PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust: 4 into 1 tube header for 2.4l

Shadow
01-06-2011, 07:16 PM
This header is off of an SRT-4 2.4l. has about 12000kms (7000miles?) on it. I believe it was 1200.00 or so when bought new, can't remeber what all came with, but we made a custom brkt to support the turbo because we thought it couldn't hurt. (never came with one, said it didn't need it) 800.00 shipped

Shadow
01-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Figured I should give a little background on this piece. I'm guessing the heat coating is some kind of Jet black high heat coating? I remember when we first installed it on the car, I ws totally expecting the mat black finish to burn off after the first few pulls into boost. Whatever it is, it's extreamly durable, only signs of it coming through are on the underside. Can't tell if it's the coating changing colour or wearing off (I would guess changing color/hardening?)

I'm also guessing this is schedual 20-30 SS? (guess I could measure it)Never seen a spec of rust on it inside or out. Flange has some small scuffs down to bare steel and there are a few small scratches through on some of the pipes, but not even surface rust, and this after sitting in the shop for over a year.

When we first put this piece on, it lasted for a couple months and the W/G tube cracked through. (obviously from vibration and having to hold the weight of the W/G + dump tube) We send it back for warranty, and while they were pretty good with time (I think it took 4-5wks? From Cali if I'm not mistaken) 4-5 months later it started to crack again, in a different spot.

At this point I took it upon myself to solve the obvious problem of not having supported the W/G tube properly. Not sure if you can tell by the pics, but there is a Rod that extends out from the turbo mounting flange to the W/G flange. When we first recieved it, that's all that was supporting the W/G!

When they did the first repair (right at the hard bend of the W/G pipe) they also welded the pipe to one of the runners to give it more support. (whole pipe was completly floating before) Looked good when it came back.

But obviously the whole thing needed supporting because it started cracking further out on the pipe. (1/2 way between the hard bend that was already repaired and the W/G flange)

I ended up welding the support rod solid to the W/G pipe on the one side and then made a small piece of 1/8" thick SS to fill in the other side so the W/G flange would be solid.

Header was on the car for 2 years after that and about 8000kms without issue. Also, I ended up using VHT high heat black on the repair area, seemed to match the original finish and has lasted very well. (maybe this is all you need over stainless?)

This header was on a stock longblock - balance shafts + DRC top end oil moddifier with an SC61 turbo with .63 A/R stage 3 wheel. Car made over 500WHP @ 27psi and was full spool 4th gear around 35-3600rpm, this on a journal bearing turbo.

Before the header, same set-up with AGP log (early style) car made 48XWHP @ 29-30PSI and was full spool 4th gear around 38-3900rpm.

Also, this header was built to clear the big 4" race comp cover, which is why the flange is set on a slight angle, so you can run your 4" CAI to it.

turbovanmanČ
01-07-2011, 02:53 PM
I'd be all over that if it was around $400, :p

Perfect for the van, :nod:

Shadow
01-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I'd be all over that if it was around $400, :p

Perfect for the van, :nod:

Your running a 2.4 now?

turbovanmanČ
01-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Nope, cut the flange off, weld my TIII flange on, new header, :nod:

Shadow
01-07-2011, 03:19 PM
So brkt and flange would be useless to you + work you would put in and you would be willing to pay 400.00. OK. At least that makes me feel like I'm ITBP on the price! :)

turbovanmanČ
01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
$800 is a good deal, we are just cheap, lol. :p