PDA

View Full Version : Coil reccomendations?

gears351
01-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Anyone out there have a preferred ignition coil? Back on my old 83 SC I put the chrome Accel on it (to match the VC). But on all my V8s I run MSD

Should I go with an OEM canister style MSD or a TFI type like on the wife's Durango?

I'm chasing an ignition cutout and since it's a 20 year old stock coil why not upgrade when I replace it.

turbovanmanČ
01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
I sell, use and prefer Aurora coils, I can run .030" plug gap at 30 psi on my van, :thumb:

They are a bit pricey but then you don't need to buy a seperate coil/module, its all in one. $350

rbryant
01-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Anyone out there have a preferred ignition coil? Back on my old 83 SC I put the chrome Accel on it (to match the VC). But on all my V8s I run MSD

Should I go with an OEM canister style MSD or a TFI type like on the wife's Durango?

I'm chasing an ignition cutout and since it's a 20 year old stock coil why not upgrade when I replace it.

People don't seem to have good luck with the MSD coils. I think they might be designed to work with a CDI box and have less windings or something.

I really like the MSD wires and supply them but unless you add a CDI box the coils are generally a downgrade from stock.

The stock coil should be just fine in your application unless you are running high compression or a turbo.

-Rich

gears351
01-27-2011, 07:14 PM
$350!!? WOW! What do you mean separate coil module? Isn't the module the SMEC?

Rich, it is a turbo & the head was cut (but I only want to run stock boost) - should I get a newer style coil as a replacement (it, non-oil-filled)?

turbovanmanČ
01-27-2011, 07:27 PM

Rich, it is a turbo & the head was cut (but I only want to run stock boost) - should I get a newer style coil as a replacement (it, non-oil-filled)?

Considering when you buy MSD etc, for the coil to actually be better than stock, you need the ignition box to drive the coil, where this is all one unit. The computer drives the coil yes but this is an add on, like the MSD box's.

iTurbo
01-27-2011, 07:27 PM
I had one of those E-core MSD coils that mounts on the head go bad at the worst place. I was driving up an overpass, car died and couldn't quite make it over the crest. Luckily the guy in the truck behind me got out and helped me push it over the top so I could roll down the otherside rather than roll back down backwards. I must have had about 1 1/2 blocks worth of cars lined up behind me waiting for us to push the Shelby Lancer out of the way! I replaced it with a stock coil from the junkyard and all was well again.

shadow88
01-27-2011, 07:31 PM
My vote goes to factory ignition systems. Especially if you're trying to track down a problem, it's easier to use factory wiring and diagnostic procedures.

rbryant
01-27-2011, 07:42 PM

I would also just stick with the stock coil. It is more than adequate. Upgrading the wires first makes more sense because if you upgrade to a CDI box you will NEED low resistance wires or they will just burn up.

The oil filled coil is fine but don't mount it on your engine or the vibrations can kill it. If you want the coil on your engine then just get the a later model factory epoxy coil that mounts on the thermostat housing.

Simon and I both offer upgraded spark plug wires depending on what setup you want with them. Take a look at mine and his as both are quality wires that will last for a long time. Mine is a more expensive setup because I modify the distributor cap where his uses a stock cap.

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
01-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Simon and I both offer upgraded spark plug wires depending on what setup you want with them. Take a look at mine and his as both are quality wires that will last for a long time. Mine is a more expensive setup because I modify the distributor cap where his uses a stock cap.

-Rich

Yep, yep, :nod:

gears351
01-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Ok Simon, so it's more like running a Hyfire box & coil or MSD 8 adjustable ignition - that makes sense. It also sounds like more than I need right now.

Rich, I was checking your webpage after your first post - good looking stuff (how do you swap terminals - cut & plastic weld?). I managed to get a Brass center sectioned fairly thick plastic cap & new set of Autolite wires when I did the headgasket. I'm going to try the coil replacement before I replace a new cap & wires. I'm using the stock mount on the firewall.... come to think of it it's the stock Dakota NA coil. But I'm fairly certain it's the same as the 89 Daytona unit, so not wrong, just old..... right?

Oh yeah, NGK Iridium plugs. #4 looks brand new, the rest have normal deposits on them.....

rbryant
01-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Rich, I was checking your webpage after your first post - good looking stuff (how do you swap terminals - cut & plastic weld?).

Ahh the secret sauce...

It isn't that big of a secret actually. I just drill and use RTV.

I plan on offering some snap in replacements soon aswell to bring down the costs (they are a pain to make)

The coils are all basically the same.

The only real difference in the caps is whether the center is brass or aluminum. IMO the Napa Echlin brass cap is the best because it has a larger button on it but it doesn't really matter because that isn't an arcing contact point anyway. Our caps basically never wear out unless they crack.

The wire terminals wear out before the cap and pull off easily and have a hard time fitting into the cap with an 8.5mm wire because they are really designed for a 7mm wire.

-Rich

gears351
01-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks Rich I wasn't trying to pry, I just couldn't tell by your pics on your site. I've run into an issue with the center button being fixed to the cap & burning out - this new one (AutoZone GOLD) has a spring loaded carbon electrode that maintains constant contact with the rotor.

I just got off the phone with O'Reilly's and they list a different pn coil between the 90 Dakota (what I'm running) and the 89 Daytona - BorgWarner pn E39 and it's under $20 (or the BW off/store brand for $13 - which I wouldnt buy).

Accel shows the 8104M for all Chrysler products with electronic ignition. $33.95

rbryant
01-27-2011, 09:13 PM
I've run into an issue with the center button being fixed to the cap & burning out - this new one (AutoZone GOLD) has a spring loaded carbon electrode that maintains constant contact with the rotor.

They should all have a spring behind the carbon electrode.

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
01-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Ok Simon, so it's more like running a Hyfire box & coil or MSD 8 adjustable ignition - that makes sense. It also sounds like more than I need right now.

Rich, I was checking your webpage after your first post - good looking stuff (how do you swap terminals - cut & plastic weld?). I managed to get a Brass center sectioned fairly thick plastic cap & new set of Autolite wires when I did the headgasket. I'm going to try the coil replacement before I replace a new cap & wires. I'm using the stock mount on the firewall.... come to think of it it's the stock Dakota NA coil. But I'm fairly certain it's the same as the 89 Daytona unit, so not wrong, just old..... right?

Oh yeah, NGK Iridium plugs. #4 looks brand new, the rest have normal deposits on them.....

Dude, Autolite wires are pure garbage, carbon core cheap replacement junk.

The wire terminals wear out before the cap and pull off easily and have a hard time fitting into the cap with an 8.5mm wire because they are really designed for a 7mm wire.

-Rich

Except mine, :p

gears351
01-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Simon, shipping on 8v to 44278?
I've run Taylors and wasn't impressed so I switched to Autolites and get a new set every year under warranty. MSD has been tickling my fancy lately and I was thinking of them for my V-8s.... What's a set of the Auroras run for an 8 and are there volume discounts (may as well get em for all the trucks & pay for shipping once).

turbovanmanČ
01-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Simon, shipping on 8v to 44278?
I've run Taylors and wasn't impressed so I switched to Autolites and get a new set every year under warranty. MSD has been tickling my fancy lately and I was thinking of them for my V-8s.... What's a set of the Auroras run for an 8 and are there volume discounts (may as well get em for all the trucks & pay for shipping once).

Shipping is $12, red are $55, black are $60 and yeah, if you order a few sets I can give you a few bucks off.