PDA

View Full Version : RWD Dodge auto trans issue - kickdown cable or???

ShelGame
02-14-2011, 12:38 PM
OK, so my 'new' Jeep has an issue with the trans shifting. When accelerating to a 'moderate' speed, it holds 2nd gear for a while sometimes. I can get it to shift by either lifting off the throttle, or by adding throttle. Seems like it could be a sticky valve, but since I can get it to change gears with just about any change in throttle, I thought it might be TV cable related, too.

Otherwise, the trans shifts fine, doesn't slip. I was planning a fluid change/flush anyway since it's got so many miles on it. Would that help if the problem is a sticky valve?

440dart
02-15-2011, 12:28 PM
yeah thats weird usally when you let off and its shift the kick down is set to tight seems odd that if you give it more throttle it shift too? sounds like something is sticky

ShelGame
02-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Well, if I give it more throttle, it shifts as if I was giving it a whole bunch of throttle. IE, 2nd gear always seems to have near WOT shift points, regardless of the throttle position. Unless I lift, then it shifts pretty much right when I lift. The other gears seem to be fine? I think I might let a notch or 2 out of the TV cable and see if it's better.

Big_P
02-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Very common with RWD Chrysler products, the kickdown lever on the transmission gets dirt and stuff in it and sticks. Trace the cable back to the transmission and lubricate the *shitt* out of the lever where it comes out of the transmission. After you do that, grab it (dont use too much force, you won't have to) with pliers and work it back and forth, back and forth, until it's free again.

shadow88
02-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Which transmission do you have?

ShelGame
02-15-2011, 08:10 PM
42RE, but I think that's a misnomer. It's a 3sp hydraulic trans with electronic overdrive and a lookup converter.

shadow88
02-15-2011, 08:13 PM
It the trans oil pan rectangular or rectangular with a bump on it?

ShelGame
02-15-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't remember. What does it matter?

shadow88
02-15-2011, 08:19 PM
One is 904 based (rectangular) and the other 727 based (with hump) both with overdrive units added. IT just helps to know what you're starting with.

ShelGame
02-15-2011, 08:23 PM
I'll have to look again, but I remember it looking very much like the 904's we put in the race cars...

Big_P
02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Did you lubricate the kickdown lever yet?

ShelGame
02-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Haven't had time during daylight hours to crawl under it yet. Maybe this weekend. Got some other work to do on it anyway...

ShelGame
02-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Doesn't appear that the kickdown lever is sticking. It seemed free when I wiggled it yesterday while I was under the Jeep replacing the crank pos sensor, and the exhaust manifold, and the LH motor mount, and the water pump, and the thermostat, and...

Oh, and the trans pan looks rectangular and wide to me. Not much like the 904's I'm used to working on with my father-in-law's V8 racecars.

EDIT: In researching it, it looks the like the 42RE is basically an A500 or a derivative of the 904...

fleckster
03-01-2011, 08:21 PM
The overdrive A904 (A500) is the 42RE. The overdrive A727 (A518) is the 46RE. It's not a misnomer. It has electronic OD an electronic controlled Lockup. The RWD transmissions with electronic controlled valve bodies are xxRFE transmissions where FE means "Fully Electronic".

ShelGame
03-02-2011, 09:31 AM
The overdrive A904 (A500) is the 42RE. The overdrive A727 (A518) is the 46RE. It's not a misnomer. It has electronic OD an electronic controlled Lockup. The RWD transmissions with electronic controlled valve bodies are xxRFE transmissions where FE means "Fully Electronic".

I guess, my thought was that the 'E' meant there was a TCM. Which, there isn't - it's all controlled by the SBECII...

ShelGame
03-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Oh, and FWIW, it seems to be shifting better now. I changed the (extremely) cracked and leaky exhaust manifold. Drove it to work this morning and noticed that I don't need near as much throttle to accelerate as before. Between the leaks and running full rich (O2 sensor probably saw a bunch of oxygen with all the cracks) I think it was simply WAY down on power. We'll see where the adaptives settle to, but it's much better so far.

Rampage16V
05-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Rob this is a normal condition of the front clutch seals wearing out.
replace the alum piston or clean it up with some fine emery paper and replace the seals and all will be good

GLHSHELBY
05-15-2011, 07:08 PM
make sure the spring is on the TV cable. I had the same problem

ShelGame
05-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Rob this is a normal condition of the front clutch seals wearing out.
replace the alum piston or clean it up with some fine emery paper and replace the seals and all will be good

Can you do that by just dropping the pan (piston above the valve body)? Or is it something that's inside the drums?

It's actually been better now that I've got some miles on it. I think this thing wasn't driven much the last couple of years. But, it still does it sometimes.