PDA

View Full Version : 87 CSX Stage 2 PCM?

Opticon
02-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Alright, I picked up the 85 Omni GLHT with a TII conversion already done (from an 87 CSX). The P/N on the in-car logic module references an 87 Mopar stage 2 calibration. What are the supporting mods I am supposed to have with this calibration?

Current equipment is a stock TII garrett, stock fuel pressure regulator, +20 injectors, and the factory wastegate solenoid (no diodes or bleeds). Breather mods are a 52mm TB and a 3" exhaust from the downpipe back.

If you can... let me know what kind of boost I should be seeing, how the A/F ratios will behave, and if I should be adjusting fuel. Making this less of a mystery for me as I get the car on the road this week.

Thanks. :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
02-07-2011, 02:39 PM
The S-II LM (Logic Module) will run 15psi unaltered. Your +20% (42pph) injectors are more than enough for that as it was designed to run with +13%'s (36pph).

What's in it for a fuel system? The 85 two pump setup or ??? As you get it on the road take it easy on the boost at first untill you watch you A/F and make sure its good. S-II T-II Omni's are fun!

Opticon
02-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Modded to a one pump setup with a Walbro. When you say the +20s are more than enough are you suggesting I might need to drop the fuel pressure to keep from running rich (or does the cal adjust)? The reason I ask is because I actually removed a leaking AFPR and replaced it with the stock regulator I had laying around not know if I'd actually needed the adjustability.

BadAssPerformance
02-07-2011, 02:49 PM
87 LM, the cal adjust when cruising but not at idle or WOT... which is good at WOT (plenty of fuel) but can be bad at idle (too much fuel) but usually is not an issue unless its cold. My S-II LM/+20% T2 shadow has an adjustable reg set to stock fuel pressure, LOL. I'd just get it running on tstock FP and see how it runs

DodgeZ
02-07-2011, 02:52 PM
87 LM, the cal adjust when cruising but not at idle or WOT... which is good at WOT (plenty of fuel) but can be bad at idle (too much fuel) but usually is not an issue unless its cold. My S-II LM/+20% T2 shadow has an adjustable reg set to stock fuel pressure, LOL. I'd just get it running on tstock FP and see how it runs

It doesn't adjust fuel at idle???

Opticon
02-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks man, that helps a lot. And explains why the car was rich as hell when I started it in cold weather (also in a default map because I have TPS trouble).

Oh, and for future reference... how far dare I "alter" the boost levels with +20s on this stock regulator? I will be using a wideband during any tuning, I'm just wondering what kind of increase the larger injectors can afford me.

risen
02-07-2011, 06:38 PM

I'm not 100% sure what JT means, but I think it's that the idle cells may not have enough adjustment to pull all the fuel via the adaptives. The cal itself should be capable of adjusting it's fueling, it's just that it probably bumps into the limits set about how much can be removed or added in the idle cells. This is just a guess, though.

Thanks man, that helps a lot. And explains why the car was rich as hell when I started it in cold weather (also in a default map because I have TPS trouble).

Oh, and for future reference... how far dare I "alter" the boost levels with +20s on this stock regulator? I will be using a wideband during any tuning, I'm just wondering what kind of increase the larger injectors can afford me.

I've put 20 psi of boost into the engine with a factory regulator but the rest of my cal was adjusted to handle the boost level (3 bar map) and the +40's I have. The factory regulator isn't a problem if the cal is setup properly. I'd say either read up over in the calibration section and adjust the cal to match your injectors, or have someone create you a cal that matches them. There isn't anything that special about the CSX S2 cal that can't be put into another cal that matches your setup better.

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2011, 06:41 PM
You might need an AFPR to lower the fuel pressure if you notice your WB or NB air fuel guages are rich all the time or your MPG sucks.

From what I've seen guys do with it, if you have the proper fuel and enough at WOT, 20+ psi is no problem.

cordes
02-07-2011, 07:10 PM
The 87' CSX and GLHS stg II LMs do pretty well running +20s at the stock FP, but the gas mileage isn't too stellar as mentioned. +1 for checking out the calibrations section.

IIRC Jon Trotter ran a 14.18 in his 87' S at SDAC this year with a stock CSX stg. II LM and no other mods.

BadAssPerformance
02-07-2011, 08:15 PM

I'm not 100% sure what JT means, but I think it's that the idle cells may not have enough adjustment to pull all the fuel via the adaptives. The cal itself should be capable of adjusting it's fueling, it's just that it probably bumps into the limits set about how much can be removed or added in the idle cells. This is just a guess, though.

I am not sure what the cal does but yes this is what I mean, if you sit in traffic (Chicago traffic) it will load up like an old chebby with too much carb... other than that it runs great, best cal ever :)

The 87' CSX and GLHS stg II LMs do pretty well running +20s at the stock FP, but the gas mileage isn't too stellar as mentioned. +1 for checking out the calibrations section.

IIRC Jon Trotter ran a 14.18 in his 87' S at SDAC this year with a stock CSX stg. II LM and no other mods.

Checked the "Times" page:

87 GLHS #937 2.2L T-II A525 (3.56:1) 215-40-17 Toyo Radials Jon Trotter (minigts) 14.50 @ 96.97

cordes
02-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I am not sure what the cal does but yes this is what I mean, if you sit in traffic (Chicago traffic) it will load up like an old chebby with too much carb... other than that it runs great, best cal ever :)

Checked the "Times" page:

Thanks JT. I wonder if that was his other car which I was thinking of.

BadAssPerformance
02-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Yeah he went 14.14 in the 85 on gym shoes...

cordes
02-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah he went 14.14 in the 85 on gym shoes...

Thanks. Not too far off, but with an entirely different vehicle.