PDA

View Full Version : What exactly will I need - Gaskets.

85_600
07-02-2006, 11:30 PM
I'll be digging into my 600's engine soon and I'm still looking to save a few $$ here and there :o It's not because I'm cheap but financialy sort of strapped :(

So, if someone could list out what gaskets I'll *need* I'd GREATLY appreciate it.

Basically, I'm taking the valve cover, head and oil pan off to pull the pistons out. I'm also probably removing the timing belt cover as well.

If you need to know anything else to make the list just ask.

I know FWD-P has the tear down kit but I'd like to know if I can buy just the gaskets I need and save a few dollars from the teardown kit. I have alist of other items to buy from FWD-P so I'm not jipping them out, just looking to save a few $$.

Thanks!
Paul

P.S. I know I'll need a 005 HG, so besides that, that's what I'm looking for.:)

cordes
07-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Oil pan and VC gasket should do it. You will need some RTV since it is probably the two piece VC gasket in there. throw out the cork they include in it.

85_600
07-03-2006, 01:51 AM
Oil pan and VC gasket should do it. You will need some RTV since it is probably the two piece VC gasket in there. throw out the cork they include in it.

So, HG, VC gasket and oil pan gasket? Or, are these including the teardown kit as well?

Oh, I do have a one piece VC. Can that be used on the 287 head?

Thanks!
Paul

yogurt_slinger
07-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Oh, I do have a one piece VC. Can that be used on the 287 head?

LOLOLOL!!!! :lol: OH Paul Paul Paul.... No, the older valvecovers have a *2-piece* gasket and the 89 and up have a *one piece* gasket....

Lemme check and see what I have, I might have a cheap engine gasket kit laying around you can have... I'll check.

Bryan

85_600
07-03-2006, 05:44 PM
So, again, I DON'T have a newer style VC, from you. That was an older one you gave me with the 600?

85_600
07-03-2006, 05:50 PM
THIS:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/Valve_Cover_2.jpg

Is what I was talking about. I got this VC from 5 spd mini. Nice guy! :thumb:

yogurt_slinger
07-03-2006, 07:10 PM
AHHH... that is a one piece common block valve conver.... I gave you that? I don't remember.. I got rid of allot of 8v stuff.. hell I still have a polished valvecover kicking around...:o

Clay
07-03-2006, 07:31 PM
as long as your not taking the intake/exhaust manifolds off, you should be good with just the VC, HG, and oil pan gasket.

clay

85_600
07-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Yea, the intake and exhaust are coming off. I have the FWD-P teardown kit in my shopping cart at FWD but I'd like to see if I really need all the gaskets in it or if I could piece them together and not spend over what FWD sells it for.

So far I have on my list:

005 HG
1 Piece VC Gasket
Intake Gasket
Exhaust Gasket
Oil Pan Gasket
TB Gasket x2 (I'm removing the EGR soon so I need 2 - I think)

Aren't there some sort of end caps for the cam that I need? I saw them listed at FWD but I'm unsure if I need them or not.

Thanks!
Paul

cordes
07-03-2006, 11:13 PM
You will not need the cam seals, as you should not need to pull the cam.

You probably won't need a TB gasket either unless yours is so brittle that it crumbles.

The intake/exhaust manifold gasket is actually one piece, and you wil need it if you pull the manifolds.

Turbo_Rampage
07-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Are you pulling the motor? If so you should replace the rear main and the torque converter seal as well. If you are removing the cam for any reason you should also replace the front and rear cam seals.

Hope this helps

85_600
07-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Cordes/Turbo Rampage:

Both of your inputs are extremely helpful. I forgot that the intake and exhaust was one piece when I typed that out.:o

The TB - I have to remove it to do the EGR block off and I wasn't too sure if I'd need to remove it again when I pull the head.

The engine is staying in the car. I'm hoping for luck here on the mileage being only 46k that I won't have to mess with any other seals/gaskets.:)

cordes
07-03-2006, 11:29 PM
In my experience the TB gasket is not some thing that needs to be replaced every time you remove it. Only when they are super old and brittle.