PDA

View Full Version : Project: Fried Scampi

fleckster
02-13-2011, 06:17 PM
With the price of fuel climbing ever higher and my recent marriage and move to my wife's house which is 40 miles one way to work each day, I quickly discovered that driving my Hemi Ram back and forth was going to be a bank account drainer. I also don't want to continue to put hundreds of miles a week on my other nice and somewhat rare/collector cars (Okay so this is a stretch. They are somewhat desirable to others here on this Forum.) After seeing all the super sweet L Body trucks that you guys have put together here and hearing that future plans for Chrysler include replacing the current Dakota with a possible unibody FWD or AWD "Lifestyle" truck (based on the minivans???) the idea was forged into my mind...

A search of various places to find a suitable trucklet was on. I knew of a neglected '82 Rampage with a topper locally but despite several attempts to talk the owner out of it for what I thought it was worth, it wasn't to be. It is still setting in the same spot now for at least 6 years...

One day, I was searching on-line and I came across a guy selling an '83 Scamp. The price was descent too. Now there was a reason the price was good and he was willing to part with it. It had suffered a pretty bad engine fire (rubber fuel lines strike again!) and toasted everything under the hood and the nose well beyond an easy fix. I made the trip to check it out, looked it over, and decided to make it happen.

Here's what it looked like when I loaded it up to haul it home:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/884/medium/Scamp_loaded_on_trailer.jpg

As you can see it was quite fried under the hood.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/884/medium/picture3.jpg
Lucky for me, there isn't much in there that I was planning on using anyway. After parting out several vehicles over the past few years, I've managed to have a nice collection of parts ready for this project. A rusted beyond any other usefulness '89 Caravan Turbo with a knocking rod gave up a rebuildable Common Block 2.5L Turbo engine. I've traded parts for some cash to pick up a nice '90 A523 with a 3.50 Final Drive from a non-turbo Dodge Shadow so it shouldn't need much to freshen it up. I got in a on a group buy for an OBX so I have the transmission covered. I even picked up a 1st Gen Neon shifter and cables to use. Reeves and I parted out a couple GLH Turbo Omnis and they gave up wiring harnesses and 5 lug hubs.

1966 dart wagon
02-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Talk about fried! Nice project

5sp. mini
02-13-2011, 09:52 PM
your ready to go.GET-R-DONE. ya the truck will kill you in fuel to drive that far.my ford gets 7 or 8 with 6 miles one way it still kills me/ that why i,m putting the daytona togther to drive dayly.

86seeS
02-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Subscribed!

Reeves
02-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Subscribed!

BadAssPerformance
02-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Subscribed... and love the project name! LOL! :thumb:

Reeves
02-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Subscribed!

Oh yeah....forgot I'm working on this project.

Pics the way I picked it up from Fleck and brought it home, and after hood removal, and after we put it on the lift. A little worse than expected.

Sheetmetal/frame repair guy coming to the shop Wednesday evening to check it out.

ScottD
02-14-2011, 02:54 PM
http://http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28908&d=1297708267

That piece that looks like strap metal, is that a factory piece or something that someone added to support that area?

Reeves
02-14-2011, 02:55 PM
http://http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28908&d=1297708267

That piece that looks like strap metal, is that a factory piece or something that someone added to support that area?

It's someone's half azz patch job glued on to where the frame rail in non-existent due to rust.

shackwrrr
02-14-2011, 03:30 PM
subcribed

Turbodave
02-14-2011, 04:58 PM
It's someone's half azz patch job glued on to where the frame rail in non-existent due to rust.

This thread is making me feel better about my Rampage, maybe I'll have mine on the road before Fleck does. Or maybe I just haven't had mine up on a lift yet...

fleckster
02-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Glad I could help, Dave...(sniff sniff, sob)

Reeves
02-14-2011, 11:15 PM
More pics tommorrow.

Reeves
02-15-2011, 04:19 PM
As promised.....more pics.
Removed interior trim, seats, and NASTY wet carpet and NASTY soaking wet stuff under carpet last night.

PO has DEFINITELY done half repairs. It has a 'new' driver side floorboard complete with drywall screws. Also, the passenger seat has had some modifications to keep it from tipping over. See pics.

I had to cut the carpet under the dash area, as it was melted to the floor and the rest of the melted dash.

fleckster
02-15-2011, 04:50 PM
It just keeps getting better and better!

Turbodave
02-15-2011, 05:15 PM
It's not that bad John, I've seen a bunch that were worse than yours.

jaysshelby
02-15-2011, 10:46 PM
It's not that bad John, I've seen a bunch that were worse than yours.

just track down a parts car with good floors and replace the whole pan. had to on mine as well.

2.216VTurbo
02-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Woah, is Swiss Cheese good with Fried Scampi:lol:? Respect to the guys who know how to save that trucklett, good on you Jim and John:clap:

ScottD
02-15-2011, 11:49 PM

Yikes!

That's a lot of rust repair to tackle but do-able.

rx2mazda
02-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Wow. have fun bringing this truck back to life.

135sohc
02-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Its always better once you pull the carpet up :(

Reeves
02-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Cleaned up garage from the mess last night. Stored removed parts in the basement. Fleck now has a shelf in the basement along side "Andy's Corner"

Next will be removing Dash.

Then maybe this weekend removing crispy power train.

Anything useful in a A-465?

Going to keep this a steerable rolling chassis. Will take the outer CV's apart to keep the wheel bearings together. Will make it a lot easier to take places (my buddies fab shop, storage, body shop, etc).

contraption22
02-16-2011, 11:33 AM
John, that ain't so bad. Freal. If you love the car, it's worth saving.

I've heard a rumor that early Mustang floor pan patch panels make pretty damn good replacements for Lbodies.

Lemme try to confirm this.

RoadWarrior222
02-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Could be a lot worse, coulda crossed your fingers and ploughed on with upgrades and topside pretties, and had that nasty surprise waiting for you. Now you can get it floored up good, stick some 3/8 armor plate in there for proof against IEDs etc....

fleckster
02-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the confidence and inspiriing words, guys!

The floor pans honestly don't scare me as I'm sure we can find an Omni (which we may already have - '88 TBI shell) or other L Body to get some from if James' metal fab guy doesn't just want to make some. My concern is going to be the driver's side frame rail or that apparant total lack of one. Also how bad will the firewall be once the dash comes out? Since it had all the paint burnt off and has been bare metal for a bit, there might not be anything to tie the floor pans into! Seriously though, I'm going to guess most of this damage was done well before the engine caught fire otherwise it wouldn't have been half-arsed fixed in the first place.

contraption22
02-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Two words, man.

Tube Chassis.

Thanks for the confidence and inspiriing words, guys!

The floor pans honestly don't scare me as I'm sure we can find an Omni (which we may already have - '88 TBI shell) or other L Body to get some from if James' metal fab guy doesn't just want to make some. My concern is going to be the driver's side frame rail or that apparant total lack of one. Also how bad will the firewall be once the dash comes out? Since it had all the paint burnt off and has been bare metal for a bit, there might not be anything to tie the floor pans into! Seriously though, I'm going to guess most of this damage was done well before the engine caught fire otherwise it wouldn't have been half-arsed fixed in the first place.

Reeves
02-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Two words, man.

Tube Chassis.

I agree. But he's wanting to keep it on the street.

contraption22
02-16-2011, 03:33 PM
I agree. But he's wanting to keep it on the street.

Option 2. Find a ShelbyZ. Cut down the unibody to fit it under the Scamp. Add 50lbs. Then it'll be streetable.

Reeves
02-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Option 2. Find a ShelbyZ. Cut down the unibody to fit it under the Scamp. Add 50lbs. Then it'll be streetable.

Then paint it red, or does the donor need to be red?

contraption22
02-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Then paint it red, or does the donor need to be red?

Better to be on the safe side with the Tech Steward.

Reeves
02-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Better to be on the safe side with the Tech Steward.

Leave one of these and a Zima on the fender before inspection?

contraption22
02-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Leave one of these and a Zima on the fender before inspection?

Couldn't hurt.

88_pacifica
02-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Ouch... I had no idea it was THAT bad. I know that when Fleck and I went to get it a while back the floorpans weren't THAT bad. Leaving the cars out there at Brad's sitting it the back 40 is what did it in. I can only imagine what the floorpans on my Daytona look like... :(

RoadWarrior222
02-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Yurr, parking a car on grass will eat it from the bottom up pretty quick, at least in this climate, every night it will get wet.

fleckster
02-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Ouch... I had no idea it was THAT bad. I know that when Fleck and I went to get it a while back the floorpans weren't THAT bad. Leaving the cars out there at Brad's sitting it the back 40 is what did it in. I can only imagine what the floorpans on my Daytona look like... :(

I'm sure it definitely made things worse but the damage had to be there before otherwise the nasty patchwork (angle iron, driver's floorboard with drywall screws, custom passenger seat mounting, all the bondo) wouldn't have been done. I'm anxiously waiting to hear what Tim, the fab guy has to say about it tonight.

54inches
02-16-2011, 10:58 PM
I have a big box of left over parts from mine that I will send you. lol

Reeves
02-16-2011, 11:33 PM
just track down a parts car with good floors and replace the whole pan. had to on mine as well.

This is a must. It's still YET worse than we thought. Thanks to Tim (my fav fab guy) for pointing out stuff I didn't even see.

Yikes!

That's a lot of rust repair to tackle but do-able.

Do-Able we all agree on. Tim says it's a must to find a donor car for good parts, or find new panels. We ain't gonna find new panels, unless the mustang one's fit like Marra said. And if we find a donor car with good parts, then why would we be parting it? LOL. It is interesting though that the floorpans on this are EXACTLY like a 4 door OMNI. It even has the rear seat hump and the rear foot area, though covered up by a bed. I never knew that. May be common knowledge, but I found it very cool.

I'm sure it definitely made things worse but the damage had to be there before otherwise the nasty patchwork (angle iron, driver's floorboard with drywall screws, custom passenger seat mounting, all the bondo) wouldn't have been done. I'm anxiously waiting to hear what Tim, the fab guy has to say about it tonight.

You don't want to hear what Tim said..... Although it was comical and we had a good time with it. Like I said.....He said it is do-able, but he gave me a go-by price, and he only agreed to do it if we found good patch panels. It's too far gone for him to make all the panels.

We were discussing what we think may have happened to this car. Did the PO buy it form a car lot? It looks a LOT like a car lot may have patched it up good enough to sell. I got pics of quarter panel complete with duct tape, plastic something or other, and plenty of BONDO to prove it. Add this to the half azz frame repair and the angle iron holding down the passenger seat, and just enough metal to hold the drivers feet in place, and it's the making for it. I don't think any actual OWNER would make these type of repairs. Well, maybe people of Walmart, but any real owner.....

GLHNSLHT2
02-16-2011, 11:36 PM
What's so rare about the Lebaron in your Sig Fleck?

Reeves
02-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Pics of AWESOMENESS!!!!

We were pushing on what we thought was a bondo repair of rust, and it kept giving like plastic. Pulled a little, and we found tons of duct tape, bondo, and some sort of like plastic siding stuff. It was SERIOUSLY very comical!! Sorry Fleck......but it was..... :thumb:

contraption22
02-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Best I have is 3rd hand information about the early mustang patch panels. Basically they are kinda-sorta the shape you need to save you alot of work over making your own patch panels. It's not a drop in replacement, but they are a good place to start.

fleckster
02-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the info, Mike! I'll keep that for future use.

Unfortunately, based on the report from last night, this project I believe is now dead.

RoadWarrior222
02-17-2011, 09:31 AM
And if we find a donor car with good parts, then why would we be parting it? LOL.

Guess we could cross our fingers for something lightly rolled, or that a tree fell on :D

Reeves
02-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Best I have is 3rd hand information about the early mustang patch panels. Basically they are kinda-sorta the shape you need to save you alot of work over making your own patch panels. It's not a drop in replacement, but they are a good place to start.

That's not a bad start if they half azz fit. The real problem is that the pinch point where the interior firewall/floorboards meet is badly rusted as far up as we can see. And this is with the seam sealer still on. It's going to be REALLY bad when we grind off the seam sealer.

I know our cars, L-bodies especially, are not collector or valuable to anyone else to us, but it seems to me that there could have been/could be a decent market for floor PANS and such, especially since they could essentially fit all L-bodies (OMNI, Horizon, Chargers, Turismo, Rampage, Scamp, etc).

contraption22
02-17-2011, 10:29 AM
From my perspective, because I can't afford to pay others for body work, saving the floors is not too big of a deal. I am more concerned about the quarters and rampage-specific body panels.

Reeves
02-17-2011, 10:38 AM
http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/charger.html

Charger quarter panels!

79 87 Dodge Charger/Shelby 236-50FL LH QUARTER PNL SKIN 2 DR NO GAS HOLE OMNI/HORIZON/CHARGER/TURISMO/RAMPAGE 79-87 123.00
79 87 Dodge Charger/Shelby 236-50FR RH QUARTER PNL SKIN 2 DR NO GAS HOLE OMNI/HORIZON/CHARGER/TURISMO/RAMPAGE 79-87 123.00

Possible 90 Horizon floor pans I found from the *other* site…..although a quick search didn’t show up:

contraption22
02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
I dunno why I laughed when I read "NO GAS HOLE" but I did.

RoadWarrior222
02-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Personally, I'd probably whip up a scrap wood jig for hammerforming them.

Reeves
02-17-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't think $123 a piece is bad for fresh formed metal!

fleckster
02-17-2011, 11:24 AM
What's so rare about the Lebaron in your Sig Fleck?

I guess there is nothing that rare about a LeBaron GT Turbo convertible but it doesn't make for a good year round daily driver around here. You don't see many around anymore in nice shape but that doesn't make it "rare". I was more refering to my Shelby Lancer, silver Spirit R/T, and my low mileage bought new Neon R/T and SRT-4.

karlak
02-17-2011, 11:27 AM

Saw this last month down the street from me. Cell phone pic sucks.

contraption22
02-17-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't think $123 a piece is bad for fresh formed metal!

It does seem cheap. How close are the Charger and Ramage rear quarters? I'm pretty sure they are vastly different. IIRC, they don't have the same wheelbase.

RoadWarrior222
02-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Nice site, all the parts I need to make a Plymouth Voyager Superbird.

Reeves
02-17-2011, 11:50 AM
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/2174241809.html

fleckster
02-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Well, that will help for doors...doesn't help for finding another vehicle to start with.

Reeves
02-17-2011, 12:37 PM
I told Tim we found quarter panels and he text me back "Are you going to flatten them out and make floorboards out of them?" LOL.

We found quarters, we found doors, now if that OMNI up in my barn has floor boards and firewall we may be back in business. I'll check. I may take your Scamp to barn and drag the OMNI down to gut it out.

fleckster
02-17-2011, 01:07 PM
It does seem cheap. How close are the Charger and Ramage rear quarters? I'm pretty sure they are vastly different. IIRC, they don't have the same wheelbase.

Mike, the trucks have a longer wheelbase (104") but you know how Chrysler does everything on the cheap. As Reeves mentioned, the floor pan is still an Omni. The quarters are the same at the rear as the Charger. They just extended them before the wheel to make them longer. A buddy of mine who did body work (RIP Chad!) once told me, most of the replacement quarters you can get in the aftermarket you don't want to put on whole because they usually aren't very good but they make great starting points for patching. He said you always replace just the metal you have to and keep as much of the original as you can. Even the Taiwan-made muscle car full quarters should be used to patch. Cut off what you need. What do I know? I had him do my Duster because I don't have the patience or knowledge to do bodywork.

Reeves
02-17-2011, 01:25 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?55835-82-Rampage-2.5-turbo-auto-swap-VERY-clean!

Road trip!

mcsvt
02-17-2011, 01:30 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?55835-82-Rampage-2.5-turbo-auto-swap-VERY-clean!

Road trip!

If I were going up that way I'd drag it back for you. I'll be driving from San Diego back east, so if there are parts along the way you need, I can pick them up.

ShadowFromHell
02-17-2011, 04:51 PM

Road trip!

Thats funny you posted that, I was just about too, Its my post and I cant help from whoring it out! It is VERY clean and I can guarantee you it has NO rust! Runs and drives nice too ;). Heck buy a plane ticket, Ill pick you up from the airport and you can drive it home!

contraption22
02-17-2011, 06:07 PM
I want that Rampage. I'd just drive it as-is. No way for me to get it.

ScottD
02-17-2011, 07:45 PM
The floor pan rust is one thing, but if the rust is into the firewall and frame rails that's another.

I had a friend who bought an 86 GLHS once without looking it over as closely as he should. When he pulled the engine out of it, the driver's side frame rail was swiss cheese. Sometimes they just get to be too far gone to save.

RoadWarrior222
02-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Soooooooooo....

... is the back end any good for a matching trailer when he get's a good one? :evil:

shackwrrr
02-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Sell you my shadow lol.

Vigo
02-17-2011, 09:23 PM
... Is the back end any good for a matching trailer when he get's a good one?

dooooooo eeeeeeeet

jaysshelby
02-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Mike, the trucks have a longer wheelbase (104") but you know how Chrysler does everything on the cheap. As Reeves mentioned, the floor pan is still an Omni. The quarters are the same at the rear as the Charger. They just extended them before the wheel to make them longer. A buddy of mine who did body work (RIP Chad!) once told me, most of the replacement quarters you can get in the aftermarket you don't want to put on whole because they usually aren't very good but they make great starting points for patching. He said you always replace just the metal you have to and keep as much of the original as you can. Even the Taiwan-made muscle car full quarters should be used to patch. Cut off what you need. What do I know? I had him do my Duster because I don't have the patience or knowledge to do bodywork.

John, the rear quarters behind the wheels are not the same as a Charger, been there tried it. if your interested I have rust free rockers and frame rails and a fire wall out of a Shelby Charger.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Soooooooooo....

... is the back end any good for a matching trailer when he get's a good one? :evil:

HEY NOW, thats getting to close to me now.

fleckster
02-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Sorry, Jay. I guess I shouldn't about things I don't really know about. Since everyone uses the rear fender extensions from the Shelby Chargers I would have figured that were the same. I promise to not make comments like that again. I'll leave it to the experts like you. Thanks for the correction.

Reeves
02-18-2011, 01:22 PM
So, what are we doing?

Think I'll pull the motor/trans out Saturday to make it lighter.

fleckster
02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
So, what are we doing?

I'm trying to do some planning to figure out how exactly to justify to Carla, come up with the funds, and execute the purchase and transport of another Trucklet back here. I also need to confirm the condition and ask a few more questions to the owner. I hope to do that this afternoon sometime. Feel free to pull the motor and junk it. (Is the head worth saving? Not sure if it is compatable but it is a closed-chamber design. It would have to have new seats, etc. to get it to turbo condition...probably not worth the effort.) If you want to save the axle stubs for bearing retainers, you can do that too like we discussed for a future need.

contraption22
02-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Well,

A Fleck mentioned previously, he wouldn't be using the entire new panel if they were availabe. Perhaps th Charger quarters would be close enough to provide patch panels for the trucklet quarters?

Reeves
02-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Feel free to pull the motor and junk it. (Is the head worth saving? Not sure if it is compatable but it is a closed-chamber design. It would have to have new seats, etc. to get it to turbo condition...probably not worth the effort.) If you want to save the axle stubs for bearing retainers, you can do that too like we discussed for a future need.

The head is a 445. Sweet. BUT, it's been in a fire. Have no idea if it suffered any warpage or anything?

Turbodave
02-18-2011, 03:53 PM
John, there is a rolling shell of an 82 Rampage in my barn, it's been somebody's project so some metal is cut out of the quarters already, no glass, etc. It's decent and I don't recall seeing any issues with the frame or floors (floors were repaired already). It's got no title currently but I'm in contact with the last owner still and may be able to get one. Let me know if you want some more pictures.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/grn_page_2.jpg

fleckster
02-18-2011, 04:08 PM
The head is a 445. Sweet. BUT, it's been in a fire. Have no idea if it suffered any warpage or anything?

That's what surface plates are for!

Reeves
02-18-2011, 04:09 PM
That's what surface plates are for!

More worried about cam towers, cracks, etc.

fleckster
02-18-2011, 04:11 PM
More worried about cam towers, cracks, etc.

That's what CMMs and pressure testing is for! lol

R/T
02-18-2011, 06:15 PM
So, what are we doing?

Leave it in, it will bring more $$ at the scrap yard.... :)

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

). It's got no title currently but I'm in contact with the last owner still and may be able to get one.

That's Easy; just use the dash/VIN from his white one. ( Not that I've ever done that...... ) :p

moparman76_69
02-18-2011, 07:08 PM
So how bad is it really?

88_pacifica
02-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Hmmm.... So now what Fleck? This puts a whole new spin on things since you are now the proud owner of multiple Scamp/Rampage parts/pieces. I think that a proper teardown may be in order to salvage what we can. Maybe we need to have a group deconstruction like we did at your house on that Omni?? :eyebrows:

turbovanman²
02-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Bummer about the floors, cool project though.

88_pacifica
02-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Bummer about the floors, cool project though.

It needs WAAAYYY more than floors. I've seen junkyard rollers that needed less work. :(

RoadWarrior222
02-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Well since there's not much original metal to match up with... thought of trying brat and vw pickup parts? :D

ohiorob
02-19-2011, 09:25 AM
to bad about all that rust. it would be cheaper and better in the long run just to scrap it and buy a almost rust free body. can't wait to pay off and start on mine.

fleckster
02-19-2011, 10:09 AM
I agree, Rob! That what I'm trying to work out now!

Reeves
02-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Hmmm.... So now what Fleck? This puts a whole new spin on things since you are now the proud owner of multiple Scamp/Rampage parts/pieces. I think that a proper teardown may be in order to salvage what we can. Maybe we need to have a group deconstruction like we did at your house on that Omni?? :eyebrows:

That's sounds fun! You guys are MORE than welcome to come down to my place and hangout/destruction/drink beer!

to bad about all that rust. it would be cheaper and better in the long run just to scrap it and buy a almost rust free body. can't wait to pay off and start on mine.

We need to get yours on my lift Rob and check it out too.

I agree, Rob! That what I'm trying to work out now!

Saweeet! How's it going?

turbovanman²
02-19-2011, 02:37 PM
It needs WAAAYYY more than floors. I've seen junkyard rollers that needed less work. :(

Yeah, still, bummer, :(

Will Martin had a rust free Rampage at my shop and no one wanted it, :(

RoadWarrior222
02-19-2011, 06:23 PM
'coz you really have to TRY to get something rusty on the left coast, you oughta collect 'em all up and send 'em this way by CPR or something once a year.

ShadowFromHell
02-19-2011, 09:24 PM
'coz you really have to TRY to get something rusty on the left coast, you oughta collect 'em all up and send 'em this way by CPR or something once a year.

I couldnt tell you how many rust free cars I have sent to the crusher over the years. Rust just flat doesnt exist here unless someone brought a car in from back east or the beach.

Reeves
02-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Yesterday work:

fleckster
02-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Ah what could have been!

RoadWarrior222
02-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Those pics make it look like a good 100ft car..... if you're a hundred feet away and still running it's all good. ;)

Guess fire removed paint, then storage conditions let damp have it's turn.

fleckster
02-20-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm sure the fire and resulting water and sitting did damage but considering the lousy patch work that was done, it was well rusted and screwed before it lit up in the fire.

turbovanman²
02-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Hope you didn't pay too much for it. :(

87DaytonaPac
02-20-2011, 06:53 PM
I think it's still salvageable. At least when they are this bad you are freed from trying to keep it pretty. Strip it, sandblast it, put it on a rotisserie and start welding. There's plenty still there to work with. Who cares what it looks like it just has to be strong.

I just put a floor pan , frame section and roof patch on my 82 'Page. The car is destined to be a beater/test bed so I didn't bother with making it pretty. Although it's 100% solid, it actually looks worse than when I found it just outside the pearly gates of its final resting place.

After sandblasting it (rented the same rig they use to sandblast bridge beams with), I ended up cutting out the front half of the exhaust tunnel and the remainder of the pside floor as they were very thin and full of small holes.
http://www.personal.psu.edu/pbk105//Tan_Rampage/82_Rampage_Rotisserie_2.jpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/pbk105//Tan_Rampage/82_Rampage_Rotisserie_4.jpg

And all done (hideous but solid): :thumb:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/pbk105//Tan_Rampage/82_Rampage_4.jpg

87DaytonaPac
02-20-2011, 07:10 PM
BTW - Just to add, whenever someone peels back the carpets on these cars, the first response is massive regret. However, once the bad stuff is cut out, and even though you end up with chunks of the car gone, you start to see right away that patching it together won't be so bad. These cars have nothing fancy about their metal work. It's pretty straight forward actually.

contraption22
02-21-2011, 09:44 AM
What's so ugly about that?

And all done (hideous but solid): :thumb:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/pbk105//Tan_Rampage/82_Rampage_4.jpg

87DaytonaPac
02-21-2011, 10:53 PM
What's so ugly about that?

I know, right? Apparently some people find the mold on the roof and hood and the weird green moss like substance growing on the passenger door and fender objectionable. I think it adds character.

Omniboy
02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Fleckster...PM me your cell # Cory fellers has a rampage that he is doing nothing with that you may be interested in. I have a couple of pics of it on my cell

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

This was Cory Mcnairs old rampage with the roll bar in it

moparman76_69
02-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Is that the one that had the fire? That would kinda be funny all things considered.

R/T
02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Yesterday work:

Dammmm, what does Fleck pay for that much work?????

RoadWarrior222
02-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Just a Chryco internal technical memo here and there, which Reeves flogs to FAW in China for beer vouchers...

... just kidding.

BIGBRUDDA
02-24-2011, 01:23 PM
29217292252922429223292222922129220292192921829216 29226HOLD THE PRESSES!! This just in! Fleck i found a rampage at a repair lot today. Talked tothe propriator and got the scoop and a phone number. took some pics . I got as far unner it as an ol man can. Have your people call my people!:thumb: Picture #5 is upside down, thats the pass rocker.

contraption22
02-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Is there enough of that blue/silver rampage to make the Scampi whole?

Reeves
02-24-2011, 01:52 PM

You mean hole?

We need a hole remover.

RoadWarrior222
02-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Ummmm maybe, you can use the good sheetmetal in the roof and hood to patch the floors.... TBH looks like more of the same.

R/T
02-25-2011, 09:57 AM
I've seen that one around this side of town for a few years, never was able to get a close look at it.

Want.

jaysshelby
02-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Fleck, let me know what you plan to do with the scamp. If your gonna junk it I might be interested in it.

fleckster
03-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Jay, it looks like the current plan is to take off the good parts that are unique or that anyone would want then scrap what is left. If there is anything you want or need or if you want the shell after just let me know. I hoping the parts might help fund the purchase of another project! [Crosses fingers]

RoadWarrior222
03-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Cut the cab out with the seat rails and put it in the corner of your library, then you can dress up in a bride's attendant's uniform and sit in it while leafing through a book, and 'page while you page while you page.

jaysshelby
03-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Jay, it looks like the current plan is to take off the good parts that are unique or that anyone would want then scrap what is left. If there is anything you want or need or if you want the shell after just let me know. I hoping the parts might help fund the purchase of another project! [Crosses fingers]

OK, lets keep in touch about it.

fleckster
03-03-2011, 08:54 PM
OK, lets keep in touch about it.

Will do!

Reeves
03-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Jay and Fleck,

How about just selling Jay the complete car? Is this an option?

fleckster
03-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Yes, it is definitely an option! There are a couple minor things that I want off of it. I can get those and the rest of the car is available. I'm sure it wuld make it easier for you, James, and get it out of your way.

Johnny
03-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Why dont you guys come and get the 5 Rampages I found here..they are cheap and no rust compared to those.
Too long of drive, but a lot easier to fix up in the long run.

Johnny

RoadWarrior222
03-08-2011, 11:01 PM
You can buy his CV, go to uhaul get a hitch, aquire a tow dolly and in 2 months time, regale us with tales of your adventures lost in the rockies.

fleckster
03-09-2011, 12:57 AM
Why dont you guys come and get the 5 Rampages I found here..they are cheap and no rust compared to those.
Too long of drive, but a lot easier to fix up in the long run.

Johnny

Johnny,

I'm in the process of working a deal, determining logistics, and gathering the funds to purchase the turbo conversion Rampage from Dustin (ShadowFromHell) in Washington state. I have determined that starting with a rust-free body is going to be much cheaper in the long run. The drawbacks being the obvious location/distance and the fact that it will be more expensive up front which means I have to get the money together now instead of paying as the project goes. There is a bit of a time constraint in that they want to sell the car now, I have to work out the transport/drive in a timely manner for those involved, and of course having cash now. The other catch is that I can't just get in my car and drive over and check the car out myself. It's 2100+ miles away and I have to rely on Dustin to explain the history and the condition of the car and his pictures to best see details. I don't have any doubt of his word and trust him but there can be communication mix ups and things that he or I foget to ask or check on that I might see or remember if I was there in person. Just as an aside and in no way, shape or form, but as an example of something that could be wrong: in all the pictures and info on the car, there are no pictures of the passenger front of the car. It could have no paint, large dents, etc. but I can't say. I don't believe there to be any issues but there is no absolutes in purchasing a vehicle over distance. Do I wish there was someone else who could also go and check it out for me? Yes, but I don't know of anyone local. Dustin has been a very honest and good person to work with on this. It was even his idea to have a "mini-contact" to work out how the terms of a deposit will go to project him and his dad as well as me in the event that I decide to not buy for whatever reason or they have someone else maybe who walks up with a huge wad of cash tomorrow, and how long they will wait for me to work out details, etc. I like the idea. It again speaks toward his character and honesty.

Reeves
03-09-2011, 10:11 AM
The other catch is that I can't just get in my car and drive over and check the car out myself.

Looking at the pictures in the beginning of this thread, I'm not sure if you going to see it first matters so much or not......:yuck:

Ooooohh......

:p

fleckster
03-09-2011, 11:03 AM
I deserve that! This is why I brought up my Scamp and seriously questioning the conditionof the car and wishing for another local Forum member to check it out as a second opinion!

RoadWarrior222
03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Sometimes you just get excited about a car you want and it's like beer googles... then you sober up a few days later and... :banghead:

Reeves
03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Sometimes you just get excited about a car you want and it's like beer googles... then you sober up a few days later and... :banghead:

That's a good way to put it! I know exactly what you mean!

Clay
04-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Tag!!

83rampage
04-28-2011, 07:38 PM
http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/charger.html

Charger quarter panels!

79 87 Dodge Charger/Shelby 236-50FL LH QUARTER PNL SKIN 2 DR NO GAS HOLE OMNI/HORIZON/CHARGER/TURISMO/RAMPAGE 79-87 123.00
79 87 Dodge Charger/Shelby 236-50FR RH QUARTER PNL SKIN 2 DR NO GAS HOLE OMNI/HORIZON/CHARGER/TURISMO/RAMPAGE 79-87 123.00

Possible 90 Horizon floor pans I found from the *other* site…..although a quick search didn’t show up:

Just thought I would give a heads up on this.

I was very interested to find out that there was a possibility of new repair 1/4 panels for the rampage/horizon L bodies.

I did try to contact these guys, and the best I got was a message from someone who didn't think they had new, but rather could find me clean used.

Since then I have talked to a local company specializing in resto parts, who said Showcars are an extremely poor company to deal with. This is backed up by numerous complaints posted on the internet.

The internet comments are one thing, but when a respected local company says stay away, that means something to me.

So if you decide to go down this road, be forewarned.

Nemesismachine
06-20-2011, 01:02 PM
http://www.jcwhitney.com/repair-panels/dodge-rampage/c15280d478j1s21.jcwx

?

contraption22
06-20-2011, 01:12 PM
http://www.jcwhitney.com/repair-panels/dodge-rampage/c15280d478j1s21.jcwx

?

That's a generic landing page. None of those products are actually for a Rampage.