PDA

View Full Version : Needed Instruments for Datalogging?

Dave
01-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I've been out of the TM world for a bit now. Just curious, if this hasnt been asked yet, what exactly do I need to accurately datalog a SMEC module? If it matters, my 89 Caravan.

I have laptops with both USB and Serial ports.

Thanks for any help. Sorry for the novice question.

-Bryan

PS: I'd like to just datalog but making adjustments is fine too. If I can get one program that does both that'd be preffered.

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Well if you have an 89, then you have a SMEC, :p

I thought I saw you getting a Innovate wideband, if so, then you can buy an AUX box and datalog thru that, go to their site, it explains everything.

You can use a scanner and datalog thru that and Warren has a program, I'll see if I kept the link for it, I think he and Reeves us it and they love it.

Dave
01-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Well if you have an 89, then you have a SMEC, :p

I thought I saw you getting a Innovate wideband, if so, then you can buy an AUX box and datalog thru that, go to their site, it explains everything.

You can use a scanner and datalog thru that and Warren has a program, I'll see if I kept the link for it, I think he and Reeves us it and they love it.

Whoops! I always forget the two. :P Im not using an Innovate. I will be using an AEM UEGO. I do have an OTC scan tool. I just want something I can log to my laptop and graph multiple PIDs.

Thanks Simon.

ShelGame
01-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Use MP Scan and an FTDI cable. I sell a plug-n-play USB-SCI cable, but for the SMEC, it's as simple as plugging in the correct 3 wires from the FTDI cable. You can get the FTDI cable for $20 at many electronics houses on the 'net (digikey, mouser, jameco). I'm going to post my setup file for the cable (it's programmable) to make the setup easier.

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Use MP Scan and an FTDI cable. I sell a plug-n-play USB-SCI cable, but for the SMEC, it's as simple as plugging in the correct 3 wires from the FTDI cable. You can get the FTDI cable for $20 at many electronics houses on the 'net (digikey, mouser, jameco). I'm going to post my setup file for the cable (it's programmable) to make the setup easier.

That's cool. I'll take a cable, send me your paypal addy.

S

ShelGame
01-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Mines $40. But, like I said, it's plug-n-play and includes the protection circuit for flashing the SBEC. That's why the price is higher...

Dave
01-12-2011, 03:12 PM

Awesome man! So where does the other end of the FTDI cable go on the ECU?

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9718#

Sorry I'm such a newb at old school electronics. lol

And I can download MP Tuner for free correct?

Thanks guys.

turbovanmanČ
01-12-2011, 03:22 PM

Thanks guys.

That is correct, but its a steep learning curve over Dcal, :(

ShelGame
01-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Awesome man! So where does the other end of the FTDI cable go on the ECU?

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9718#

Sorry I'm such a newb at old school electronics. lol

Thanks guys.

That's the part. You only use the Rx, Tx, and GND lines from the FTDI cable (and apparently, you can get away without the ground). The Rx on the FTDI cable goes to the Tx on the SCI connector and vice versa. You'll need to change the configuration of the cable using the FTDI utility. I'll post my config file here somewhere so that all you need to do is load it and save it to the cable.

The SCI is usually strapped to the big thick harness going into the 60-way connector under the hood. If you're going to leave the cable plugged in full-time (like I do), I'd suggested tapping the crap out of the connector/wires after you get it plugged in.

MP Tuner and MP Scan are free.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

That is correct, but its a steep learning curve over Dcal, :(

Bah, don't listen to him. It's basically the same as D-Cal, but with more features and functionality.

turbovanmanČ
01-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Bah, don't listen to him. It's basically the same as D-Cal, but with more features and functionality.

It is, lol, I am not the only one that thinks so, :p

ShelGame
01-12-2011, 05:18 PM
It is, lol, I am not the only one that thinks so, :p

What's hard? The only problem I have with it is how picky it is about the table file format. D-Cal is more forgiving of the table file format.

turbovanmanČ
01-12-2011, 06:37 PM
What's hard? The only problem I have with it is how picky it is about the table file format. D-Cal is more forgiving of the table file format.

Using it rocks but loading up a making a new cal from a template is :banghead:

Dave
01-13-2011, 10:17 PM
That's the part. You only use the Rx, Tx, and GND lines from the FTDI cable (and apparently, you can get away without the ground). The Rx on the FTDI cable goes to the Tx on the SCI connector and vice versa. You'll need to change the configuration of the cable using the FTDI utility. I'll post my config file here somewhere so that all you need to do is load it and save it to the cable.

The SCI is usually strapped to the big thick harness going into the 60-way connector under the hood. If you're going to leave the cable plugged in full-time (like I do), I'd suggested tapping the crap out of the connector/wires after you get it plugged in.

:confused: Very confused.... What is a SCI connector? I have no clue where any of these abbreviations are or what they mean. lol Could you possibly show me a detailed how-to, please?

boost geek
01-13-2011, 10:36 PM
I also have the AEM UEGO, and so far I haven't found anything that will datalog with it, unless you buy another thing from AEM (forget the actuall name of it), which costs close to $1000.

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php?topic=23299.0

AEM EMS is what I was thinking off, but thats more of a driver. I'll have to try that link.

ShelGame
01-13-2011, 10:56 PM
:confused: Very confused.... What is a SCI connector? I have no clue where any of these abbreviations are or what they mean. lol Could you possibly show me a detailed how-to, please?

SCI = Serial Communications Interface. It's the diagnostic connector...

turbovanmanČ
01-13-2011, 10:57 PM

Damn, I just learned something new also, I just called it the diagnostic connector, lol.

risen
01-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Looks like I'll have to get a picture and update my datalog guide once I can get near my car again.

Just in case anyone is interested, I finally completed my article about USB datalogging and what you need to set it up. There's one last thing to double check about the LM, but it's good otherwise and I tried to make it as detailed as the 15k character limit would let me. I would suggest that everyone interested spend some time reading that. You can see it here: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?55769-The-USB-Device-datalog-guide

turbovanmanČ
01-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Looks like I'll have to get a picture and update my datalog guide once I can get near my car again.

Just in case anyone is interested, I finally completed my article about USB datalogging and what you need to set it up. There's one last thing to double check about the LM, but it's good otherwise and I tried to make it as detailed as the 15k character limit would let me. I would suggest that everyone interested spend some time reading that. You can see it here: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?55769-The-USB-Device-datalog-guide

You guys are too much, :hail:

Now send me the DIS adapter, :p

boost geek
01-13-2011, 11:21 PM
But Brian has the AEM UEGO, which won't work with that, or am I wrong?

Juggy
01-13-2011, 11:55 PM

shweettt!!!! so the cable your going to hook me up with will be able to do all this ??? :) im gonna need a usb hub now! lol
cant wait....standalone smec FTW! risen you da man :hail:

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

its the plug your OTC scanner or what not plugs into.......

risen
01-14-2011, 12:12 AM
But Brian has the AEM UEGO, which won't work with that, or am I wrong?

No one has written any software to speak directly to an AEM WBo2 sensor yet. You can still datalog with MPScan, or Winlog (if you have a LM), or logworks (if you want to use the stim .dll) but it won't be integrated with the wideband output.

shweettt!!!! so the cable your going to hook me up with will be able to do all this ??? :) im gonna need a usb hub now! lol
cant wait....standalone smec FTW! risen you da man :hail:

Those screenshots are actually from my programming your adapter which I'll be sending back with the A to mini-B cable. :) So, all you'll need to do is to wire it in, make sure the drivers are installed, and tweak the timeouts. The ostrich s/w is about 25-30% done, it'd be further along but that guide took about 6 hours to put together yesterday.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

You guys are too much, :hail:

Now send me the DIS adapter, :p

Once I get the LM part double checked tomorrow, I'll be socketing my smec and getting on with that.