PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Seeking a RUST-FREE, PROBLEM FREE Daily Driver

TripleJackInGA
01-27-2011, 09:36 PM
**~~$50 FINDER'S FEE~~**

I'm in the market for a new daily driver, and wouldn't mind it being a nice TD. I've had a few in the past, and I'm a lifelong MoPar guy.

Budget *possibly* up to $5000 for a really really really nice car. I have cash. The green kind, not the kind that's still in the bank. It's sitting here right now, and I'm staring at it.

Preference to 86 GLHS, GLH Turbo, 5-speed Mini, & well-done, finished 2.4/SRT/Hybrid swaps. Low mileage, very original cars also go to the top of the list.

There's a couple of things I *MUST* have:

- MUST BE A TURBO CAR
- RUST-FREE: Growing up in the Southeast, when we say 'no rust', it means it has no rust. I've found that people in other parts of the country sometimes believe that it means 'it has a little rust'. I don't mind a spot or two of SURFACE RUST, such as the corner of a hood, etc., but I am not dealing with any rot/cancer/holes/floor pans.
- Daily Driver: I'm got rid of a newer vehicle, so I can get rid of the payments, as I have been unemployed since mid-October. I'm seeking something that can be driven every day, possibly commuting up to 100 miles a day, which is common in the Atlanta area. I'd prefer a car that is as close to stock as possible, with everything on the car working as designed, and not missing parts. If it's been modified, it needs to be all sorted out, so it can function as a reliable daily driver. Not looking to finish a project or basket case.
- LOCATION: While I'm in the SE, and prefer something close, location isn't a huge deal for the right car, at the right price. My GF works for an airline, so I can get to most places without too much trouble, especially if they're at least near an airport.

Let me know what you have, or what you know of with lots of details, and please accurately describe the car, so no-one wastes their time.

**~~$50 FINDER'S FEE~~**

Thanks!

Jack

newmember
07-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Are you still looking and how far are you willing to travel?

22mopar
07-03-2011, 12:31 AM
"problem free" you're looking at the WRONG car.

briceturbosports
07-03-2011, 12:41 AM
have an 89 spirit runs great 3500.00 rust free came from south car 2 year old paint never a problem 32 mpg 2.5 5 speed

cordes
07-03-2011, 01:05 AM
"problem free" you're looking at the WRONG car.

Wrong form of transportation is more like it. How anyone could expect a problem free vehicle manufactured no later than 93' is beyond me. That's setting the sites a little high even for new cars.

raccoon
07-03-2011, 08:55 AM
I think by problem free, he means no known unfixed problems. everyone dogs these for reliabliity, but ffs 20 year old turbo car. id say my acclaim is reliable. I drive it for almost 2 hours on week days.

TripleJackInGA
07-03-2011, 11:41 AM
I think by problem free, he means no known unfixed problems. everyone dogs these for reliabliity, but ffs 20 year old turbo car. id say my acclaim is reliable. I drive it for almost 2 hours on week days.

Exactly - By "problem-free", I mean everything works as it's designed, and maintenance is up to date. An example would be that the cooling fan doesn't come on when it's supposed to, but you never worry about it, because you know about it, and you carry a book of spells to make it work somehow. Or the temp gauge works erratically, or not at all, and you never bothered to look into it.
Yes, they're old cars, and no, the build quality wasn't that great to begin with, especially by today's reliability standards, but even a Yugo will last indefinitely, if you maintain it properly.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Are you still looking and how far are you willing to travel?

PM sent.

Directconnection
07-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Yes, they're old cars, and no, the build quality wasn't that great to begin with, especially by today's reliability standards, but even a Yugo will last indefinitely, if you maintain it properly.

Then maybe you should have maintained your last vehicle "properly" otherwise you wouldn't be here looking for one to beat on as a *DAILY DRIVER* :D If you're looking to ruin a rare vehicle such as a GLHS for everyday duties, I hope you look elsewhere... as there are many other vehicles to choose from to run into the ground. Still plenty of T-I Shadows and Lebarons to choose from.

TripleJackInGA
07-03-2011, 11:52 AM
have an 89 spirit runs great 3500.00 rust free came from south car 2 year old paint never a problem 32 mpg 2.5 5 speed

I sent you a PM with my #, and posted on your thread back in February when I was looking, asking about the CSX, and I never heard anything. I just shot you another PM on the Spirit.

88_pacifica
07-03-2011, 12:00 PM

The Yugo was a poorly designed vehicle and regardless of how well you maintain it, you can't keep poor engineering from eventually failing, let alone getting parts for the thing...

Then maybe you should have maintained your last vehicle "properly" otherwise you wouldn't be here looking for one to beat on as a *DAILY DRIVER* :D If you're looking to ruin a rare vehicle such as a GLHS for everyday duties, I hope you look elsewhere... as there are many other vehicles to choose from to run into the ground. Still plenty of T-I Shadows and Lebarons to choose from.

While some may not want the collectible rare cars to be purchased for daily duties and generally be 'beat on,' if he were to purchase the car and do just that, that's his business. If someone has issues with how a person maintains their vehicles or how they use it, then they have to pony up the funds and buy it from them to prevent this from happening. The other option is if you are the seller, then refuse to sell it those you do not consider a good buyer.

Jack, good luck with your search and I hope you find what you are seeking. However, you will be hard-pressed finding a mint piece because even a seemingly 'mint' vehicle will have 'some' sort of necessary maintenance needed, as well as have some 'hidden' rust, even in a 'perfect' piece...

TripleJackInGA
07-03-2011, 12:03 PM

Hey man, you don't know me, and it's none of your business why I'm looking for a car, or what I do with it. You have no idea how I use my vehicles, or how I maintain them. You look at more than half the stuff on this site, and it's already been beat on, allowed to die a slow, rusty death, or both.
I do maintain my vehicle properly, but when I lost my job last October, after 10.5 years, it didn't make much sense to hold onto a 2008 Jeep Wrangler, and pay almost $500 a month in payments and insurance. I just started a new job last week, and I need something a little newer than my 72 Dart, which has been my daily driver since I got it back in February.
I'm not looking to beat on anything. I take care of my stuff, unlike much of what people already have here, and what is bought and sold.
I appreciate these cars, and that's why I'm looking for one.

So until and unless you know every little detail about someone's intent, or their situation, then maybe you should mind your own business, and not make assumptions.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

you will be hard-pressed finding a mint piece because even a seemingly 'mint' vehicle will have 'some' sort of necessary maintenance needed, as well as have some 'hidden' rust, even in a 'perfect' piece...

I'm not looking for perfection, or mint. Honestly, I don't care about the paint itself, but the rust I can't deal with. Trust me, there are cars out there that have zero rust, especially if they've never lived up North, and/or been driven in the Winter. One problem I've run into, with these, or any cars, is that the definition of "no rust" varies widely from region to region. I flew to NJ to look at a "nice clean SC car with no rust" back in February. Had rotted door bottoms, drip rails, and a hole in the LR floor I could stick my finger through. The guy actually got pissed when I told him I wasn't interested.

If it was too mint, I wouldn't want to drive it.

88_pacifica
07-03-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm not looking for perfection, or mint. Honestly, I don't care about the paint itself, but the rust I can't deal with. Trust me, there are cars out there that have zero rust, especially if they've never lived up North, and/or been driven in the Winter.
If it was too mint, I wouldn't want to drive it.

I was just making a point. Either way, good luck on your search and I hope you find a good one... :thumb:

Directconnection
07-03-2011, 10:56 PM
I guess you didn't notice my smiley face I put in my last post....

I still do, however, dislike seeing nice solid "rare" vehicles turned into daily drivers... so I will still stand by my point.