outta most any current tuner car...:D

boostedblue
01-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi ya, been busy trying to heal and on a search for TD's far and wide , ps almost have my g/f talked into going to NHRA Nat's in Feb 07, see has become a John Force fan who knew. Life does get better as we age, BB:D

rare_ram
01-01-2007, 07:33 PM
L-bodys rock, I'm on my 5th.:nod:

rbryant
01-02-2007, 01:44 AM
I have always had L-bodies and love them.

The big advantage that the daytona has is the extra room in the nose for a DOHC engine. Getting an lbody with a decent radiator AND an intake manifold in front of the block while clearing the hood is near impossible.

People have done it but everyone that I have seen has skimped on the radiator or let the intake stick out of the hood. I haven't seen a car with a radiator setup that I am really satisfied with yet for a daily driver.

The daytona on the other hand came with a lotus head and has had a few 2.4 swaps!

-Rich

tryingbe
01-02-2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.members.aol.com/mopartek/home.html

rbryant
01-02-2007, 11:26 PM
http://www.members.aol.com/mopartek/home.html

It looks like another mini radiator to me... Do you have a top down or side shot showing the radiator?

That just isn't going to cut it here in Phoenix especially with a FMIC.

-Rich

2.216VTurbo
01-03-2007, 12:07 AM
I have always had L-bodies and love them.

The big advantage that the daytona has is the extra room in the nose for a DOHC engine. Getting an lbody with a decent radiator AND an intake manifold in front of the block while clearing the hood is near impossible.

People have done it but everyone that I have seen has skimped on the radiator or let the intake stick out of the hood. I haven't seen a car with a radiator setup that I am really satisfied with yet for a daily driver.

The daytona on the other hand came with a lotus head and has had a few 2.4 swaps!

-Rich

This is a Ford Explorer radiator core with custom end tanks. It fits under the core support with room for a 14" Spal fan. Car runs cool even with the Power stroke IC in front (though I'm building a better one now)

Mario
01-03-2007, 03:46 AM
Interesting location of the turbo. Care to show some pics of that exhaust header? :)

rbryant
01-03-2007, 04:23 AM
Actually that is really nice work to get that radiator in there.

Good job!

How much easier would it have been in a daytona? Don't get me wrong I would rather drive a charger but boy can it be tough to make things fit.

Turbodave
01-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Thats funny you mention that. Seems like you never had a softspot for G bodies. I used a P body to get the some parts for my Shelby Z resurrection and the K member underneath the 86 CS I have came from a 91 Shadow. But you have both a really nice GLHS and shadow so if you had to hack some G bodies to get er done its probably all for the better.

Actually no G-bodies were harmed in the creation of my Omni and Shadow. Everything on the Omni came off other L-bodies. The Shadow has a 555 from an 89 Daytona and some cast A-arms off a 91 Daytona in the J-yard, but everything else is original, or came off other P-bodys/

It's not that I don't have a softspot for G-body's, but that the right one has passed through my hands yet. Every G-body I've owned has either been wrecked or a rusty mess and not worth fixing. I would love to find a solid 86 T-Top car to build up with a TIII drivetrain eventually. In the mean time though I've been lucky to score some decent L and P body cars to work with...

3Bar_Mopar
01-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Even though I've always ended up with a Daytona, I've always loved the L bodies...... Daytonas are just too heavy and showy for me. Plus, nothing looks like a Shelby Charger....they're just so damn unique looking.

Anyone wanna trade a Daytona for an L body? :thumb:

paisley_pirate
01-03-2007, 05:29 PM
I've had both, and both have their respective places.

The Daytona is definitely cleaner aerodynamically (nice on a windy day out here in the open plains) and will go faster on top end... (not that you can really exploit that normally) nice ergonomics, and still respectable performance.

The L Body (well the GLH) is more brute force. Corners better, runs faster off the line, more nimble. Yeah, you don't have power windows or tilt wheel, but who cares... look at the smile on your face that comes from throwing it around!

L Body for me. I'm into the whole brute force concept (and boxes...)

Runner
01-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Haha, this discussion is right up there with "Which religion is right?" It's been beaten to death already, but I may as well weigh in.

Between myself and my immediate family we've owned 3 L's, 4 G's and 1 P. (5 of the 7 were mine at one point)

The P body stinks. Too upright all around, inside and out. Goofy dash. My Wrangler has a more sporty seating position and that pseudo trunklid/hatchback thing is even more ridiculous, kinda reminds me of a mullet in concept. The 2-doors are a poor execution that just look like the 4-door with less utility. You'd never know the 2- and 4-door L-bodies were the same car. (on the outside :))

The L-body is what I've got the most seat time in. I'm also guilty of wrecking an '89 Daytona Shelby for all it was worth to put the parts in the Turismo. While it was a screamer, I simply outgrew the lack of refinement others have discussed. Traffic in the last 10 years has gotten a lot heavier, and the conditions to properly enjoy the car just are so seldom available.

The G-bodies... I've always ragged on them for being big heavy turds and parts cars, but always had a soft spot for the 92/93. The weight you trade off for that solid feeling - you can't compare the two at any highway speed. I like with my R/T that I can put a stereo in it, and flip on the air when it's hot out. Guess I'm getting old and soft, I don't have an LSD in the car and I don't care cause I haven't needed it!

BadAssPerformance
01-03-2007, 08:16 PM
...It's not that I don't have a softspot for G-body's,...

Dave, speaking of G-body carnage, please e-mail me the pics of my last '87 Z carnage ;)

85shelbycharger
01-05-2007, 12:36 PM
I have two L's and one G right now. Without a doubt, I enjoy my Charger over the Daytona any day of the week...it's just a blast to drive! The Daytona however, I've never recieved so many compliments on one of my cars. Plus, the ladies seem to dig the Daytona :eyebrows:

Birddog
01-06-2007, 03:41 AM
I stopped thinking about what chicks think of my car after I got married:(

What really hooked me on L bodies was that driving it reminded me of my Midget......If it had power:D

WickedShelby88
01-06-2007, 10:26 AM
L-bodys are great, but chicks dig t-tops. Ive got two t-top g body cars.

Xtrempickup
01-06-2007, 11:29 AM
I dunno about that. The L isn't exactly hot; though she is easy to toss around when you're having fun.:nod:

The L is the short, skinny chick with glasses thats cute or hot in her own way. The G body is the chick that the L-body girl wishes she was, G has the a$$, about 4in on her and a chest like you could only imagine. Now thats where the extra weight comes from

DC Turismo
01-06-2007, 02:55 PM
I own one of each - the Turismo, and my Daytona Shelby.

Overall, I must say that it just pisses my off that Daytona's were not RWD!!!!! They'd have been so much more appreciated and appealing if they were. They are appealing now, but when you look at them, they just scream RWD car at you!

The L-bodies are great cars simply because they are base-line vehicles that are so much fun to drive. Simple interiors, and plenty of different parts to make your own creation.

Daytonas are great cars due to the updated interior, sleek body styling, and more room under the hood. The only downfall to them is that they are not RWD and that they are a bit heavier than the L-bodies.

I love driving my Daytona as a daily driver, but will never pass up an opportunity to take out the Turismo for a night cruise! (When it's on insurance lol)

Turbodave
01-08-2007, 05:03 PM
I got a call yesterday about an 85 or 86 Daytona Turbo that's for sale, maybe this will be my dream G-body?

From the second hand description I got it's a 60k mile gunmetal grey car, had a coolant leak and a fuel line leak. Has been sitting under a cover in a garage for the last 6 years. Is supposed to be a solid straight car. Owner needs it gone by the end of this week and the price is right, comes with lots of extras too! I'll post back when I get more details.

supercrackerbox
01-08-2007, 05:22 PM
I want pics asap!

BadAssPerformance
01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
I got a call yesterday about an 85 or 86 Daytona Turbo that's for sale, maybe this will be my dream G-body?

From the second hand description I got it's a 60k mile gunmetal grey car, had a coolant leak and a fuel line leak. Has been sitting under a cover in a garage for the last 6 years. Is supposed to be a solid straight car. Owner needs it gone by the end of this week and the price is right, comes with lots of extras too! I'll post back when I get more details.

Is that the elusive sunroof car?

Hopefully it's nice, otherwise Dave will kill it like everything else G-body that enters his path! :eek:

supercrackerbox
01-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Unless I can tempt him with a trade . . .

BadAssPerformance
01-08-2007, 07:11 PM
He's aaalways up for some wheelin' 'n dealin' :thumb:

WickedShelby88
01-08-2007, 10:10 PM
G-bodies just kinda fall into my lap. For me a shelby charger is my elusive car. I had one when I was 15. It was my official first car, but I had it long enough to get griped at by the landowners to get it out unless it could be running soon. At the time I knew nothing about cars and there was a big cloud of smoke around the fusible link area when we tried to jump start it.. DOh! Needless to say it got sent to the yard. Im still miffed about that ordeal.