PDA

View Full Version : 2-3 Shifting problem with my Beater neon Auto

Sgt Craig
01-06-2011, 08:32 PM
My beater neon when stone cold will not Shift into 3rd until It warms up and i completely back off the pedal.Ive Adjust the throttle cable,adjusted kickdown band,Flushed trans(ATF4),No coolant in the fluid.It shifts fine once warm.I havent dropped the pan yet.Anyone have any ideas?Thanks in advance.

Aries_Turbo
01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
yeah mine does a similar thing.

when its summer it will take a little bit to shift into 3.

when its cold, it will seem to bump into neutral and then shift into 3.

i just leave it in 2 till i get a mile from the house and then its fine.

Brian

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

oh yeah, what year is the car? mine is a 97.

now my wifes is a 98 and has 200k on the original trans and only flares a little into 3rd when its cold but i havent done the band adjustments ever.

Brian

black86glhs
01-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Is there a trans temp sensor on the Neons? Or could it be a sensor that isn't working right in the cold? Looking at live data when cold might be able to find it.

Sgt Craig
01-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Is there a trans temp sensor on the Neons? Or could it be a sensor that isn't working right in the cold? Looking at live data when cold might be able to find it.

No sensors on it other than Neutral safety/reverse lights and TCC sol.Its a 98

RoadWarrior222
01-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Seems like that's always been a feature of torqueflites and derived designs with a few miles on them. I'd just adjust the bands, put some lucas tranny fix in it, and pound on it a bit.

black86glhs
01-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Maybe 1 or 2 of the valve in the VB are sticking?

Aries_Turbo
01-06-2011, 10:53 PM
yeah it does sound like maybe the governor is sticking a little (late shift).

and for me, the 2nd half of the gearchange is sticking a little. i cant remember the sequence for 2-3. release a band and apply a clutch or something like that. or maybe the opposite.

mine is fine once i get down the road less than a mile from my house. once it shifts 2x, its fine.

Brian

black86glhs
01-06-2011, 11:33 PM
yeah it does sound like maybe the governor is sticking a little (late shift).

and for me, the 2nd half of the gearchange is sticking a little. i cant remember the sequence for 2-3. release a band and apply a clutch or something like that. or maybe the opposite.

mine is fine once i get down the road less than a mile from my house. once it shifts 2x, its fine.

Brian
Oh yeah, I forget about the governor. I guess not having a 413 equipped car can cause memory lapse. lol

Sgt Craig
01-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Already did that,lol.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

When I get a free Sat ill drop the pan and check out the valve body.Other than a pan gasket anything else I should get?

RoadWarrior222
01-07-2011, 09:33 PM
yeah, a 50mm x 6mm rod, a 6mm ball bearing, a set of drillbits and a #25 TX bit.... may as well shift-kit it :D

turbovanmanČ
01-07-2011, 10:40 PM
If it does it cold, most likely its the clutch seals, they've become hard and it takes some heat for them to become pliable and seal. Try the Lucas crap, drop the pan, do the valve body mods and that's all you can do until you take it apart and replace the clutch seals.

black86glhs
01-07-2011, 11:31 PM
If it does it cold, most likely its the clutch seals, they've become hard and it takes some heat for them to become pliable and seal. Try the Lucas crap, drop the pan, do the valve body mods and that's all you can do until you take it apart and replace the clutch seals.
Hell, just add an ounce of brake fluid to help swell the seals. J/K.....don't.:eyebrows:

Sgt Craig
01-08-2011, 12:35 AM
I did that on my 89 Turbo Auto Van.It worked for a bit.

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2011, 03:58 AM
Hell, just add an ounce of brake fluid to help swell the seals. J/K.....don't.:eyebrows:

How would brake fluid swell the seals? If it did, the braking system would never work, lol, :confused:

Ask me what happens to a very expensive ABS system when you add a teaspoon of oil by accident, :banghead:

Aries_Turbo
01-08-2011, 11:25 AM
brake fluid seals are designed to be in contact with brake fluid. you hit other types of seals with brake fluid that isnt designed to be in contact with it, they swell.

Brian

22shelby
01-08-2011, 11:32 AM
brake fluid seals are designed to be in contact with brake fluid. you hit other types of seals with brake fluid that isnt designed to be in contact with it, they swell.

Brian

yep!! old trick... but more of a get you home trick....

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2011, 02:16 PM

Brian

I honestly didn't know that, I am going to try that today, :nod:

Sgt Craig
01-08-2011, 05:27 PM
I honestly didn't know that, I am going to try that today, :nod:

It got my 89 Van around for a few weeks of short trips.Trans had to come out anyway as it was a 3 bolt flexplate trans.

Sgt Craig
01-09-2011, 11:27 AM

Thats what ive been afraid of it is.Ill still check out the VB anyway in a few weeks.If the that doesnt work Ill drive it until spring and get it rebuilt.Thanks for the help and info guys!

Aries_Turbo
01-09-2011, 02:05 PM
im just going to leave mine alone. i work around the problem. :)

turbovanmanČ
01-09-2011, 08:24 PM
im just going to leave mine alone. i work around the problem. :)

Tow truck? Bicycle?

Aries_Turbo
01-09-2011, 09:27 PM
simon, my neon has been this way for a long while. you just gotta know how its going to behave and not hammer it when its not engaging properly.

i just took the car on a 600mi trip. its fine. just baby it while its cold and you can then hammer the car. i do every day.

my wifes old car has been slow to engage 3 for 100,000 miles when its cold. its sitting out front in the driveway as the emergency car. if my wifes current car (forester) has issues or my 97 neon decides to puke, we'll grab the 98 neon that has 200k on the original 2.0 dohc and 3 speed. it has (10) 8ft long 2x4's in it though.... id have to unload them first. i took it to the lumber yard the other day to keep the fluids circulated. :)

Brian

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

when i still had my 3.0L/604 white k car, it lost 4th gear. i drove it that way for almost a year. just keep it in 2 (k car column shift) and it was fine. revved a little high but it wasnt bad.

i had another 3-speed k car that the trans was insanely bad when cold. didnt want to shift, dropped into neutral between gears etc, i drove it like that for 10k miles.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
01-10-2011, 02:33 AM
It was a joke, I know how to nurse broken shitt, lol. :p

black86glhs
01-10-2011, 02:59 AM
How would brake fluid swell the seals? If it did, the braking system would never work, lol, :confused:

Ask me what happens to a very expensive ABS system when you add a teaspoon of oil by accident, :banghead:See below....lol.

BrianWERD!!!!

yep!! old trick... but more of a get you home trick....Surprising how well it works.

turbovanmanČ
01-10-2011, 03:25 AM
I soaked an o-ring in brake fluid, we'll see what it looks like tomorrow. :p

Aries_Turbo
01-10-2011, 03:06 PM
It was a joke, I know how to nurse broken shitt, lol. :p

oh.... shoulda used a smiley to indicate a joke. :)

Brian