PDA

View Full Version : 555 pops out of 5th

spoolinhard
02-18-2011, 01:11 PM
car is 87 shelby z. This has happened twice now. I was driving along and the car just pops out of 5th without warning. This happens right after going through the gears.(not while driving for a while down the interstate). Car goes right back into 5th. Car has probably 140k on it, I dont beat on it, it is my daily driver. This has alarmed me both times. Me thinks that the tranny is going out.

TurboGLH
02-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Low on oil? 5th is the furthest away from fresh oil, and gets the least, so it's the most prone to damage from low oil. It's a common issue, you'll see lots of trans that come in with damaged 5th's.

roachjuice
02-24-2011, 11:28 PM
happened to me once. it actually ran out of oil. yikes!

Steve in VA
02-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Back in the late 80's when I owned a few GLT turbos with the A525 in them, I had one kept jumping out of fifth. I was once on my way from Arkansas to Florida and made it to Alabama and it started to pop out of fifth, made it another 50 miles and it would not go into fifth at all and I had to ride in fourth for about 30 miles. Then it would not stay in 4th and into the dealer I went in 3rd. Spent 3 days in a hotel for them to order parts since none were in stock, but it was under warrenty. Sounds like your tranny is on its way out.

ShadowFromHell
02-25-2011, 08:54 PM
I would check the oil, although it may be to late. I busted a diff pin in a A555 (rare single pin POS) and it cracked the case, and was loosing fluid. Once it lost some fluid, it wouldnt stay in 5th. I didnt ever find out if more fluid would have fixed it, as the tranny was ruined.