PDA

View Full Version : L body trans horror

deuce dodge
07-02-2006, 04:42 PM
ok the struggle is a a520 into 87 sc.............

i have done at least 5 trannys in l bodys......

never enjoyed one :(

someone (KEN ?) mentioned pulling the snout ?stub off tranny for ease of install........

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

is this easy to put back on once its installed?

use black rtv on seal?

this is for my t2/t3 clutch upgrade....so i need quick and easy ...car is on stands and tranny is ready to go on......

help:yuck:

deuce

iTurbo
07-02-2006, 04:46 PM
I once pulled an A525 out of a Charger in the junkyard. Didn't pull the K-frame or the axle tailshaft and it was a nightmare getting it out the bottom. It's so much easier to pull the engine out and attach the trans and then drop everything as an assembly through the top.

GLHSKEN
07-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Yes, EASY to get in once in the car. Use black RTV.

Make some guide pins...

deuce dodge
07-02-2006, 09:16 PM
thanks KEN ............lol rookie trouble :) have fresh clean homemade guide pins ive used before......it was 88 degrees in the garage and i said enough fun for the night.....i pulled tranny by myself and it would be sweet to put it back together by myself.........a challenge...:)

and i have done the "pull the whole motor/trans routine........just didnt feel like doing it that way.....i mean if i overpower this new clutch it comes out in a few weeks........

deuce

GLHSKEN
07-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Another tip...

Jack the engine up using the oil pan and wood block approx 1/2-1" and pull it forward slightly.

They will sit in the bay with just the 2 mounts but will settle down and back... This makes the K frame really come into play...

Duece... 94 in my garage yesterday. Thankful I was only cleaning it

mcsvt
07-03-2006, 09:02 AM
^^^ That was one of the tips that worked well for me with the guide pins. But I was working on a Daytona, supposedly has more room, but sure didn't seem like it.

deuce dodge
07-03-2006, 09:08 AM
sweet 94 degrees..........thats what i put up with turning wrenchs last year in my garage..........and those temps make the pik n pays feel like a sauna....

why 88 degree's makes me want to throw on a jacket :)

gonna jack up that motor...........doh..................

deuce

GLHSKEN
07-03-2006, 09:25 AM
^^^ That was one of the tips that worked well for me with the guide pins. But I was working on a Daytona, supposedly has more room, but sure didn't seem like it.

More room behind the intake and between the block and rad support. The geometry is the same due to the same drivetrain, so the K frame issue is the same (pretty much) for all models.

That jack and slight move forward REALLY help. Tail shaft housing off...

mcsvt
07-03-2006, 09:31 AM
AH ok, I understand now :thumb:

GLHSKEN
07-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Everytime I do a trans, I seem to learn something new... And I've done a few

Captain Chaos
07-03-2006, 02:38 PM
I've yet to do the tranny in my "L" however with the stock carb 525 I've been told the time is coming soon. Ken, you say pull the motor forward; towards the radiator? Leaving the pass and under radiator mounts attached? The guide pins, do you put those in the top two bellhousing bolt holes to align the motor and tranny together?

mcsvt
07-03-2006, 03:20 PM
If you put the block and jack under the oil pan, the engine should tilt forward into the area it should be in. For guide pins, I took one of the trans bolts(forget the size off hand) bought two bolts from the store that were a little longer then cut the heads off and added a slot for a screwdriver. Threaded them into the top two holes. Then from underneath once the trans was in the vacinity I could essentially "hump" the trans up onto the pins. Once on the pins it was cake.

Fun times :thumb:

GLHSKEN
07-03-2006, 03:44 PM
I've yet to do the tranny in my "L" however with the stock carb 525 I've been told the time is coming soon. Ken, you say pull the motor forward; towards the radiator? Leaving the pass and under radiator mounts attached? The guide pins, do you put those in the top two bellhousing bolt holes to align the motor and tranny together?

Just slightly, As MC said, Top 2 block bolts for the pins.

Yes, Leave the pass and rad support mounts attached. As you jack it up, it will move forward towards the rad support by itself.

GLHS592
07-03-2006, 09:38 PM
It's so much easier to pull the engine out and attach the trans and then drop everything as an assembly through the top.

I agree. If you ever have had a transaxle that won't let go from the engine, you'll wish you did pull them out first. Getting everything to line up properly while under the car with the tranny is frustrating. I've done it both ways and the comeplete assembly through the top is the easiest.

deuce dodge
07-11-2006, 07:03 PM
ahaaaaaaaaa.!!!!!!!!!!!

pulling tail shaft was the ticket......also jacked up motor........but the tail shaft gone made it a breeze.......i will do it that way again..........ooops is that bad luck??? :)

and 200+ miles on new clutch and it works sweet......

now to hit 18 psi and let that motor talk.......

biggest thanks to KEN..........:)

deuce

rbryant
07-11-2006, 08:50 PM
I pulled one at the junkyard over the weekend and it was 112 (phoenix,az) out so I have you all beat... It was so hot in the sun that I couldn't touch most of my tools without dropping them in pain. I drank over a gallon of water, etc.

I always lower the car down until the engine/tranny sits on a moving dolly then unbolt, jack the car up and it roll the engine/tranny in/out on my car.

The process is pretty quick if you don't count the time to put the accessories (alternator, pwr steering, ac) on/off. The chances of smashing a finger and/or dropping a tranny on your head are also greatly reduced. :)

The junkyard is a different story though since I don't have to put the tranny back in which is what I really hate to do so I just unbolt the frame and then drop only the tranny out. This saves time because you don't have to remove all of the accessories.

-Rich

The S is Silent
07-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Then from underneath once the trans was in the vacinity I could essentially "hump" the trans up onto the pins. Once on the pins it was cake.

Gary,

That has got to be one of the stranges mental images I have ever gotten while reading a post :lol:

Tony Hanna
07-11-2006, 10:26 PM
88, 94 degrees heck with that! I think I just found my next referigeration project. I'm gonna air condition my garage! Just gotta get the floors done in the house so I can move everything in. Right now it's a 2 car storage building.:mad:

tryingbe
07-12-2006, 12:51 AM
I pulled one at the junkyard over the weekend and it was 112 (phoenix,az) out so I have you all beat... It was so hot in the sun that I couldn't touch most of my tools without dropping them in pain. I drank over a gallon of water, etc.

Which tranny did you pull? I didn't see any TII cars lately.

rbryant
07-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Which tranny did you pull? I didn't see any TII cars lately.

Just a newer 523. I wanted the 3.77 ring and main for adding an OBX to my 568. That will bring my gearing up a little but not super high like the 3.50 gears would.

-Rich