PDA

View Full Version : Front brake problems at the strip

Clay
07-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Ok, basics: 86 GLHT, bone stock brakes all the way around.

Ive noticed the last few times Ive gone to the strip that my brakes seem to drag, and it gets worse as the night goes on. Tonight I went to the local "Friday Fun Night" which is usually pretty light on people, and you can usually run, get in the return lane, go back to the staging lanes, and literally run again with in 5 minutes. I did this 3 times after getting there, then waited probably 30 minutes for my next run. I noticed something draging (its pretty bad when you dont need to use the brakes to slow down), so I waited a while again before going and it was REALLY bad that time. SO I jacked up the car and BOTH front wheels were nearly impossible to turn by hand.

So both of my front brakes are dragging. Now after the car sits overnight (probably less, but I know in the morning they will be freed up), after the car sits they are loose like they should be. Right now they are so tight I cant push the car around by hand.

My first (and only at the moment) thought is the front brake lines are collapsed and holding pressure on the caliper. BUT from my experience this usually doesnt happen with both brakes at the same time (but who knows!).

anyway, I have also never gone through the front brakes, but they do seem to work fine most other times, but this isnt a daily car either.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

GLHSKEN
07-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Needd to rebuild the calipers... Check the pins for gauling

20w/ashelby
07-05-2006, 07:34 AM
also check the seals on the piston. They pretty much are solely responsible for returning the piston. Or maybe it's just that the slides need lubed. But since you said it frees up after sitting it makes me think that the piston isn't returning itself anywhere close to as fast as it should.

grim
07-06-2006, 08:15 PM
i would replace the rubber lines and calipers . i had this happen to me on a 87 s10 blazer . it kinda shocked me when both front rims was hot.i didnt know what was going on at first . replace all of it and it ran much better .

billy