PDA

View Full Version : Auto pump/clutches questions

Speedeuphoria
07-03-2006, 09:37 PM
So I am a newb at transmissions and would like to know if it is recomended to soak the clutch discs if fluid before install??

And is it required to pre lube or pack the trans oil pump before re assembly?

ottawa rogue
07-03-2006, 10:31 PM
that's what i was always told, and that's pretty much how i do it.
i use a coffee can, fill it 1/2 way with ATF, and put the clutches in for a couple of hours anyway (for my 413, i'll probably be able to use a margarine tub:D)
as far as the pump goes, i don't see how it could hurt to pack it full of white lithium grease.
Any of you more experienced guys chime in, this will be my first 413 also

Speedeuphoria
07-03-2006, 11:00 PM
I was just going to pack the pump w/ vasoline because the fsm I have says nothing about either subject

Stevien1
07-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Soaking the clutches for a few before installing them is a good idea, don't forget the bands (especially if they're new).

Don't put lithium grease in your trans, use trans assembly lube (vasoline). As far as packing the pumps- you don't really need to because they're self priming, but if it makes you feel better.........

TurboJerry
07-04-2006, 02:23 AM
I use trans fluid to pre-lube the pump gears. If it's going to sit for more than a year, then use "trans prep". The pump will prime really fast. You don't want metal to metal contact for those first 3 seconds though.....