PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injector Body leak

bfarroo
01-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Has anyone else has issues with the body of the fuel injector leaking between the metal and plastic part. I had one in my spirit start leaking, Originally I assumed that the o-ring was bad So I got a set and replaced them. After starting the car back up there was still a leak and further investigation found the injector leaking from the body between the injector plug and mid section. I had a set of TII injectors that I pulled from my shadow last year when I switched to +40's They were all in working order when removed. I installed this set as the design was a little different than the ones that came out, started the car and two of them leaked. I pulled another set out of a 89 Shelby Z motor I had sitting on the stand and those were fine. I'm guessing theres some sort of seal in them that can dry up or something? Makes me leary about leaving the 20 year old injectors in the car if there's a chance of them randomly leaking gas.

4 l-bodies
01-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Yes I have. It was on another non TD application though. Same thing as yours. Leaked at the body of injector plastic. Mine started leaking on a car that was driving on a daily basis. Could be yet another sign of crappy fuel that is being formulated these days. I'm using non oxygenated fuel in all of my infrequently driven vehicles for the past few years. As well as all small gas engines.
I've been rebuilding carbs for motorcycles, classic cars, tractors, small gas engines at an alarming rate the last few years. There was a time when I hadn't touched a carb for any of these for many, many, years. Now it's been like someone opened the floodgates. This coincides with oxygenated fuel formulation and increased ethanol content. Something has changed for the worse in the fuel we use.
Todd

bfarroo
01-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a definite possibility. I've really noticed the difference in fuels on small engines. My small 2 cycle weedeater wouldn't run unless you ran it on half choke and fully warmed it up. Talking with a friend he said to buy a gallon of 93 octane as the high octane fuels here have no ethonol. Mixed that up and the thing runs like new. I was ready to buy a new one thinking the motor was going. I guess it's just another thing we're going to have to live with. I guess it's a good time to upgrade to some +40 for the Spirit if I'm going to buy new injectors anyway.

turbovanmanČ
01-07-2011, 02:48 PM
I've had some TM injectors do it, Ford 5.0's and 5.8's of yesteryear were bad for it and my neighbour just had his 4.0L Cherokee do it but its been sitting for a few years. Throw them away, :(

rich tideswell
01-07-2011, 10:53 PM
these guys rebuild for$20

http://www.perfectpowerusa.com/page/page/2002517.htm

turbovanmanČ
01-07-2011, 11:08 PM
these guys rebuild for$20

http://www.perfectpowerusa.com/page/page/2002517.htm

If there leaking, you can't fix them.

jckrieger
09-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Has anyone tried to have the internal seals repaired in our injectors? 2 of my +40's are leaking and I'm not sure I want to buy new ones because they're likely going to be old stock with the same issue.