PDA

View Full Version : Alternator bracket NEW with rubber???? Interested?

Johnny
01-26-2011, 01:33 AM
This alternator bracket was sent to me, asking if I could supply/replace the rubber part with polyurethane.
Would anyone be interested in NEW ones made with rubber like the factory ones??
I understand they are still available at the dealer, anyone know the price there?
Available anywhere else??

Johnny

Part I have shows #24861
http://polybushings.com/images/ALTBrkt.JPG

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Not even sure what all cars these fit. A lot of the 80's and early 90's FWD Mopars use this. You would have to look at yours to see if it matches.

DOHCRT
01-26-2011, 01:50 AM
I think they are around $40. Rich Bryant sells a solid aluminum one, since the rubber isn't really needed. A second source is always a good thing.

raccoon
01-26-2011, 03:41 AM
I have a good supply of these, I don't think its a hard to obtain part.

Johnny
01-26-2011, 03:45 AM
Well then why was everyone always asking for them, saying they could not find them?

raccoon
01-26-2011, 03:46 AM
well i am hoarding. might just be me.

Reeves
01-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Are they still available at the dealer?
If so, what is the part number?
How much is a new one from the dealer?

Johnny
01-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I'll make a stop at the dealer today.

135sohc
01-26-2011, 12:43 PM
I have a good supply of these, I don't think its a hard to obtain part.

Hard to obtain not already cracked or pulled off center and in the process of cracking.

Are they still available at the dealer?
If so, what is the part number?
How much is a new one from the dealer?

Theres an earlier version and a later version with a cross over in the year range they were used. The difference is the bolt hole size in the center of the rubber portion and the nut welded onto the outside. IIRC the later version is the M10 bolt size, P/N 4483491 and it lists for $57.00. Earlier version costs alot more.

Johnny
01-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Could they be interchanged some how? By just using a different bolt?

Reeves
01-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Could they be interchanged some how? By just using a different bolt?

Yes, I believe so.
I had an alternator once that had a clearance hole for an M8 bolt, and I just drilled it out to use the M10.

Johnny
01-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Went to the dealer and found out:
1988-1990 is part #4448455 and retails at $138
1990-96 is part #4483491 and retails for $56
This is through their "vintage" parts company, as Mopar no longer carries these except through them.
Looked at my 87 and sure enough it's nothing like this part. So sure must be '88 and newer design.
Anyone have both handy so they can determine what the difference is between the two for sure?

Reeves, the one you sent me was from what year/car?

Reeves
01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I believe it was from a 1989 Caravan.

cordes
01-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Went to the dealer and found out:
1988-1990 is part #4448455 and retails at $138
1990-96 is part #4483491 and retails for $56
This is through their "vintage" parts company, as Mopar no longer carries these except through them.
Looked at my 87 and sure enough it's nothing like this part. So sure must be '88 and newer design.
Anyone have both handy so they can determine what the difference is between the two for sure?

Reeves, the one you sent me was from what year/car?

I do believe the only difference between the two different pieces of that style is the size of the bolt.

tryingbe
01-27-2011, 10:31 AM
There used to be a need since junkyard ones were cracked and replacement is expensive.

But there is no need for it anymore.

Rich designed and made a solid one.

http://rbryant.freeshell.org/misc_products.htm

iTurbo
01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
I believe I'm going to need one of these as mine are cracked/ripped. I have 8v belt setup with ND alternator for TIII in my Omni. Pretty sure it uses this and I have it all mocked up out in the garage. I think mine came from '89 Caravan as well.

Johnny
01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
But there is no need for it anymore.

Rich designed and made a solid one.

http://rbryant.freeshell.org/misc_products.htm

That's what I keep telling people, but some want the stock piece they have told me.
We shall see, maybe the poll will give some kind of indication.

Force Fed Mopar
01-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Must've been a reason they went to the rubber piece. However, earlier cars ran for hundreds of thousands of miles w/o one, so probably not too important. Probably something to do w/ removing vibrations or something. Unless you were restoring one, I'd probably just go w/ the solid one.

iTurbo
01-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah, the TIII factory setup had the alternator solidly mounted with no bushings. It had a separate idler pulley that did the tension, so the TIII alt doesn't pivot at all like the 8v setup. Just some food for thought.

Johnny
02-19-2011, 03:06 AM
Received the sample today. Seems just like the factory one.
I just have one, but think I'll order a few.

Reeves
02-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Looks good!

turbovanmanČ
02-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Must've been a reason they went to the rubber piece. However, earlier cars ran for hundreds of thousands of miles w/o one, so probably not too important. Probably something to do w/ removing vibrations or something. Unless you were restoring one, I'd probably just go w/ the solid one.

It was probably to help withe belt snap/whip, as there is no harmonic balancer. It may or may not be needed but if Johhny is making them, just gives us more options, :nod:

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Received the sample today. Seems just like the factory one.
I just have one, but think I'll order a few.

Looks good, only make the smaller one then you can drill it out if the buyer needs the larger one or let them do it, saves everyone money.

iTurbo
02-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Well I would buy one and I'll take some alt bracket pivot bushings to go with it.

4 l-bodies
02-20-2011, 09:52 PM
29148I don't know why anybody uses that style bracket with it's propensity to fail. I just use the 87-88 style. Doesn't break, plentiful, easy to adjust, still uses rubber for vibration isolation, is compact, fits the ND, Chrysler Corporate & Bosch alternators perfectly. If weight is an issue it certainly could be Swiss cheesed. What am I not understanding here?
Todd

Force Fed Mopar
02-20-2011, 10:03 PM
29148I don't know why anybody uses that style bracket with it's propensity to fail. I just use the 87-88 style. Doesn't break, plentiful, easy to adjust, still uses rubber for vibration isolation, is compact, fits the ND, Chrysler Corporate & Bosch alternators perfectly. If weight is an issue it certainly could be Swiss cheesed. What am I not understanding here?
Todd

I agree :)

iTurbo
02-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Does that bracket fit ND alternator AND L-body though?

Force Fed Mopar
02-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Does that bracket fit ND alternator AND L-body though?

Pretty certain that is the same bracket I had on my GLHS w/ an ND alternator.

iTurbo
02-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Right on. When I started using an ND alternator in my own GLH Turbo, it was because I swapped in an '89 2.5 TI from a Caravan so I just continued using that smaller bracket. I will say that setting the tension and accessing the lock nut was pretty easy though, even after moving the stock battery to the passenger side. Looks like it might be more difficult with the '87-'88 bracket although I can't say I've ever used that in an L-body.

turbovanmanČ
02-21-2011, 02:57 AM
Todd

So that will fit a common block?

4 l-bodies
02-21-2011, 08:55 PM
So that will fit a common block?
Humm... I posted this earlier but for some reason it didn't post. Let me try this again. Yes it will fit a CB, early, tall deck, or funky hybrid Mexican castings. However, when using the C/B waterpump the bracket will make the alternator sit higher than before. In other words, you will need a longer belt. This is because the bottom bracket bolt on the C/B waterpump sits about 2" higher on the CB pump vs. the early pump. You will need to have a bit of clearance in front of the alternator so check that you do before switching over to this style bracket. IMO, if it's really tight in this area you should be running a early block pump anyway. On Quacks masi GLHS, I had to shorten this bracket a bit because of the huge FMIC. I run this bracket on all my GLH's, because I despise those original Chrysler alternators and switched everything over to ND style. Jeremy, as you will find out shortly, the masi motors for some reason all used the early waterpump regardless whether it was a early or CB block. Factory just tweaked the oil pan rail ever so slightly and they fit fine.
Todd

turbovanmanČ
02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Humm... I posted this earlier but for some reason it didn't post. Let me try this again. Yes it will fit a CB, early, tall deck, or funky hybrid Mexican castings. However, when using the C/B waterpump the bracket will make the alternator sit higher than before. In other words, you will need a longer belt. This is because the bottom bracket bolt on the C/B waterpump sits about 2" higher on the CB pump vs. the early pump. You will need to have a bit of clearance in front of the alternator so check that you do before switching over to this style bracket. IMO, if it's really tight in this area you should be running a early block pump anyway. On Quacks masi GLHS, I had to shorten this bracket a bit because of the huge FMIC. I run this bracket on all my GLH's, because I despise those original Chrysler alternators and switched everything over to ND style. Jeremy, as you will find out shortly, the masi motors for some reason all used the early waterpump regardless whether it was a early or CB block. Factory just tweaked the oil pan rail ever so slightly and they fit fine.
Todd

Good info, thanks.

iTurbo
02-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks Todd!

Johnny
03-23-2011, 11:38 AM
I have these in stock now. I'll get a web page built soon with photo and pricing.

Dez
04-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I have these in stock now. I'll get a web page built soon with photo and pricing.

Looks good, boss!

BIG PSI
04-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Johnny what are the chances of you selling NON-A/C Brackets with the bushings in them?

Johnny
04-03-2011, 12:14 AM
clarify which bracket

Reeves
04-03-2011, 10:49 AM
I believe he's talking about the kind of hard to find alt bracket that bolts to the motor and is cast aluminum. No provision for AC.

Johnny
04-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Really? I have tossed lots of those.

Reeves
04-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Really? I have tossed lots of those.

NOOOOOoooooo..........

Monica..............

Yes they are *kinda* rare and worth some $$$. I'd quit tossing them.

Johnny
04-04-2011, 11:13 AM
They are on most the cars in the wrecking yard here. Well, now that the cars are getting scares in the yards, they are getting rare.

I had a "junk" sale when I moved from Portland to here. I think there was a pile of 7 or 8 of them. No one seem to want them then....but then that was 4 years ago

Reeves
04-04-2011, 11:43 AM
They are on most the cars in the wrecking yard here. Well, now that the cars are getting scares in the yards, they are getting rare.

I had a "junk" sale when I moved from Portland to here. I think there was a pile of 7 or 8 of them. No one seem to want them then....but then that was 4 years ago

We are talking about the one's WITHOUT A/C. Right?

Johnny
04-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes no ac, the smaller bracket.
http://polybushings.com/images/brkt.bushgs.jpg

Reeves
04-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Yes no ac, the smaller bracket.
http://polybushings.com/images/brkt.bushgs.jpg

Dang man....wish I knew you had a bunch of them.

135sohc
04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
I have one that I'll never use... I'm the exact opposite, I only keep the big a/c brackets as I like me chilled air.

Force Fed Mopar
04-04-2011, 02:37 PM
I dunno, everytime I see someone selling one nobody wants to give over 20-25 shipped for one. I won't sell one for less than $50 shipped, but others will, so....

BIG PSI
04-08-2011, 01:55 PM

Johnny,

Those are worth MONEY, like $30.00 to $40.00 EACH !!!
Wonders what else Johnny is throwing away ???

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Dang man....wish I knew you had a bunch of them.

Yes; those are the ones in question.
I have two of them here, but neither have the bushings in them.

Johnny
04-08-2011, 02:12 PM
I might have a few left......

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

I tried to sell them at the time, no offers. Then the last day things were free, couple guys came by and grabbed a couple things. No one took the alt brackets.

BIG PSI
04-08-2011, 02:47 PM
I can send you my two and you can install the bushings in both.
Let me know.

Chuck

Force Fed Mopar
04-08-2011, 02:50 PM
The bushings just push in...

Johnny
04-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Yes, just push them into place. Instructions come with the bushings.

BIG PSI
04-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I knew that, I just thought that it would be nice to have brackets that came media blasted, primed, painted, with bushings for us LAZY people....

lol

Johnny
04-08-2011, 07:15 PM
I will do that for $50