PDA

View Full Version : Strut ?

Lee'sdaytona
07-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Hey everyone
On my new turbo mini that has been sitting for the past 9 months, When I jack the front end up, the struts make a loud noise as they drop. They don't nicely fall down like they should. The one side, if I let the van down easy, the strut doesn't compress. I have to jack it up about 4 inches and drop the van to get the strut to compress. After that, it bounces nicely. My ? is, can I run the van like this with a half decent ride for a little? I just want it to get me to Carlistle, than I'll have time to put new struts in
thanks,
Lee

TurboJerry
07-04-2006, 03:11 AM
Sounds like it needs to be driven. Sometimes they stick a little when sitting for a while. See how it drives..........

Lee'sdaytona
07-04-2006, 11:58 AM
yeah....Hopefully they will come alive again! Now I'm pissed. Motor Vehicle in New Jersey is closed until further notice, due to some budget issues in the state. It better re-open before friday so I can get the van registered and on the road!
-Lee

5sp. mini
07-04-2006, 04:36 PM
might have had some rust on the shafts from sitting around / they might start leaking now have to drive to see. time to lower it ? als hope you have it there. als.

Lee'sdaytona
07-04-2006, 08:13 PM
well yeah I thought about lowering it. I have daytona struts that are fairly new, but the caravan has beefy tires and I like the stock higher look. I just need these struts to get me to carlistle and back and I'll be happy. Than I'll treat it to new struts.
-Lee

5sp. mini
07-04-2006, 08:49 PM
spray alittle wd40 on the shaft lol might lube them up alittle. als

TurboJerry
07-06-2006, 01:36 AM
Oppps, forgot about rust issues...... WD40 is a good ideal. I was refering to the bushing inside the strut though. The oil goes away from it, and when driven the oil sloshes up there again, smoothing out once again. I haven't seen any damage from this. The bushing is bronze, so no galling if its dry for a short time.....

5sp. mini
07-06-2006, 10:39 PM
wait till you see mine then you can deside what hieght you want. als

Lee'sdaytona
07-06-2006, 10:51 PM
wait till you see mine then you can deside what hieght you want. als
haha yeah really. Not looking good though. Tomorrow the head is going on and I could easily get er running if all goes well, but the stupid Motor Vehicle in NJ has been closed with this budget issue:mad:
-Lee