PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (Resto Mod)

shelbymopar89
02-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Category: Domestic

I have a 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby for sale, in USA - Florida.

Mileage: 7000 Please read below miles
VIN: PM me for carfax
Engine Size: 2.2L

Asking price is $15,000.00 VERY FIRM

I posted a feeler thread a few months ago and finally decided to sell it. I am very firm on the price, if you don't like it just reserve your comment. I am in no hurry to sell this car and if it does not sell it is just fine with me. I dearly love this car but I miss the building aspect so much that I am willing to part with it for another project. I know the market/economy sucks right now so it will probably stay in my garage, as said before thats OK with me. With that being said if somebody really wants a nice car, they can take it off my hands. Here is a link to the build thread, feel free to ask me any questions. The pics will show what went into the build, but here is the bad that the pictures do not reflect.
1. I have DSS axles but the driver side is still to long for the current ride height. It is fine unless you push it moderatly hard into a right hand turn. If you do you can feel the axle bottoming out thru the steering wheel. DSS can shorten, just never did as I never push that hard into a corner. PS the engine is moved as far as it can go to the pass side. Axle plunge is good on pass side.
2. Oil leak, I have a leak from the back of the engine somewhere, it is not that bad, but very annoying to have to clean the bottom of the car up every couple months.
3. The paint is flaking out of the dodge symbol on the nose. It is not a trailer queen so there is normal fender well speckling.
4. The driver T-top has minor scratches on the black portion, never bothered to fix it because I never put them in, if it is not nice enough to drive the car with the tops out I do not drive it.
5. Driver and Pass windows have the vertical scratches from the guides, the guides are now new but never buffed the scratches out.
6. One wheel has a scratch, I have touched it up but it does not match perfectly.
7. Stage 5 cal causes hard cold starts, Cindy has a fix just need to send it in.
8. Windshield wipers work, but the washer does not as I am using the W/W reservoir as the alky tank.
I will update anything else that I think of but that is all I can think of.
Body has around 160K orig miles. I have put around 7K miles on it since the build. Odometer currently 12,XXX miles. All ataching parts engine bay/underneath were powder coated, not painted.

List of mods...
ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN
Block
0.040-over stock 2.2
Wiseco pistons Skirts/top coated
All ARP Hardware
CSR Electric Water pump
Cylinder Head
Done by MRPbody ported, oversized valves
Cometic Head Gasket
ARP Studs
Camshaft
FM 475
Fidanza Adj
Intake Manifold
Cut, ported one peice
Vac block
Alum Fuel rail
Throttle Body
52mm
Turbo
Turbonetics T3/4 50 trim Stage 2 Wheel
Spearco 1080
Turbo XS Boost Ctlr
Tial BOV
Exhaust
F.M. Stainless 3 inch mandrel bent
T.U. 3 inch S.V.
T.U. Stainless Header (coated)
Fuel System
+40's
Walbro 255 pump
Accufab A.F.P.R.
Earls lines with all AN fittings
New gas tank/sending unit/fuel pump mount
Transmission
A555 with 5K orig miles on it, polished.
Mcleod Rev-loc
Purple Plate
Chrome Molly end plate
Quaife LSD-
Level 2 axles- THE DRIVESHAFT SHOP
Engine Managment
Stage 5 Cal
3 Bar Map
3 Bar progressive Devils Own Alky Inj DevilsOwn alcohol water injection- methanol
Ignition
MSD Blaster coil
Magnacore wires
Plugs...?
Gauges
The following are Auto Meter Ultra lite series
Boost 0-30
EGT
Water Temp
Elect Fuel Press
Oil Press
Innovate LC-1/XD-16 Wideband

Suspension and Chassis
Every bushing that Johnny makes is in this car
Custom Koni front and rear Adj coil overs
Brakes
S/S Sraided Lines
Carbotech, Bobcat pads
All new brake lines The Right Stuff Detailing
Rebuild of my power steering unit www.steerandgear.com (http://www.steerandgear.com)
Chassis stiffening
Front strut tower brace
Rear swaybar
ADJ Panhard bar

Here is a link to the build, pics can be found on page 1,3,4 and dyno can be found on page 5. Car has a ton of trophies, 1st at Newark, 1st place (three years in a row) at Big Daddy's and 2nd at Mopar nats. Never made it to a SDAC event.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?28469-2009-Dodge-Daytona-Shelby-56K-Mega-Death&highlight=
All pics can also be viewed on my site www.shelbymopar.com (http://www.shelbymopar.com)
Any questions hit me up. Car will come with the original A555 (polished) which was still good, just chose to put the low milage tranny in. I have full recipts for everything since I bought the car in 1995. Have many, many spare parts, some are from the totaled car that had 4,700 miles on it when it was totaled so they are in very good shape.
http://www.shelbymopar.com/gallerybuilder/galleries/Car%20Shows/aaa.jpg
http://www.shelbymopar.com/gallerybuilder/galleries/Car%20Shows/aab.jpg
http://www.shelbymopar.com/gallerybuilder/galleries/Car%20Shows/aad.jpg
http://www.shelbymopar.com/gallerybuilder/galleries/Car%20Shows/aai.jpg
http://www.shelbymopar.com/gallerybuilder/galleries/Almost%20done/bbw.jpg

Reaper1
02-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Brent, I think you've made me want to be a rich man even more! LOL

This car is simply amazing! I've had the privilege of not only riding in, but driving this car. It is in a very elite class of TM's that only a few cars out there can say they are in. All the work is top notch and was done with the utmost care and attention to detail. I can assure everybody that NOTHING was done on this car without considerable thought, planning, and execution.

It is NOT a trailer queen. He drives it! I think that is a testimony to the craftsmanship that went into it, and is proof of how well it is taken care of because it ALWAYS looks like it's show ready!

On top of this Brent is a really good guy and one of the most honest and trustworthy people I know. If you want a top notch car from a top notch guy, you don't have to look any farther. I'm almost 100% positive you will NOT find a nicer car for this kind of price.

I'm sad to see her up for sale, but I'm interested in what the next project will be!

shelby_guy04
02-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Every time I see this car I go from 6 to noon lol! The build/unveil thread is awesome. beautiful car, man. GLWS!

shelbymopar89
02-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Brent, I think you've made me want to be a rich man even more! LOL

This car is simply amazing! I've had the privilege of not only riding in, but driving this car. It is in a very elite class of TM's that only a few cars out there can say they are in. All the work is top notch and was done with the utmost care and attention to detail. I can assure everybody that NOTHING was done on this car without considerable thought, planning, and execution.

It is NOT a trailer queen. He drives it! I think that is a testimony to the craftsmanship that went into it, and is proof of how well it is taken care of because it ALWAYS looks like it's show ready!

On top of this Brent is a really good guy and one of the most honest and trustworthy people I know. If you want a top notch car from a top notch guy, you don't have to look any farther. I'm almost 100% positive you will NOT find a nicer car for this kind of price.

I'm sad to see her up for sale, but I'm interested in what the next project will be!
Thanks Chris! I have put a lot into this car and I am glad it shows, It will be a very nice toy for somebody.
*Unrelated- I can not remember where I ran the ground for the LC1/XD16, but I do remember that I read it out with my digital Fluke as the instructions said (and forum) that these are VERY sensitive to grounding locations. It also stated that some of them should be seperated. I would have to look at the instructions to be sure what was what, but I do remember it made a big point of it. I ran power from the fuse block I added that is fuse protected from my battery. If you look on my website in the pics, I believe it is the last picture of the "Almost done" section. I am feeding several items from the fuse block. Hit me up if you have any other Q's. I will look tonight to see where I put the grounds and let you know.

Every time I see this car I go from 6 to noon lol! The build/unveil thread is awesome. beautiful car, man. GLWS!
Thanks man!

shelbymopar89
02-04-2011, 09:08 AM
*Update*
Couple things I forgot.
1. The tune is ok but not running at the perfect A/F. Currently running 25LBS of boost and A/F reads 10.8 most the time to 11.1 on a really cold day. If I turn the fuel pressure down anymore I induce a light throttle cuise "skip" I have a few different versions from Cindy but have yet get the perfect one. It is mostly my fault as I do not drive the car a great deal so and have just failed to send it back to her for adjustment.
2. The car has been in the rain three time since I have finished it, once when I was driving up to Mopar Nats and the other two due to surprise rain in FL. It has new T-top seals on it (Plug---I sell NOS T-top seals---end plug) but the drivers side leaks pretty bad when it rains. I never adjusted the seal, simply because I don't drive it in the rain. Thanks for the support on the price, it is good to see.

83Shelby
02-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Beautiful :thumb:

Mike_Shepard
02-05-2011, 12:00 PM
I seem this car at sdsc a couple years ago must have spent an hour alone looking at it simply stunning car man. I must admit when I seen the add I was curious then seen the price and laughed and said wrote someone fell off their rocker then seen what cast it was and $15k seems a little on the bargain side imo.

Subliminal
02-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Nice car! Maybe the most beautiful T-M I've ever seen!

You might want to update your post, though. It looks like you copied it from another site and a few of your links are messed up.

glhs727
02-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Beautiful car! Bump for a nice car and a good seller!

Directconnection
02-05-2011, 01:40 PM
I know the car fairly well, and Brent, too! hehehe

He was stationed here in Maine just a few towns from me when it was in it's prior "restored" greatness. But after getting the bug, he decided to totally revamp everything with the best of the best. I got to see it almost completed, but knowing how it was a show winner before, it's easy to say this is probably one of the nicest resto-mod TM's ever (or at least on a top 3 list)

If someone does pick this up.... it needs to be in good hands (remembering what happened to Butch's '89 after he sold it)

Reaper1
02-05-2011, 07:05 PM
I thought Butch bought that car back and rebuilt it? I know that he did that once anyway. Did he sell it again? If so, where did it end up?

And to be thread related and all, no offense to Butch, but this car is nicer than Butch's was even in its show winning condition when he had it at Carlisle, to give you an idea of how nice this car REALLY is!

Directconnection
02-05-2011, 08:03 PM
And to be thread related and all, no offense to Butch, but this car is nicer than Butch's was even in its show winning condition when he had it at Carlisle, to give you an idea of how nice this car REALLY is!

Yeah, no offense to Butch's nice '89 he had, but even before Brent went crazy with his the 1st time he restored it, it was actually a bit nicer then. Brent spent some coin on getting a better than average paint job.

Reaper1
02-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah, no offense to Butch's nice '89 he had, but even before Brent went crazy with his the 1st time he restored it, it was actually a bit nicer then. Brent spent some coin on getting a better than average paint job.

+1 :thumb:

Force Fed Mopar
02-05-2011, 09:34 PM
It is a very nice car, well worth the money IMO. Other sports cars from the era w/ similar work are going for nearly that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-0-Coupe-Notchback-/160541014799?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2560fd7b0f

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-Camaro-IROC-Z-5-7-L-33-500-mi-/260731533564?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cb4cf78fc

This car was those cars' rival, so why not?

clocktowersniper
02-05-2011, 11:54 PM
I saw this car and its exactly what I am looking for. However there are some issues with it that for the money being asked to me makes it not worth it. For that price on a Daytona I'd want it perfect. Now I am not saying its not a nice ride because its a real nice ride. The LX owner is crazy for that price. The IROC owner is right in line IMO. To me this car is worth around $10k in todays market. Now if this was a few years ago..........
It looks like ALOT of time was put into this car and someone will buy it. Dont mind what I say I am just a real picky mofo andd dont like parting with my moolah!

Force Fed Mopar
02-06-2011, 12:30 AM
... Dont mind what I say I am just a real picky mofo andd dont like parting with my moolah!

I can vouch for this :p However I will say that for 15k, I would expect the t-top seals (or windows or whatever needs it) to be adjusted properly so it doesn't leak in the rain. The tune is a minor issue :)

shelbymopar89
02-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Some good points made in the above posts. The reason I let everybody know is simply down to honesty. One would figure that whoever buys this would not use it as a DD. I would like to go even further to say they would choose not to drive it in the rain. With that being said, I too feel that way, but I have got caught in rain before and it dripped down the seatbelt and I felt it on my shoulder. I could have eaisly not mentioned a thing and the owner find out when he/she got caught in a rain storm down the road, I wanted to be honest. Just like the axle that bottoms out, when Reaper1 drove it he had no idea what I was talking about, even when he pushed it a little he could not feel it. Again, on a test drive i highly doubt the perspective buyer would push it hard enough to feel it. Just trying to be as honest about the vehicle as possible. Yes I could adjust the seals not to leak, just have not gotten to it yet as the need is just not there for me. I am also a very picky person when it comes to vehicles, and spent a lot of time taking the harder route for a better product. Have some vaca time in the near future, maybe it's time to adjust the seals.....

Directconnection
02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I saw this car and its exactly what I am looking for. However there are some issues with it that for the money being asked to me makes it not worth it. For that price on a Daytona I'd want it perfect. Now I am not saying its not a nice ride because its a real nice ride. The LX owner is crazy for that price. The IROC owner is right in line IMO. To me this car is worth around $10k in todays market.

Price out a *good* paint job sometime, then tell them you want the undercarriage done, too. Expect a big chunk of that $10k to be gone..... if not all of it.

Force Fed Mopar
02-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Price out a *good* paint job sometime, then tell them you want the undercarriage done, too. Expect a big chunk of that $10k to be gone..... if not all of it.

x2 ^^

Evilancer
02-08-2011, 08:35 PM

That is such a true statement, I speak from experience. Beautiful car man, I'd say it's worth every penny, good luck with the sale.

Jon

GLHSHELBY
02-17-2011, 03:26 AM
very nice and good luck with the sale,I can never find one this nice when I decide to look for them. BTW,I can`t believe people are paying that for those brand x cars,crazy

Shadowjake
05-12-2011, 05:35 PM
This is an incredible car! I hope to do my Shelby CSX half this good. I saw your whole rebuild process over at SVT.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/618042-4-year-resto-mod-my-1989-dodge-daytona-shelby-1st-post-too.html

Good luck on the sale and free bump from a huge fan!

89FerrariShelby
05-17-2011, 09:39 PM

yeah...mine was 7500 w/o the undercarriage....

Beautiful Daytona...as someone with a lot of money into a daytona i'm really curious what this ends up selling for. Best of luck in getting the full 15...

oh...and at some point i'll probably be contacting you for a set of the seals =P

shelbymopar89
05-28-2011, 06:58 PM
very nice and good luck with the sale,I can never find one this nice when I decide to look for them. BTW,I can`t believe people are paying that for those brand x cars,crazy
Thanks man!

This is an incredible car! I hope to do my Shelby CSX half this good. I saw your whole rebuild process over at SVT.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/618042-4-year-resto-mod-my-1989-dodge-daytona-shelby-1st-post-too.html

Good luck on the sale and free bump from a huge fan!
Thanks, I like to troll over there, best video section around IMHO

yeah...mine was 7500 w/o the undercarriage....

Beautiful Daytona...as someone with a lot of money into a daytona i'm really curious what this ends up selling for. Best of luck in getting the full 15...

oh...and at some point i'll probably be contacting you for a set of the seals =P
Thanks, I am actually out of the states working, and will be for quite some time. I was trying to sell it before I left, will have to make up my mind when I return. The guy I bought it off off already offered 13K but I told him I was holding out, he told me if I had to dump it he would gladly pay that for it. I told him I bet he would...He and his wife are life-long mopar guys with a nice stable. He never actually had that car up for sale, I bought a Turismo from him and he had the Daytona in his garage because they just had a baby and the car seat was a no go. I was looking for a vehicle a couple years later and remembered he had it so I called him up and we worked out some numbers and I took it home. They brought their first born home with it and his wife loves the car, if anything ever happens to me it is actually willed to him. Long story short, when I get home I will rethink the selling of it....