PDA

View Full Version : Mega squrit??????

buckwheat
01-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Is there any body out there that sales a mega squirt set up that you can plug in and tune.i mean one with the 60 pin male end and a base tune so i can get it to my tuner.i guess i am just trying to get around the wire it my self thing not to good in the wire department .

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2011, 02:11 AM
Yes, its called a chipped stock computer or a stock computer with an Ostrich, otherwise break out the soldering iron and get cracking or hire someone to wire it for you.

buckwheat
01-11-2011, 02:33 AM
Thats what i am looking for

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

I got a chiped stock comp.it didnt like my car

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2011, 03:17 AM
I got a chiped stock comp.it didnt like my car

Why???

buckwheat
01-11-2011, 03:33 AM
keep smoking ringlands

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

i am only running 20 psi on a stage 5 cal

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2011, 03:39 AM
keep smoking ringlands

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

So then get an Ostrich and have your tuner tune it or have Rob aka Shelgame do you a new cal if you think its the cal.

What gauges are you using?

buckwheat
01-11-2011, 03:46 AM
yea i just sent him a message.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

no tuners in cali can tune the td logic or smec it sucks.

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2011, 03:48 AM

So do it yourself. There has to be a TM member in Cali that can help you tune it or show your local tuner the video's on what tables to play with. Any decent tuner should be able to figure it out.

You didn't mention what gauges your using? Forged or cast pistons?

buckwheat
01-11-2011, 03:58 AM
AEM wide band o2 2.5 40 over mahle cast. t3/t4hybrid. big fmic + 40 fuel injectors adj fuel pressure reg set at 55 timing is 10 advanced 3inch exhaust cindy stage 5 cal

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

i got the block in the shop right now getting loaded with forged slugs but i think i might be at my limit with with this comp.

shackwrrr
01-11-2011, 07:21 AM
keep smoking ringlands

You sure its not your ring gap? If not then that is definitely a detonation problem which MS would not fix. Megasquirt does not use a knock sensor, couple that with a novice tuner and you have yourself a really bad setup. I would figure out what is going on first e.g. rings, lean, or just plain a bad cal. I would also go over all your wiring and make sure something else isn't happening like an injector dropping out or a sketchy HEP.

shadow88
01-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Well, with the WBO2 you know if it's lean, and I have to assume you would let off the throttle if you saw a/f ratios above 12.0:1 (ish). So that leaves the ignition timing. I have seen the timing schedule through a scan tool from many modified computers and they're far more aggressive than stock and probably why you set the base timing at 10, but that's still not enough.

Forged pistons aren't really the fix. They'll still detonate but they'll put up to the punishment a little better before breaking or burning. The correct fix is to find the reason for the detonation (still assuming the a/f are good) Watch the knock sensor output with a scan tool and back out if it gets above 2.5-3v That is pretty much the limit in my findings of detonation.

Other things you can try is colder plugs or non-projected plugs.

ShelGame
01-11-2011, 10:27 AM

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

If you want someone in Cali, try vprtech (Chris Jensen). He has experience tuning Chrysler electronics and he helped ButchSuppe with his cal.

cordes
01-11-2011, 11:50 AM
You sure its not your ring gap? If not then that is definitely a detonation problem which MS would not fix. Megasquirt does not use a knock sensor, couple that with a novice tuner and you have yourself a really bad setup. I would figure out what is going on first e.g. rings, lean, or just plain a bad cal. I would also go over all your wiring and make sure something else isn't happening like an injector dropping out or a sketchy HEP.

I would want to monitor knock with that setup for sure. IIRC California only has crappy 91 at the pump. That combined with the very aggressive timing in the stg. 5 cal could take out a motor at 20PSI very easily if you don't watch things carefully.

Vigo
01-11-2011, 01:37 PM

Most tuners are like personal shoppers. They cater to the gucci end of the crowd because those are the people willing to pay to have them do something they could do themselves.

Turbo-mopars are on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

I would take the advice here and try to diagnose the problem instead of paying someone a bunch of money to take it off your hands.

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2011, 02:10 PM
AEM wide band o2 2.5 40 over mahle cast. t3/t4hybrid. big fmic + 40 fuel injectors adj fuel pressure reg set at 55 timing is 10 advanced 3inch exhaust cindy stage 5 cal

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

i got the block in the shop right now getting loaded with forged slugs but i think i might be at my limit with with this comp.

Cast pistons won't take abuse like forged as you know, a few have taken cast along way with the proper tune.

If your running Cali's 91 gas, that's half the battle, I would get it running for now, keep the boost low and monitor using a scanner, then go from there. Consider alky injection too.

Aries_Turbo
01-11-2011, 05:58 PM
yeah FWD stage 5 on a 2.5L on 91 pump with 20psi is going to break stuff.

was the cal set up for a 2.5L in the first place? what year car?

Brian

buckwheat
01-11-2011, 08:26 PM
its a 1991 dodge shadow es 2.5 board 40 over 5 speed ported head 3inch exhaust side exit +40 inj adjt fpr set at 55 t3/t4 hybrid the cal was made for my car it was set for 91 i was running 110 octane race gas and i had colder plugs the air fuel was at 12 ive got a good sized front mount its a cheepey. it was a pretty hot day at sacramento race way that day like 105

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

i am sure i will figure it out i was thinking about water meth and maybe a water to air innercooler. i will also check out vprtech....thank you

Aries_Turbo
01-11-2011, 10:36 PM
with that much boost id shoot for 11.5:1 afr.

id also start out with stock 2.5L T1 timing tables and go from there.

ive seen way too many cals (from lots of folks) with S60 high octane mode timing plunked right in there.

Brian

buckwheat
01-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Yea i asked for them to just keep it stock just make it so i can use a 3bar map and run more boost.

Aries_Turbo
01-12-2011, 10:22 PM
you cant use stock timing values for boost higher than 14psi though and be able to run 91 octane and have it last.

the timing advance needs to reduce as the boost goes higher.

Brian

buckwheat
01-13-2011, 11:30 AM
I guess I am going to put a knock sensor and an get A egt gauge in and see what's going on or maybe just start filling up at the airport

buckwheat
01-13-2011, 11:46 AM
The first stage 5 comp I got had issues it would cut the fuel out from time to time so by the time I got my second comp maybe the damage was already done and it's not the comp at all. For the piece of mind I would like a second opinion so shelgame. If your willing to take a look. At it just tell me where to send it.

ShelGame
01-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Take a look at what? I doubt I could make heads or tails of FWD's cal. I'd just start from scratch with my own.

buckwheat
01-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Ok that's fine where do I send it and do you want to do it

ShelGame
01-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Sure, but you don't need to send me your computer unless you're just not comfortable swapping chips. I'm sure the FWD computer is socketed. I can just send you a chip. If you want to palce an order, please go to http://www.boostbutton.com/Calibration-Products.html ; select 'LM/SMEC Custom Cal + Chip' and make sure to fill out a spec sheet using the link near the top left of the page...

buckwheat
01-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Cool thank you will do

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

so her chip can just be plucked out and yours droped in and what about the white rtv tamper seal she puts over the chip that should come right off no harm to the board.

ShelGame
01-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Cool thank you will do

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

so her chip can just be plucked out and yours droped in and what about the white rtv tamper seal she puts over the chip that should come right off no harm to the board.

You should be able to peel that off - unless they sealed the chip up completely. That's not usual, though.

buckwheat
01-13-2011, 09:07 PM
sorry to be a pain in the --- i know motors but when it comes to computers not so good.i peeled all the sealer that was put around the chip and tried to pull and pry the chip out wont budge i dont want to brake it.

cordes
01-13-2011, 09:10 PM
sorry to be a pain in the --- i know motors but when it comes to computers not so good.i peeled all the sealer that was put around the chip and tried to pull and pry the chip out wont budge i dont want to brake it.

Could you post a pic for us? Some of them were not socketed.

buckwheat
01-13-2011, 09:30 PM
http://100_2967

DodgeZ
01-13-2011, 10:08 PM
your attachment didn't work.

Last week I had the LM fail in my car. I was using an FWD stage 5 computer. I pulled the FWD chip out and tossed it in the trash. I was using the socket to install my own chip but the socket ended up failing. Well at least the solder joints failed anyways. I have a couple socketed LMs so I swapped the LM with my chip and took off to work. I need to fix the joints but I my solder iron is a box in my garage somewhere. I'd guess I am not the only one that got a bad solder job to take a look if you are having issues.

buckwheat
01-14-2011, 11:25 AM
I will get a picture up

Aries_Turbo
01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Well at least the solder joints failed anyways. I have a couple socketed LMs so I swapped the LM with my chip and took off to work.

you think that could have been part of the reason that our tuning efforts failed this summer?

DodgeZ
01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
you think that could have been part of the reason that our tuning efforts failed this summer?

I think there was a bunch of problems. The intercooler had nuts in it from mice, I think it was out of time from the oil pump about it fail, and it was rich from being scaled for 72lbs injectors instead of 81lbs (because of our raised fuel pressure). The fuel pump failed also. Well at least I think it did, with it running e85 now and socket issues I am not sure. The pump wasn't coming on. I hot wired the coil to drain the tank and I had to bang on the tank to get the pump to run. After I changed it the next morning the car wouldn't start. I didn't hear the pump. So with the key on I reach down and wiggled the chip. As I did that the pump cut on and off. Odd to have that problem back to back. Not sure if the hot wire trick requires the LM to be hooked up, if it does I swapped the pump for no reason. Well I needed to upgrade to a 255 anyways with e85.

Aries_Turbo
01-14-2011, 06:28 PM
well good, i dont feel bad about the experience then. i mean our tuning session had simon style fail written all over it...... all the things you said plus the fact that i was watching the wideband gauge with the flashlight of my phone and we were figuring out the ostrich thing on the fly.

Brian

cordes
01-14-2011, 06:44 PM
I think there was a bunch of problems. The intercooler had nuts in it from mice, I think it was out of time from the oil pump about it fail, and it was rich from being scaled for 72lbs injectors instead of 81lbs (because of our raised fuel pressure). The fuel pump failed also. Well at least I think it did, with it running e85 now and socket issues I am not sure. The pump wasn't coming on. I hot wired the coil to drain the tank and I had to bang on the tank to get the pump to run. After I changed it the next morning the car wouldn't start. I didn't hear the pump. So with the key on I reach down and wiggled the chip. As I did that the pump cut on and off. Odd to have that problem back to back. Not sure if the hot wire trick requires the LM to be hooked up, if it does I swapped the pump for no reason. Well I needed to upgrade to a 255 anyways with e85.

Not to take this too far off topic, but you don't need the computer hooked up to jump the coil from the battery to energize the pump.

DodgeZ
01-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Not to take this too far off topic, but you don't need the computer hooked up to jump the coil from the battery to energize the pump.

Then pump and the computer died at the same time. LOL

cordes
01-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Then pump and the computer died at the same time. LOL

It's is more frustrating than anything to have two things go out at once like that.

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2011, 05:41 PM
well good, i dont feel bad about the experience then. i mean our tuning session had simon style fail written all over it...... all the things you said plus the fact that i was watching the wideband gauge with the flashlight of my phone and we were figuring out the ostrich thing on the fly.

Brian

Say what? :(

Aries_Turbo
01-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Say what? :(

@ SDAC. tuning kevins car on the highway. wierd mid-high RPM breakup. i was frustrated that we couldnt fix it.

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2011, 02:33 PM
@ SDAC. tuning kevins car on the highway. wierd mid-high RPM breakup. i was frustrated that we couldnt fix it.

No, no, say what at your quote, "simon style fail" :(

DodgeZ
01-17-2011, 04:06 PM
No, no, say what at your quote, "simon style fail" :(

You know what he means. Don't get your feelings hurt.

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2011, 04:49 PM
You know what he means. Don't get your feelings hurt.

No, actually, I don't know what he means. Feelings aren't hurt, far from it.

Aries_Turbo
01-17-2011, 05:02 PM
look at my sig. it was one of those deals. 2wk thrash for kevin to get the car together with unproven parts, running on a base cal, improper datalogging methods (none really lol) and hammering the car on the freeway between exits.

it was a "hey wanna do some tuning?"

"sure, do you have XXXX, and XXXX, and XXXX?

"no"

"ok, lets go"

thats a simon style fail if i ever heard of one.

:)

Brian

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2011, 05:31 PM
look at my sig. it was one of those deals. 2wk thrash for kevin to get the car together with unproven parts, running on a base cal, improper datalogging methods (none really lol) and hammering the car on the freeway between exits.

it was a "hey wanna do some tuning?"

"sure, do you have XXXX, and XXXX, and XXXX?

"no"

"ok, lets go"

thats a simon style fail if i ever heard of one.

:)

Brian

Aw come on, that's not nice, :mecry:

At least I have gauges, :p

cordes
01-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Aw come on, that's not nice, :mecry:

At least I have gauges, :p

A narrow band doesn't count.;)

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2011, 09:34 PM
A narrow band doesn't count.;)

I have both, :p

cordes
01-17-2011, 09:58 PM
I have both, :p

You have made quantum leaps. I'll give you that.

Aries_Turbo
01-17-2011, 10:39 PM
oh we had gauges.... boost gauge and an analog gauge wideband that we didnt have the backlight bulb so i was aiming my cellphone flash/light into the bulb hole to see lol.

at least we had a laptop and a ostrich. :)

Brian

risen
01-17-2011, 10:43 PM
oh we had gauges.... boost gauge and an analog gauge wideband that we didnt have the backlight bulb so i was aiming my cellphone flash/light into the bulb hole to see lol.

Brian
On the one hand, so far advanced, but on the other, still in the stone age. :) The irony of illuminating an analog gauge with a cell phone is hilarious.

Aries_Turbo
01-17-2011, 10:51 PM
that light on the phone is a lifesaver. its my work phone though... whenever it dies, the replacement doesnt have a light... im going to be screwed! or carry a flashlight all the time.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
01-21-2011, 08:38 PM

Brian

Yeah, well my SES light works, and its LED, so pfft, :p

And I have a laptop and Ostrich, and a home computer too, :nod:

OmniLuvr
01-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Buckwheat, so you said you "keep" breaking ringlands, has it happend more than once? was it the same piston? was it piston #3?

where did you get the +40 inj from and where they new?

are you running a bath tub or a swirl head??? and where was it ported? what size valves?