PDA

View Full Version : A413 (31TH) dodge neon

NightMovesNeon
02-04-2011, 02:42 PM
hey everyone i have a 1998 dodge neon 4 door with a 2.0L DOHC. its an automatice and im looking to swap in the 2.4L and turbo it. what would i need to get to rebuild my 3 speed auto to handle the hp?

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2011, 03:04 PM
hey everyone i have a 1998 dodge neon 4 door with a 2.0L DOHC. its an automatice and im looking to swap in the 2.4L and turbo it. what would i need to get to rebuild my 3 speed auto to handle the hp?

A bit of work, what kind of HP are you looking at. I really need to get my build threads done.

BadAssPerformance
02-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Ever think of doing a 5-speed swap with it? :eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Ever think of doing a 5-speed swap with it? :eyebrows:

5 speeds suck, :p

BadAssPerformance
02-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Maybe for those that cant drive? ;)

NightMovesNeon
02-04-2011, 03:11 PM
im looking about 250-300. i dont want to 5 speed swap i already have a 5 speed project. its a 1983 ford Thunderbird turbo coupe all original right now. my grand father gave me it and hes owned it since 1984

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2011, 03:11 PM

Sure, if you want to think that, hehehe! :eyebrows:

BadAssPerformance
02-04-2011, 03:16 PM
im looking about 250-300. i dont want to 5 speed swap i already have a 5 speed project. its a 1983 ford Thunderbird turbo coupe all original right now. my grand father gave me it and hes owned it since 1984

Sounds like a nice bird project!

Shouldnt need too much help for the auto to hold 300.... how heavy of a car?

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Sure, if you want to think that, hehehe! :eyebrows:

I do :nod:

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2011, 03:26 PM

Give me a bit, I'll come up with it all, just need access to some info which got moved and can't get to it, :(

NightMovesNeon
02-04-2011, 05:18 PM
around 1,586 kg

capev86
02-24-2011, 03:11 AM
both auto and stick have their advantages.

a built automatic will run consistently on the drag circuit, gives you torque multiplication off the line which is good for towing and in general driving or heavy traffic is more convenient. an auto trans is also more forgiving in winter driving because of the fluid connection. on the flip side they make a LOT of heat and wear out quickly. synthetic atf and a big trans cooler will help with that. i have over 210k on the original trans in my 97 sable wagon thanks to a synthetic flush years ago.

a 5spd gives you both low end grunt and highway economy in one package (what you don't get with the 3 speed....gear it for one or the other or compromise). also, you can drop a manual trans down into passing gear or get the engine rpm in the sweet spot to pull out of corners. an auto will do good in a straight acceleration run. but slush boxes suck when it comes street racing situations (not that we do things like that). i will say that i tend to be a more "spirited" driver with a 5spd and more docile when driving an automatic equipped car.

i generally prefer a stick shift in a car, especially something small and sporty like a neon. my 72 suburban c20 has the original 3 on the tree manual and i will not put an auto in it like everyone else does. i have a 406sbc to go in for a very unique drivetrain. and my 87 ram 50 2wd is a 5spd. if that piece of junk 2.0 had an auto behind it, it would be even SLOWER than molasses. in contrast, my 86 k wagon is going to stay an automatic. but i'm going to build up a '91 unit i have with a lockup converter and 2.60 final drive so i can run it on the highway and push 150mph with my planned 2.5 T2 setup. i want to tow motorcycles with my k car and i don't want to change the seat and steering column. 6 passenger seating comes in handy at times. now, a floor auto on the other hand....total waste of space and that big ugly shifter makes me wish for a clutch pedal.

when i was younger, i chased my buddy in his 96 neon with my 91 dynasty 2.5 auto. i had the torque advantage, but he had more hp, less weight and a 5spd on his side. i kept up with him just fine flying down a 45mph road, darting around other cars. but when we slowed down to take a hard right on the on-ramp for the highway (route 95) he dropped it down and i lost him because i was already stuck in top gear. it was fun off the line and a nice car to drive, but a 5spd would have woken it up and he'd have had a much harder time putting distance between us.

my sister has a '99 cavalier 2 door with base 2.2 5spd (she got the car because she wanted to learn how to drive stick and still loves the car after 6 years). not even an ecotec motor and it moves. i know performance cars....i've driven an srt-4 several times. a stick shift is worth an extra second in 0-60 times in competent hands. even if you prefer autos, driving a stick is a skill everyone should know. just don't get me started about sport-shift autos and flappy paddle gearboxes!!!

shadow88
02-24-2011, 07:01 AM
I wouldn't do the 5 speed swap either. The gen 1 neon trans won't put up with the increased power for long. The srt-4 trans requires extensive k-frame mods, to the point that it is pretty hacked up once complete.

Dez
03-10-2011, 09:07 PM

^I am a fan of this, haha...