PDA

View Full Version : Stock coil condensor info wanted

Reaper1
02-16-2011, 12:30 AM
On my '88 Shelby Z there is a small silver canister that is hooked up to the coil.

I beleive this to be a condensor (aka capacitor).

#1: Am I correct on this?

#2: Does anybody know where I can source a new one or if it needs to be used with aftermarket coils?

#3: If one can't be directl sourced, does anybody know what the specifications are for the part?

#4: I don't think I remember my '89 LeBaron having this. If this is the case and it did not have one stock, what changed from '88 to '89 where this part was eliminated?

supercrackerbox
02-16-2011, 01:24 PM
1. Yes, you are correct.

2. I bought one from the dealer in 1999, but don't know if they're still available. I did not run one with the MSD coil on my Charger, and it worked for about 5k miles until the coil burned out, at which point I switched to a later style epoxy coil.

3. No idea

4. I've never owned an '89, but my '88 Z had one as well.

Reaper1
02-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the info. At least I have somewhat of a starting point.

shackwrrr
02-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Correct term after the points era is "Radio noise suppressor". All it does is prevent noise when you use the AM stations, probably why later years they were phased out. My 90 doesn't and didn't have one.

turbovanmanČ
02-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Correct term after the points era is "Radio noise suppressor". All it does is prevent noise when you use the AM stations, probably why later years they were phased out. My 90 doesn't and didn't have one.

Yeppers, if you don't listen to AM, don't worry about it.

Reaper1
02-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Hmm...interesting.

RoadWarrior222
02-18-2011, 01:07 PM
I seem to remember seeing 22 microfarad somewhere, but don't remember where, could also have been 2.2 or .22 ... or something completely different.

shellboy
02-18-2011, 08:18 PM
i think you saw 2.2 turbo!! haha!

RoadWarrior222
02-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Now that does ring a bell ... is it something to do with Volvos?

rbryant
02-18-2011, 11:18 PM
I would still run the condenser. If the condenser is properly matched to the coil it can actually increase spark a bit. Just make sure it is the right condenser for the coil if you run one or it can actually be worse.

The 2.0/2.4 coilpack also uses a condenser so it wasn't something that they completely eliminated.

More info:

The capacitor also "harmonicly" tunes the coil, raising the peak output voltage and increasing the secondary voltage rise time. This increases the amount of energy transferred to the spark plugs. If the coil secondary voltage rises too quickly, excessive high frequency energy is produced. This energy is then lost into the air-waves by electro-magnetic radiation from the ignition wiring instead of going to the spark plugs where we would like it to go.

http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/Ignition/CDI.html

-Rich

Reaper1
02-19-2011, 10:18 AM
I would still run the condenser. If the condenser is properly matched to the coil it can actually increase spark a bit. Just make sure it is the right condenser for the coil if you run one or it can actually be worse.

The 2.0/2.4 coilpack also uses a condenser so it wasn't something that they completely eliminated.

More info:

The capacitor also "harmonicly" tunes the coil, raising the peak output voltage and increasing the secondary voltage rise time. This increases the amount of energy transferred to the spark plugs. If the coil secondary voltage rises too quickly, excessive high frequency energy is produced. This energy is then lost into the air-waves by electro-magnetic radiation from the ignition wiring instead of going to the spark plugs where we would like it to go.

-Rich

That makes me think maybe mine is bad because that also kind of sounds like if it's bad it could cause RFI! Hmmmm....

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2011, 04:19 AM

More info:

-Rich

I read it and to me, it only seems to apply to a points setup.

rbryant
02-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I read it and to me, it only seems to apply to a points setup.

It is required on a points setup. It helps the spark on a non points setup.

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2011, 02:15 PM
It is required on a points setup. It helps the spark on a non points setup.

-Rich

I know that, but they put all that info in the points section, so to me, it doesn't apply to modern day electronic ignition. I'll ask my friends at Aurora and see what they say.

rbryant
02-28-2011, 02:23 PM
I know that, but they put all that info in the points section, so to me, it doesn't apply to modern day electronic ignition. I'll ask my friends at Aurora and see what they say.

Sure it is in the points section but the tuning of the coil has nothing to do with the points.

Why did our cars come with one? Why do all of the 2.0/2.4 wasted spark cars come with one?

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Sure it is in the points section but the tuning of the coil has nothing to do with the points.

Why did our cars come with one? Why do all of the 2.0/2.4 wasted spark cars come with one?

-Rich

I'll find out, :p

Reaper1
02-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Should be interesting to see what they have to say!

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Should be interesting to see what they have to say!

Strictly for points systems and on newer systems for RFI interference. The electronics work so fast and accurately, the condenser/capacitor isn't needed.

Rich, just thought of something, if they are needed, why don't all DIS systems have one? :p

rbryant
02-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Strictly for points systems and on newer systems for RFI interference. The electronics work so fast and accurately, the condenser/capacitor isn't needed.

Rich, just thought of something, if they are needed, why don't all DIS systems have one? :p

I never said they were "needed." I just said they can help.

Why don't all cars have turbos?

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2011, 05:27 PM
I never said they were "needed." I just said they can help.

Why don't all cars have turbos?

-Rich

Now your being silly.

rbryant
02-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Now your being silly.

I agree that I was exagerating. Perhaps I should have used strut braces as an analogy instead of turbos.

Did the epoxy thermostat mounted coils have a condenser? Perhaps it is more of an issue with a conventional oil filled coil.

If it can tune the coil and/or reduce RF then I say why not have one?

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2011, 07:02 PM
I agree that I was exagerating. Perhaps I should have used strut braces as an analogy instead of turbos.

Did the epoxy thermostat mounted coils have a condenser? Perhaps it is more of an issue with a conventional oil filled coil.

If it can tune the coil and/or reduce RF then I say why not have one?

-Rich

I don't recall seeing one on the Epoxy coils.

Sure, getting rid of RFI is good thing but it seems only some have an issue? :confused:

Reaper1
03-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Just as a weird note, I know that the DIS system on 3000GT and Stealths use a capacitor and if it's not used, reportedly it causes HUGE RFI issues!

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Just as a weird note, I know that the DIS system on 3000GT and Stealths use a capacitor and if it's not used, reportedly it causes HUGE RFI issues!

GM's don't use one, I've only ever seen on on the points setup, that's it.

COP don't use one either.

rbryant
03-01-2011, 04:15 PM
GM's don't use one, I've only ever seen on on the points setup, that's it.

COP don't use one either.

It is also possible that some of them have internal condensers.

The DIS unit probably doesn't have an internal condenser but it wouldn't shock me if the COP had a small capacitor integrated into the coil. It might also be less of an issue if the coil is dedicated and not shared on all four cylinders.

Anyway it is all just speculation on my part. I don't know. :) Just another nit pick type of discussion where it probably doesn't matter.

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
03-02-2011, 05:17 PM
It is also possible that some of them have internal condensers.

The DIS unit probably doesn't have an internal condenser but it wouldn't shock me if the COP had a small capacitor integrated into the coil. It might also be less of an issue if the coil is dedicated and not shared on all four cylinders.

Anyway it is all just speculation on my part. I don't know. :) Just another nit pick type of discussion where it probably doesn't matter.

-Rich

True but it wasn't to nitpick, just posting up what I've seen, :p

rbryant
03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
True but it wasn't to nitpick, just posting up what I've seen, :p

In this case I was probably the one nitpicking.

-Rich