PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/Trans Comparo 532/568 vs 284

2.216VTurbo
07-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Some pics I took a while ago when I did the swap from the unbtainable for parts 284 to the 523/568 family for my 89 DOHC TC. Notice how much more compact the 284 is! Notice the larger clutch as well, stock PP has 1900lbs:) Both the discs shown are ClutchNet units so the side by side is pretty valid:thumb: I just couldn't get the 284 to be happy with that set up and I abandoned it after 150 or so miles:mad:

OK so I only had three trans/clutch shots, as long as I was using up space, here is my son Jagger with the possum we found a couple weeks ago in the yard. No he's not dead, he's playin Possum;)

mech1nxh
07-02-2006, 07:26 PM
what is the spline count , and shaft size on the 284??
and if I read the ruler correctly..284 has an 9 1/2 " disc ??
both flywheels are 11" ??
and wow the 284 is much more compact!!...never seen one!!
however a 3 rail with the diff incorperated into the case halves
would tend to be ,
also noob "Q" here ...is the 284 is the strongest of the FWD BOXES??

thx...

cordes
07-02-2006, 11:14 PM
IIRC the 284 would be the most stout of the transmisions in our cars, although the FD is said to be less than ideal. I forget what it is though.

Ondonti
09-22-2006, 03:42 AM
Would it be possible to run the TC flywheel and clutch setup in a 523 trans??......maybe with a little bit of massaging?

Then just get a custom disc that has the right imput shaft.......

2.216VTurbo
09-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Anthing is possible... I think the flywheel although larger would still clear the 523 bellhouse, it's a heavy mofo though. One of the problems with the 284 trans though is THERE ARE NO PARTS especially clutches:mad: I called all over to find the last PP left in the world, practically. That supplier said it had been on his shelf more than 5 years and he was glad to see it go:eyebrows: I'll slip that TC flywheel into a 523 after work and report back...

BTW I'll be in Seattle next week, Sep 26th thru 30th for a spine conference, any TD haps going on while I'm there??

Ondonti
09-23-2006, 09:52 PM
In in utah right now for school. Una is up in the seattle area....contact him if you dont hate him.

I was thinking that some clutch company's that actually build their own stuff could make that 284 PP setup.
It just looks like a better design to begin with. Less space wasted on the bolt down area and more clutch disc area squeezed in.

I was thinking this might help people who are looking for a stronger clutch.

Everyone seems to be having horrible problems with high torque TD clutches.