PDA

View Full Version : how much boost could stock 2.5 dakota block handle

91blueshelbydaytona
01-15-2011, 01:35 AM
how much boost/hp could a stock 2.5 dakota block handle

shackwrrr
01-15-2011, 08:35 AM
same as a normal 2.5. Its the same engine except for minor changes to fit in the truck. So slap a turbo head on there and some custom manifolds and put down some HP.

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2011, 05:27 PM
The block no problem, but above didn't mention putting turbo pistons in, otherwise the compression will be too high.

moparman76_69
01-15-2011, 05:49 PM
chrysler 2.5 or jeep 2.5?

91blueshelbydaytona
01-16-2011, 12:55 AM
dakota block and ive got 30 over Venolia forged pistons and fwd performance h beam rods there arp hybrid headstud kit a 2.5 turbo crank that has been shotpeined and hardened a port and polished 2.4 head 2mm oversize exhaust valves 1mm oversize intake valves brian crower springs and retainers brian crower stage 4 cams fwd performance cam gears jeep liberty intake mani soon to have a challenger tb modded for my setup and the list goes on lol its gonna be on 30 lbs on 110 octane and 22lbs on 93 octane im hopen to get into the 11s idk what hp i want to try for but as much as possible :eyebrows:

Spr-T-23
01-16-2011, 01:24 AM
pics?

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

or its fake...

Juggy
01-16-2011, 01:45 AM
pics?

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

or its fake...

id believe him. theres a turbo dak in the PnP yard around here. *had* turbonetics turbo S70 on it...

Spr-T-23
01-16-2011, 11:06 AM
o i believe him, i just realy want to see what hes got going on. it sounds pretty sick

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2011, 02:50 PM
dakota block and ive got 30 over Venolia forged pistons and fwd performance h beam rods there arp hybrid headstud kit a 2.5 turbo crank that has been shotpeined and hardened a port and polished 2.4 head 2mm oversize exhaust valves 1mm oversize intake valves brian crower springs and retainers brian crower stage 4 cams fwd performance cam gears jeep liberty intake mani soon to have a challenger tb modded for my setup and the list goes on lol its gonna be on 30 lbs on 110 octane and 22lbs on 93 octane im hopen to get into the 11s idk what hp i want to try for but as much as possible :eyebrows:

Wow, awesome, :hail:

Now what are you going to do about traction? :p

Spr-T-23
01-17-2011, 03:56 PM
c'mon, dont make us beg dude.

RoadWarrior222
01-17-2011, 06:44 PM
How much boost could a stock block rock if a stock block could rock boost?

As much boost as a stock block could rock, if a stock block could rock boost!

roachjuice
01-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Crank the boost till you melt a piston, then back off slightly. That's how I roll.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Just kidding. I think the Dakota 2.5 is a common block. So it should handle alot. The insides won't handle much. Pistons rods etc. Get turbo spec pistons and rods etc should be good.

Spr-T-23
01-21-2011, 01:02 PM
ive never seen a t-m block blow apart that i can remember. im sure some of you have at some point though

turbovanmanČ
01-21-2011, 01:30 PM
ive never seen a t-m block blow apart that i can remember. im sure some of you have at some point though

Yep, I think it was Dean Stilie, or Russ Jerome or Top Fuel Bender have one let go, the front end of the cylinder broke and then well, carnage ensued, :(

moparman76_69
01-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Just kidding. I think the Dakota 2.5 is a common block. So it should handle alot. The insides won't handle much. Pistons rods etc. Get turbo spec pistons and rods etc should be good.Dakota engines were 2.2 carb in 87 and 88 then 2.5 common blocks 89-95 then amc 2.5s 96-up. Block is exactly the same, the passenger side mount bolts to where the mid-shaft bracket would go and the driver's side bolts to the two bosses by the distributor that are drilled out for RWD use.

Spr-T-23
01-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Yep, I think it was Dean Stilie, or Russ Jerome or Top Fuel Bender have one let go, the front end of the cylinder broke and then well, carnage ensued, :(

PICS??? sounds like fun...

turbovanmanČ
01-21-2011, 01:52 PM
PICS??? sounds like fun...

Search, lol, can't remember who so go waste a few hours, :p

bfarroo
01-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Larry had one do the same thing as Russ. Block blew into the coolant chamber in a triangle shaped chunk.

vipernbox
01-22-2011, 12:28 AM
I blew one apart.. but I cheated.. I bought this GLH years ago for nothing cause it had a 'light' knock.. Didn't think much of the T1 engine.. so instead of loading it on the trailer we decided to see how far it would go... and it just kept going.. put a couple thousand miles on it like that.. until one night it "blew the head gasket" .. So I stopped at a gas station and started dumping some water in to get back home.. I was about 3/4 of the way through dumping the third gallon of water in.. with nothing coming out ... it then occurred to me.. The piston had beat its way out of the cylinder... and I had just poured 2 gallons of water into the crankcase through the radiator.. opps... I had driven it into the gas station. Seriously it wasn't making any crazy noises after the piston came apart.. and really.. it went without to much commotion.. I really thought when I saw the white smoke that the head gasket had given up....

and the best part is that I had this idiot buddy with one of those late eighties supras.. He thought it would take the GLH.. No dice .. :) but he said.. no way would it keep up with the turbo version... yeah.. It was maybe an hour before the piston finally gave up that the beat up POS little GLH-t had pulled away from a nice stock 90ish supra turbo.. :)

I love these cars...

Spr-T-23
01-22-2011, 02:05 PM
they are like the small block chevy of the 4 banger world

RoadWarrior222
01-22-2011, 03:16 PM
You better explain whether that was a compliment or not, right this instant young man, or I'll wash your mouth out with soap.

91blueshelbydaytona
01-23-2011, 03:41 AM
im getting a camra here soon and ill get some pics of the stuff its not going in a dakota i wanna rwd a shelby charger and put it in that but i cant find any cheep shells or cheep chargers around me in my price range i got the head and block and turbo crank at the pick and pull in columbus oh ive got to wait till i get income tax check back to finish building the motor dont have the money right now for all the bearings and gaskets lol i just want something diferent then a ricer honda but i cant talk crap about em cause im also working on a awd ek hatch with crv drivetrain but back to the charger im looking for one pefer no motor but have the intirror and idc what shape the body is in as long as it rolls ive got pics of some of the stuff like the cams the head and stuff on phone and can post em up but the quality sucks

Spr-T-23
01-23-2011, 01:04 PM
complament, they are pretty cheap to get an build reliably, they are in every car dodge made, they take alot of abuse to kill, everyone you know has had one at one time or another. see just like the small block chevy. oh and they are both good motors that cant get enough air through the stock heads without some port work and bigger valves

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

and if you have a 4banger dakota you dont want, im interested.

Joe Anderson
03-03-2012, 10:51 PM
I would not run more than 5-7 psi on a non-turbo block,without the possibility of cracking a piston.

At a very low 5-7 psi ,the small increase in power is not worth all the work.

To do it right...the turbo pistons,rods and crank should be installed to give you a least 10 psi

Vigo
03-03-2012, 11:10 PM
I would not run more than 5-7 psi on a non-turbo block,without the possibility of cracking a piston.

Well aside from the fact that he already posted that he is running forged pistons and upgraded rods...

I have run 16 psi through a tbi motor so far without breaking it. :)

RoadWarrior222
03-04-2012, 09:51 AM
I asked something similar back in the day on TD, and the consensus then was you could probably get away with running at T1 spec for quite a while, so a bump from ~95HP to 150HP isn't to be sneezed at, had heard of a couple of guys squeezing it up to 190ish, but that was considered really pushing your luck. That's with the stock TBI pistons.

RoadWarrior222
03-04-2012, 10:12 AM
The trick is of course, starting with a GOOD TBI motor in the first place, but the second secret is that it has to be good but well run in. Too many people will try and turbo a motor because they feel it is "tired", meaning it's not making stock outputs... yeah, there's probably something wrong with it, putting a turbo on will accelerate it's impending death. And the second bit, is that a "fresh" or low mileage TBI motor, will have close to spec ring gaps for TBI, which means they're likely to butt together with heat and break piston, score bore, carnage, carnage, carnage... So you only get away with "just slapping a turbo on" a well used, but well looked after N/A motor, that has wear in the bore and rings such that the ring gap is reasonable for running boost!

On motors that never have had turbos, in other model forums, you see this thing all the time. Someone who has a moderate clue, turbos the motor in their "mid life" engine, gets a reasonable amount of power, probably double stock output, and everyone is impressed... then he takes it just a liiiiittle too far one day, makes a tuning mistake, or has a pump failure or something, and it dies... then blames it on the age of the motor.... so gets a very low mileage one, or rebuilds a core to STOCK SPEC, for N/A, or buy$ a rebuilt one and using the previously successful tune, kills it in less than 5000 miles... Or, someone hoping to copy him does it... anyway, you get the diverging legends of "can take boost" and "can't take boost" when the fact of the matter is "can take boost with reasonable ring gap"

So you can "get lucky" with picking just the right motor, with plenty of life in, that has enough ring gap to live.... or... you can use a low mile or rebuilt as long as you open up the ring gap to something similar to other turbo motors with similar ring packages and piston diameters... but remember it's still not as stout as a full on turbo build.

turbovanmanČ
03-04-2012, 04:34 PM
What's the update on this build?

Well aside from the fact that he already posted that he is running forged pistons and upgraded rods...

I have run 16 psi through a tbi motor so far without breaking it. :)

16 psi with a 50 trim on a tbi shortblock, melt city, didn't know it was a tbi short block but it had tons of power before it melted, :nod:

Ondonti
03-05-2012, 05:36 AM
yeah yeah RW you are right carry on blah blah :P Or just regap the rings, but nobody wants to do that.