PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a Walker Super Turbo muffler?

turbovanmanČ
02-03-2011, 04:29 AM
Looking at muffler options to shut my exhaust up, I don't mind taking a hit in flow for the street driving portion as I don't need all the power on the street and I am getting a cutout for the track.

Right now, current setup is large body GM cat, Ultraflow muffler, small Magnaflow round muffler in the rear, 3" system with tail pipe in the stock location. Its not actually that bad right now but when I take out the cat for the cutout, its going to get loud and droney again, :( Barring the super turbo could be loud, I'll just use a generic 3 inch stock type muffler and that will shut it up for sure, lol.

Juggy
02-03-2011, 04:52 AM
50 mufflers and 100 cats isnt enuff already???? :p

nnaaaaa we need more backpressure!!! LOL

---------- Post added at 03:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 AM ----------

its a scrap mans gold mine! :lol:

Murphy
02-03-2011, 09:27 AM
the super turbo is awesome, not much louder than stock, but deeper. I would say its perfect for a street application

I have one in this vid on my 3.0 car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEBpOtkadis

contraption22
02-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Walker = Dynomax. They are as quiet as performance mufflers get.

PBODY
02-03-2011, 10:00 AM
I have the stock 2.5" dp, and resonator (gutted cat) on my Spirit (2.5 8v with a stock Garrett). I made my own 2.5" mandrel tail pipe with a cheapie 2.5" turbo muffler in the stock location. Looks stock. Sounds stock. No droan.

A.J.
02-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Hey Simon, is your tailpipe past the bumper? I noticed a hugh difference in drone by extending the tailpipe beyond the bumper. It worked in both my van and my Dad's T&C wagon. We both use the 3" mufflers TU sells.

A.J.

turbovanmanČ
02-03-2011, 02:20 PM
the super turbo is awesome, not much louder than stock, but deeper. I would say its perfect for a street application

I have one in this vid on my 3.0 car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEBpOtkadis

Interesting, we put one on my buddy's VW Fox years ago, it was pretty loud until we put a resonator tip on to soften the sound. That does sound nice and mellow but I do have a 3 speed 4 cylinder, :(

Walker = Dynomax. They are as quiet as performance mufflers get.

I know.

Hey Simon, is your tailpipe past the bumper? I noticed a hugh difference in drone by extending the tailpipe beyond the bumper. It worked in both my van and my Dad's T&C wagon. We both use the 3" mufflers TU sells.

A.J.

Yeah, I've tried different configs, this is the quietest by far.

440dart
02-03-2011, 02:33 PM
on my r/t i got two straight thru mufflers on, one long one in the center of the car and one short one right before the tip its pretty quiet i have an electric cutout on mine as well but mine seems to run better with it closed, i know people say the more open the better but ive found the opposite. My mufflers look like big glaspacks but no ripples on the inside just tiny little holes i got them out of summit really cheap mine is also 3in

turbovanmanČ
02-03-2011, 03:01 PM
on my r/t i got two straight thru mufflers on, one long one in the center of the car and one short one right before the tip its pretty quiet i have an electric cutout on mine as well but mine seems to run better with it closed, i know people say the more open the better but ive found the opposite. My mufflers look like big glaspacks but no ripples on the inside just tiny little holes i got them out of summit really cheap mine is also 3in

Unfortunetly, I have this big echo chamber behind me, lol. It seems they don't make many 3" versions so going 2.5" might be the ticket to shut it up, lol.

Turbo3Iroc
02-04-2011, 08:32 PM
I have a 3" Super Turbo muffler on my Daytona. Drone is greatly reduced but it does get louder on cold days.

glhs0426
02-04-2011, 11:18 PM
They also make a "Hemi" Super Turbo. I've never run one on a turbo car, but they made all the difference in the drone experienced in my family's muscle cars. We had the original exhaust replaced on our 71 GTX and specified Hemi Super Turbos. The shop installed regular Super Turbos, and the drone was horrible above 40mph. I took the car back and had Hemi Super Turbo mufflers installed. The muffler change made a HUGE difference.

turbovanmanČ
02-05-2011, 04:48 PM
They also make a "Hemi" Super Turbo. I've never run one on a turbo car, but they made all the difference in the drone experienced in my family's muscle cars. We had the original exhaust replaced on our 71 GTX and specified Hemi Super Turbos. The shop installed regular Super Turbos, and the drone was horrible above 40mph. I took the car back and had Hemi Super Turbo mufflers installed. The muffler change made a HUGE difference.

Hmmmmmmmm, I'll try to find one. Thanks.

4 l-bodies
02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Simon,
I've used that Hemi Dynomax muffler for like 25 years. I don't like loud cars, never have for the street. My 70 Judge had a pair of them. At WOT the induction noise was probably louder than the exhaust. Had many comments from people asking what exhaust I had on that car. Even cops would inquire presumably so they could tell other gearheads what to put on their cars to quiet them down after giving them noise fix-it tickets (lol). My wife's car has one on at the moment. #17748 is the 2.5" #. 20" long case, 25.5 with ends. Reversible center in, side out. Regular 4.25X9.75" case size just longer... quieter. With a cat, the vehicle will be quiet.
Todd

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Simon,
I've used that Hemi Dynomax muffler for like 25 years. I don't like loud cars, never have for the street. My 70 Judge had a pair of them. At WOT the induction noise was probably louder than the exhaust. Had many comments from people asking what exhaust I had on that car. Even cops would inquire presumably so they could tell other gearheads what to put on their cars to quiet them down after giving them noise fix-it tickets (lol). My wife's car has one on at the moment. #17748 is the 2.5" #. 20" long case, 25.5 with ends. Reversible center in, side out. Regular 4.25X9.75" case size just longer... quieter. With a cat, the vehicle will be quiet.
Todd

I had a look but they only make a few models, so looks like I have to get a 2.5" unit, not really a big deal.

The 17748 comes up as a regular Super Turbo but I guess due to the case size they consider it a Hemi case?

Thanks guys. Going to try one of those and then maybe I can get rid of the rear muffler too, shave off a few lbs, bwahahahha.

Ok, local parts supplier has it, so if I have time, I'll put it on this week.

turbovanmanČ
02-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Ok, so I put the 17748 on, that sucker is heavy, lol. I deleted the large body GM OEM cat and the Ultra Flo muffler, enlarged the 2.5" ends to slide over the 3" pipe, cut a section of pipe to fit the gap and installed with band clamps.

First impressions, it still has a throaty idle but you rev it up and it seems quiet, on the road, certain throttle angles its almost dead quiet, others, some drone. Throttle response, off boost power, spool and turbo hit are all dramatically improved, I noticed it almost immediately. Now the important part, around town, good, at 100 km/h a tad, not enough to worry about, 105-120 km/h, it drones a bit, 125+, quiet. As I log more miles, I'll see if I can live with it or not, if not, running out of idea's, :(

glhs0426
02-12-2011, 07:52 PM
If you would have left the cat, do you think it would be quiet?

ScottD
02-13-2011, 11:33 AM
I have a super turbo on my turismo.

2.25 full exhaust w no cat but I do have a resonator where the orig resonator was.

Sounds good at wot but quiet at cruising speeds.

Directconnection
02-13-2011, 11:57 AM
I put a super turbo on my old VNT years ago with cat delete, and I could barely tell the difference over the stock muffler. It wasn't a ROUND muffler, mind you.... it was the ovalish shape, and that will give you more sound dampening with that design over the round. So if the hemi one you're using isn't quite quiet enough, then try the oval wide one like I had....?

Force Fed Mopar
02-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Where do you have the muffler located Simon?

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2011, 04:43 PM
If you would have left the cat, do you think it would be quiet?

I replied yesterday but it didn't come thru? Anyhow, yeah, It would be dead quiet with a cat but I have no more room, lol, I need the space where the cat would go to run the cutout and this muffler is long, space is limited, sigh. Guess I'll live with it or put a stock truck muffler on.

I have a super turbo on my turismo.

2.25 full exhaust w no cat but I do have a resonator where the orig resonator was.

Sounds good at wot but quiet at cruising speeds.

Yeah, its a 3inch setup, flows well, plus the echo chamber behind me.

I put a super turbo on my old VNT years ago with cat delete, and I could barely tell the difference over the stock muffler. It wasn't a ROUND muffler, mind you.... it was the ovalish shape, and that will give you more sound dampening with that design over the round. So if the hemi one you're using isn't quite quiet enough, then try the oval wide one like I had....?

This is the large oval body unit, I could have gone with the 14" unit but I knew I'd have issues if I did.

Where do you have the muffler located Simon?

Where the stock one goes, in front of the gas tank, I could move it forward 12 inch's but probably wouldn't do much plus then I can't put the cutout in when I get it. I have a mid size Magnaflow round muffler at the rear right before the tailpipe. I have redone the whole system in stainless so ignore that aluminized crap, lol.

This is an old pic but you get the picture, same location.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/Img00001.jpg

Rear muffler-

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/Sonywork050.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/Sonywork049.jpg

Force Fed Mopar
02-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Need some heat insulation around that tire :p

I was gonna say maybe put the muffler at the rear, but you have one there already :) I dunno, when you had it exiting out the back, did it extend past the bumper, and did you have a turn-down or straight out? What if you just ran one muffler at the very back? Maybe all those muffler combos are doing funny things w/ the sound waves.

Also, do you have a full interior still? I can never remember lol. I know you were talking about adding sound insulation soon.

turbovanmanČ
02-14-2011, 02:25 AM
No rear muffler its bad, just a rear muffler, its bad, 2 mufflers, almost liveable, lol.

I have a full interior but yeah, I need to add some real sound insulation, but keep finding other speed things to spend money on, lol.

Directconnection
02-15-2011, 01:50 PM
No wonder why your van "weighs" so much.... you have little, to no, rot!

turbovanmanČ
02-21-2011, 04:16 AM
No wonder why your van "weighs" so much.... you have little, to no, rot!

LOL, its starting though, both 1/4's, :(

Vader85
06-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Yes but they rust from the inside out......they do offer a nice sound though!