PDA

View Full Version : Worm clamps on fuel hose = NO GOOD

tehdrizzle
02-06-2011, 10:35 AM
I started up the Shelby-Z last night and while checking for leaks noticed a little scent of fuel. I shut the car off immediately and noticed that the fuel return line had leaked some fuel and both the return line and pressure side had worm clamps on them. I just happened to have some fuel line clamps and swapped them in place of the worm clamps. No more leak now that I have the fuel line clamps in place :thumb:. Just wanted to offer this story as a word of advice to check your fuel lines if you have worm clamps on them.

Spr-T-23
02-06-2011, 10:54 AM
i replace both lines when i get my shadow, very rotten. ive had car fires before, not interested in another.

BadAssPerformance
02-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Glad you caught it before ti got worse or caught fire!

+1 for replacing fuel line with FI grade hose and FI clamps :nod:

tehdrizzle
02-06-2011, 11:14 AM
That's the first thing that went through my head when I started to smell the fuel.

BadAssPerformance
02-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Always trust your nose!

cordes
02-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Glad you caught it before ti got worse or caught fire!

+1 for replacing fuel line with FI grade hose and FI clamps :nod:

Agreed. In before those who say worm gear clamps are fine...

BadAssPerformance
02-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Agreed. In before those who say worm gear clamps are fine...

Don't rag on those with a worm gear torque meter... LOL

tehdrizzle
02-06-2011, 01:32 PM
The only thing I've used worm clamps on are PCV and the intake side of the turbo. Other than that T-bolt clamps and fuel clamps. I'd rather be overprotective rather than sorry.

Vigo
02-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Only worm gear clamp on a fuel line ive ever had fail in all the cars ive scrounged together, was a harbor freight worm gear clamp!

So my line is: No HARBOR FREIGHT worm gear clamps on fuel line!

GLHNSLHT2
02-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Oh don't trust those F.I. clamps either. I put brand new hose and clamps on my tona. All the right size and type from NAPA. Less than a year Later I took my tona from Spokane Wa to SoCal. About 1:30am Saturday Morning I was out in the flats between Sacremento and the Grapevine trying to keep alert in that boring section of road when coming up behind was a set of blue-ish headlights. I thought "Oh cool something to play with, that'll keep me awake" Up pulls a very very nice Datsun 510. I goosed it a bit just to see if he'd go. He d'shifts a couple gears and floors it. I roll on it in 5th and start pulling away (poor guy has no boost). I glanced at my a/f gauge (stupid NB) and it's reading Stoich. WTF?!?! I back out of it and roll on it again. Soon as boost hits it goes stoich. Ok well the 510 is a ways back and I'm awake now so I just keep on rolling at 75. The big 2.5 didn't need boost to go up the grapevine in 5th at that speed :) I get to my dad's about 6:30 and sleep in the car in the driveway till he knocks on the window in the morning. Anyway I'm showing him the car and as it's idling he looks down and asks if "this is supposed to be leaking" The freakin FEED LINE was leaking at the fuel rail!!! The hose had shrunk and the clamp didn't. It was probably spraying all over a red hot exhaust and turbo earlier that morning. How I didn't burn the car to the ground is beyond me. Thankfully I was able to cut the end of the hose off and re-do the clamp to a section of hose that hadn't shrunk. It's nothing but AN lines for me from now on.

iTurbo
02-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I've had them start to leak, even when they on newer install. Every time it has happened to me it was when it was VERY cold out. I think the F.I. rubber fuel line shrunk a bit due to the cold and the F.I. clamp lost a little grip. Just tighten it up a bit more when it's cold like that and all was well again.

EDIT: Worm gear clamps on high pressure fuel line is just a bad idea. Every time you tighten them down the serrated clamp damages the hose too. Bad advice to say they are OK imo.

BadAssPerformance
02-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Good point on using good quality hose, glad you didnt burn the car down!

cordes
02-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Don't rag on those with a worm gear torque meter... LOL

As you can see, there is more than one guy around here with one of those.

Vigo
02-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Oh don't trust those F.I. clamps either. I put brand new hose and clamps on my tona. All the right size and type from NAPA. Less than a year Later I took my tona from Spokane Wa to SoCal. About 1:30am Saturday Morning I was out in the flats between Sacremento and the Grapevine trying to keep alert in that boring section of road when coming up behind was a set of blue-ish headlights. I thought "Oh cool something to play with, that'll keep me awake" Up pulls a very very nice Datsun 510. I goosed it a bit just to see if he'd go. He d'shifts a couple gears and floors it. I roll on it in 5th and start pulling away (poor guy has no boost). I glanced at my a/f gauge (stupid NB) and it's reading Stoich. WTF?!?! I back out of it and roll on it again. Soon as boost hits it goes stoich. Ok well the 510 is a ways back and I'm awake now so I just keep on rolling at 75. The big 2.5 didn't need boost to go up the grapevine in 5th at that speed I get to my dad's about 6:30 and sleep in the car in the driveway till he knocks on the window in the morning. Anyway I'm showing him the car and as it's idling he looks down and asks if "this is supposed to be leaking" The freakin FEED LINE was leaking at the fuel rail!!! The hose had shrunk and the clamp didn't. It was probably spraying all over a red hot exhaust and turbo earlier that morning. How I didn't burn the car to the ground is beyond me. Thankfully I was able to cut the end of the hose off and re-do the clamp to a section of hose that hadn't shrunk. It's nothing but AN lines for me from now on.

I wasnt going to say anything but your story bring up the major point that a lot of what people blame on clamps is actually the hose changing size.

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2011, 03:06 PM
My torque meter is calibrated, :p but whatever, to each their own, use whatever you feel is right, that's why its called "choice".

Spr-T-23
02-07-2011, 05:38 PM
when in doubt, double clamp it

ShadowFromHell
02-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Ive used both, and never had a problem with the clamps themselves. I dont think you need a "TQ meter" to use the worm gear clamps just some common sense on what is too tight :p. That said, anytime you get a new to you TM, you should change the fuel hoses. They always seem to be in bad shape.

johnl
02-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Ditto on the hose shrikage.

I've noticed that some types of FI hose that do NOT have visible reinforcing cord under the surface are the ones that shrink. This type of hose seems to rely on on a single layer of reinforcement that is wrapped deep, immediately around, the silicone inner tube.

No problems with the FI hose that has visible cord under the outer surface.

Also, I've had the problem of the correct FI clamp, the hose shrinks, now the clamp won't close any tighter. Smelling gas, away from home, I wrapped a couple layers of vinyl tape around the shrunk part of the hose and re-clamped it.

GLHNSLHT2
02-07-2011, 10:55 PM
I wasnt going to say anything but your story bring up the major point that a lot of what people blame on clamps is actually the hose changing size.

exactly what happened. Hose shrunk.

I've noticed that some types of FI hose that do NOT have visible reinforcing cord under the surface are the ones that shrink. This type of hose seems to rely on on a single layer of reinforcement that is wrapped deep, immediately around, the silicone inner tube.

Also, I've had the problem of the correct FI clamp, the hose shrinks, now the clamp won't close any tighter. Smelling gas, away from home, I wrapped a couple layers of vinyl tape around the shrunk part of the hose and re-clamped it.

I'll have to look at the hose, I think it's still attached to the old stock fuel rail sitting on the shelf.

iTurbo
02-08-2011, 01:43 AM

I have had this happen to me as well. As far as I could tell, it was the cheapo "Ideal" brand FI hose clamps I got at Checker Auto. I buy FI hose clamps at NAPA now and don't have any problem with those.

GLHNSLHT2
02-08-2011, 01:53 AM
All the new hose and clamps I've had have been from NAPA including the one that shrunk on me. Just keep an eye on it. I won't run them anymore. The AN lines are more expensive but the safety and ease of use I get from them makes it all worth it.

Vigo
02-08-2011, 02:25 AM
To the right person, piece of mind is worth a lot of dollars. I'm a hardcore cheap---- when it comes to my k-cars, but you cant argue with 'do it once, do it right' if you're talking fuel lines.

johnl
02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I have had this happen to me as well. As far as I could tell, it was the cheapo "Ideal" brand FI hose clamps I got at Checker Auto. I buy FI hose clamps at NAPA now and don't have any problem with those.

Good point Jeremy, it could be a design defect in the clamps, or at least a design argument. That is, I can speculate that one school holds that overtightening a FI clamp is to be avoided and so building a "stop" into the clamp is a good thing, assuming of course, the use of a type of FI hose that doesn't shrink.

ShadowFromHell
02-08-2011, 05:23 PM
From what I am reading here, the fuel line shrinks and that's what causes the problem. If that's the case, why would it matter what kind of clamp you use? Not defending one way or the other, just wanting to read a good discussion. :)

iTurbo
02-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Well the worm gear clamps might 'work' but my biggest issue with them is the serrations in the band will cut into the hose when it's tightened. After it's tightened down a few times it gets to be pretty ragged and will deteriorate that much faster.

turbovanmanČ
02-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Well the worm gear clamps might 'work' but my biggest issue with them is the serrations in the band will cut into the hose when it's tightened. After it's tightened down a few times it gets to be pretty ragged and will deteriorate that much faster.

Sure, if your constantly taking the hose on and off. I'll post pics of my clamps, with the proper fuel hose, this should get a few people going, lol. Engine ones have been on for 8 years, fuel pump and filter, 5 years or longer, but silly me, guess I should have used FI clamps, :banghead: :p

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/Canoncamerapics145.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/IMAG0020.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/Sonywork127.jpg

Big_P
02-08-2011, 07:53 PM
+1 to worm gear clamps on fuel line not being a big deal.

ShadowFromHell
02-08-2011, 10:31 PM
+1 to worm gear clamps on fuel line not being a big deal.
When I do use the worm clamp style, which I have many times before I try to use the wide ones like TVM is using. NOT the super narrow ones. Ive never had one fail.

stargazer7467
02-08-2011, 11:34 PM
http://tjlongdana.com/wp-content/uploads/hoseclamps.jpg

constane tension hose clamps! I know everyone hates them but they are OEM now for a reason, dont matter if your hose shrinks or whatever happens. And will never cut into your hose.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/109381938/Constant_Tension_Hose_Clamp.jpg

also these if you must continue to complain about the 1st style lol.

but i know i know my pappy said and hes been a mechanic for 20 years, yeah 20 years, 20 years ago :).

iTurbo
02-08-2011, 11:36 PM
I've gotten the clamps with the sleeve inside like pictured above for my turbo oil return tube at NAPA. Didn't think you could get them that small for fuel lines.

GLHNSLHT2
02-09-2011, 12:22 AM
I HATE CONSTANT TENSION hose clamps. Had to deal with them tonight replacing a rad hose on my g/f's libby. Had to use channel locks and you've got to have plenty of clearance.

Aries_Turbo
02-09-2011, 10:00 AM
if you are still using 5/16" line, go to the JY and rob all the STAINLESS high quality EFI clamps off of subarus.

I think i counted 10-12 clamps on one car the one day.

they use a CRAPLOAD of those clamps cause everything under the hood (at least on a late 90's, early 2000's car) is hose and clamp.

they tighten with a phillips screwdriver and i havent broken one yet.

the cheap napa ones strip out all the time cause the nuts and bolts are JUNK. honestly, i trust a 25year old factory efi clamp more than a new one from napa (insert any parts store really) cause the nuts and bolts are such crap.

i do have a few that i drilled out the nut and used a separate stainless nut and bolt and that seems to work well.

easiest and cheapest though is the subaru ones from the JY.

for the return line, i either use worm gear or the parts store efi cause the subies are for 5/16" line, not 1/4".

as for hose shrinkage, i just tighten them every once in a while.

Brian

ShadowFromHell
02-09-2011, 02:30 PM
I HATE CONSTANT TENSION hose clamps. Had to deal with them tonight replacing a rad hose on my g/f's libby. Had to use channel locks and you've got to have plenty of clearance.

They make a tool for that.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=hose+clamp+tool&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7586600535877758642&ei=M91STZOiKYTmsQPC94jWBg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQ8wIwAA#

johnl
02-09-2011, 04:20 PM
The shrikage of the hose is a problem because the EFI clamps are designed with a "stop" in them that prevents overtightening. When the hose shrinks, well, the clamps won't close any smaller because they've hit the "stop."

Aries_Turbo
02-09-2011, 04:22 PM
i dont think those subaru ones i have, have the stop. they allow some more tightening.

Brian

RoadWarrior222
02-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Only worm gear clamp on a fuel line ive ever had fail in all the cars ive scrounged together, was a harbor freight worm gear clamp!

So my line is: No HARBOR FREIGHT worm gear clamps on fuel line!

Heh, yeah, I went from 20 for a buck clamps to 50c SS ones, haven't had to replace one in 5 years plus.

135sohc
02-09-2011, 05:11 PM
No shrinkage issues encountered when using a good brand name hose (Gates) and equally brand name EFI hose clamps (Ideal) that are actually properly sized to the corresponding hose they say to use them on.

glhs571
04-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Just wondering what part store you bought the F.I. line with visible cord at?

dodgeman87
04-29-2011, 12:12 AM
I've used Goodyear fuel injection hose with J30R9 and it's awesome. Has a blue inner liner that makes putting on and taking off the hose real easy. And yes it did shrink when it got very cold out and starting leaking a little. So I tightened up it a little and installed a second F.I. clamp for safety.

Force Fed Mopar
04-29-2011, 09:24 AM
That said, anytime you get a new to you TM, you should change the fuel hoses. They always seem to be in bad shape.

x1000 on this :nod:

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

I've used Goodyear fuel injection hose with J30R9 and it's awesome. Has a blue inner liner that makes putting on and taking off the hose real easy. And yes it did shrink when it got very cold out and starting leaking a little. So I tightened up it a little and installed a second F.I. clamp for safety.

I have the same EFI hose on mine, been on there for over a year w/ new EFI clamps from Auto Zone, never had an issue over the winter. I tighten the clamps all the way up to start with, you have to make sure you have the right size clamp.