PDA

View Full Version : Source for rust repair panels?

Anonymous_User
07-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Does any one make replacement panels for a Daytona - 1st gen - like rocker panels?

looneytuner
07-02-2006, 03:15 PM
nope. Maybe you can find someone in Ca or the south to cut some out for you. I did it for a GTS. It is a pita unless they have a torch and ship the whole mess to you and you can have a pita grinding them from the backside and grind the welds on yours from the front side. They are pretty flimsy. The triple layer on the backside is the structural part of them and it doesn't seem to rust badly. You might find someone with a sheetmetal bender to bend new ones.
Actually it would not be that hard if you make the forms out of lumber and use big c clamps.

Anonymous_User
07-02-2006, 09:49 PM
That figures. Well, JC Whitney sells a cheap-o piece that I could probably make work. Otherwise, I'll just bend something fairly close. It will all be covered by the g f/x anyways.

WVRampage
07-03-2006, 02:27 AM
You can get steel at ACE hardware its in 2foot by 4 foot sheets in 22 guage and it welds nice. If you can find a short peice of rail(for a rail road track) Its a nice thing to have in the shop to form a peice of steel over and the radius on top works nicely and the sharp bend on the botom works for the tight bends.

Turbodave
07-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Sherman and Associates sells rockers for the Daytonas, I don't know how good they are, but at $35.50 per side they are worth a try.

http://store.shermanparts.com/cgi-bin/sherman/product_list.html?img_num=135

Anonymous_User
07-05-2006, 01:03 AM
I'll probably order some rockers from Whitney or those from Sherman. I can get sheet metal at a discount - my brother works at a steel supply company. I'm considering ordering something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41162

Not from harborfreight, though. Grainger has a similar item and I get a discount from them.

Holley
07-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Most stuff from Shermans is near enough OEM quality, needing only slight persuation to go on - for the hastle of getting the metal to curve right etc I'd say its easier to just buy 'em (I need two on the Daytona at the mo, but am just patching them for the moment - I want to get a spot welder before trying to replace the whole thing).

Shermans also stocks Charger rear quarters :) but not fenders :(