PDA

View Full Version : oil lines

Nemesismachine
01-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Do the oil supply lines to the turbo and head need to be professionally crimped or can I just use AN fittings from Jegs?

rbryant
01-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Do the oil supply lines to the turbo and head need to be professionally crimped or can I just use AN fittings from Jegs?

You can make your own but...

I just get that line from our vendors because they can keep the costs down by using the cheaper (and probably better) crimped fittings and making them in bulk. Unless going custom they have also figured out all of the adapters and lengths that work well for everyone.

For making them yourself they just have to hold the max Oil pressure which is usually below 150psi and temperature which is usually below 300. Even the cheap braided AN lines are usually good to 200psi and 300 degrees so they will work fine.

-Rich

DOHCRT
01-24-2011, 09:48 PM
^^^ Agreed. Even though I make my own as I don't like all of the potential leak points that the vendor lines have. It stilll runs around $100 to install the lines even if you mfg them yourself, so just buy the ones from a vendor and be done with it.

rbryant
01-24-2011, 10:08 PM
^^^ Agreed. Even though I make my own as I don't like all of the potential leak points that the vendor lines have. It stilll runs around $100 to install the lines even if you mfg them yourself, so just buy the ones from a vendor and be done with it.

The vendor lines do have some 90 degree adapters and hard lines instead of expensive angled hose ends but if you tighten them properly they work very well. Given that the adapters are all engine to engine it isn't a big deal.

Adapters on lines that go from the body to the engine are much more likely to loosen up as the engine moves but in this case the turbo oil line won't see that kind of movement.

Both the vendor lines and custom lines can both work really well.

-Rich

Dave
01-24-2011, 11:56 PM
I make my own but only because the fitment is better. I've never liked their lines. They use the same AN flared fittings. It's the exact same fitting you would just be making your own.

I just buy pre-crimped AN hoses at work and assemble. As mentioned you may be up to the same cost roughly.

Nemesismachine
01-25-2011, 11:27 AM
I have black fittings, which I like better than the stainless or red/blue AN fittings. Was curious if there's enough pressure to cause an issue.

rbryant
01-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Yea blue/red sucks. They can't even get the blue color the same for all of the fittings from the same supplier!

I am also switching to all black.

-Rich

Dave
01-27-2011, 10:51 PM
I have black fittings, which I like better than the stainless or red/blue AN fittings. Was curious if there's enough pressure to cause an issue.

Some companies I've found are real good about keeping the same color through a controlled anodizing process. A lot of the mix up is when they change their color's and it's old stock vs new stock. If you buy pre-assembled hose those generally take 250psi. Brake lines that use a Teflon inner liner can take pressures over 2,500psi.

shackwrrr
01-27-2011, 11:09 PM
What I like about the vendor lines is that they are teflon tube inside the braided line. This makes them smaller OD for the same ID and they are a bit tougher (the same style brake lines are made from). Also the fittings on the vendor lines are steel.

DOHCRT
01-28-2011, 12:55 AM
What I like about the vendor lines is that they are teflon tube inside the braided line. This makes them smaller OD for the same ID and they are a bit tougher (the same style brake lines are made from). Also the fittings on the vendor lines are steel.

Just remember what we are dealing with here, 100 psi max oil pressure and 25 psi max water pressure. The AN 919 hose mentioned above is awesome, I used to make all of my hoses out of it; but it is more expensive per foot, harder to assemble and waaaay overkill for the intended use. Same with the steel fittings, heavier and waaay overkill for the intended application. I can make up a set of "push-loc" hoses (all 3) in about 5 minutes in my garage. The crimped hose requires a trip to the hose store and the re-usable fitting types require quite a bit of effort to assemble.
Just my 2 pennies, but I have moved to push -loc for all of my stuff; thousands of miles on 6 different cars and 3 sandrails...

iTurbo
01-28-2011, 01:00 AM
I use all TurbosUnleashed line sets here. I've probably bought 6-7 sets over the years for various cars. Never a problem.

Ha, I just noticed this thread is in the hybrid section; thought I was posting in the general Engine sub forum FWIW.

Nemesismachine
02-01-2011, 01:28 AM
I put it in this section because of how I still need to run the lines in my hybrid. Could go in both, I suppose.

Dave
02-01-2011, 09:22 AM
More than likely the fitment isn't going to be the same, I would just make your own.

Easy trick, go here, this is what I've been doing for years... http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=an%20hose%20assembled%20-4&dds=1 Pick your length and get you're fittings for the oil sending unit and CHRA and youre done with the feed. For the drain and coolant feed/return lines I typically just make my own using -6 for coolant feed, -8 for return, oil return I always use -10. Havent had to build a return for a TM yet but with my new setup I will.

lancer402
02-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Don't mean to be a smart ---, but shouldn't we be more concerned with the temperature rating of the hose and not the pressure rating??
These lines are right next to the exhaust manifold.

Andy

Dave
02-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Don't mean to be a smart ---, but shouldn't we be more concerned with the temperature rating of the hose and not the pressure rating??
These lines are right next to the exhaust manifold.

Andy

Good thoughts, most specs that I can come up with show -40* to 300* F operating temperatures. I can't quite say the ambient temperatures are that high around the turbo, but I'm sure they are awfully close. I know I've melted the insulation off electric wires and plastic conduit over a turbo. Granted those are rated to perhaps 100*F or so.

stargazer7467
02-08-2011, 11:37 PM
you could always use the premade -3 brake line assemblies.

ShadowBrad
02-17-2011, 04:22 PM
I fed the oil to my head at the flywheel end into the front lifter galley. I had a pressure gauge on the rear lifter galley. For the oil line though, I just ordered a second turbo oil feed line from TU and used that. It was a few inches to long but with the 45* and 90* fittings that come with it, it worked out great.

Chris W
02-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Rubber hoses are sometimes made up of several hoses with Nylon braid between them. Nylon shrinks from heat exposure restricting the ID.

Our Braided Steel lines use teflon hoses which are rated to 500 degrees F with a burst pressure of over 10,000psi. Keep in mind that fluid transitioning through the lines will aid in keeping things cool increasing overall heat resistance.

Chris-TU

turbovanmanČ
02-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Just remember what we are dealing with here, 100 psi max oil pressure and 25 psi max water pressure. The AN 919 hose mentioned above is awesome, I used to make all of my hoses out of it; but it is more expensive per foot, harder to assemble and waaaay overkill for the intended use. Same with the steel fittings, heavier and waaay overkill for the intended application. I can make up a set of "push-loc" hoses (all 3) in about 5 minutes in my garage. The crimped hose requires a trip to the hose store and the re-usable fitting types require quite a bit of effort to assemble.
Just my 2 pennies, but I have moved to push -loc for all of my stuff; thousands of miles on 6 different cars and 3 sandrails...

Agreed, I love the pushlok stuff from Aeroquip, I've done my engine oil cooler, trans cooler and turbo water lines with the stuff, cheap and ez, yes, they can co-exist, :nod:

Nemesismachine
02-18-2011, 11:24 AM
With the pushlok, they dont pop off under pressure? I am so uneasy of not having a hose clamp on there...

turbovanmanČ
02-18-2011, 08:20 PM
With the pushlok, they dont pop off under pressure? I am so uneasy of not having a hose clamp on there...

Nope, they are a bugger to get on, I usually heat the ends in hot water to make it easier. Read up on it, they are rated for something like 1000 psi, wicked stuff.

stargazer7467
02-19-2011, 11:04 PM
kind of stuff you have to slit down the side to get the hose off. Agreed, wicked stuff.