PDA

View Full Version : hybrid head w/FM distributor

Turbo Joe
12-31-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm in the process of mocking up everything for a hybrid 2.2
now of coarse there are things that need to be modified but one thing that has me stumped and put the brakes on my hybrid project is my FM tall distributor i have. the problem is the dist. cap ends up partially blocking
2 intake ports. I run a fast ems so thats why on the dist swap. any sug?
:confused: :(

BadAssPerformance
12-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Switch to a magnetic crank trigger.

Khajjathefang
12-31-2005, 02:40 PM
or move the distributor to the cam

Turbo Joe
01-01-2006, 08:34 PM
there's a crank trigger kit availible? as far as the cam mount goes
i need some info on that, like the gear you'll need to mount to the cam, ect.

BadAssPerformance
01-01-2006, 09:57 PM
MSD makes one... you'll need to fab it to fit your crank pulley tho.

Cliff Ramsdell
01-02-2006, 01:31 PM
OK, what year electronics are you running? What platform and year vehicle do you have?

The tall distributor was last used in the '84 and '85 turbo cars and in '86 a new distributor went into use and is a shorter setup.

I have built three hybrid motors and all use the '86 and later distributor in the block and clear the head and intake. You need to remove a small block of material on the head and clearance the intake flange but it works just fine and you can get the full range of adjustment from the distributor.

If your still running the '85 computer, swap the distributor and install an '86/'87 GLHS computer in your car.

Cliff Ramsdell
Treasurer, NESDAC
'86 GLHS 210 Shelby Posi and Shelby Roll Cage
'29 Model A, 239 flathead V-8, 3 speed
Mopartek@aol.com
http://www.members.aol.com/mopartek/home.html

"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting...Holy ----!! What a Ride!!"

I'm in the process of mocking up everything for a hybrid 2.2
now of coarse there are things that need to be modified but one thing that has me stumped and put the brakes on my hybrid project is my FM tall distributor i have. the problem is the dist. cap ends up partially blocking
2 intake ports. I run a fast ems so thats why on the dist swap. any sug?
:confused: :(

BadAssPerformance
01-02-2006, 03:07 PM
OK, what year electronics are you running? ... The tall distributor was last used in the '84 and '85 turbo cars and in '86 a new distributor went into use and is a shorter setup.

In the 1st post he says he's using the FM (Forward Motion) tall distrbutor and is running the FAST system. That FM distributor sticks up a couple inches past deck height.

Turbo Joe
01-02-2006, 05:40 PM
does anyone have pics or info on how to modify/install a crank trigger kit?
I know i can figure out a way but the more idea's i get the better the set up will turn out. i figue so far installing the crank trigger wheel 1st and put the
pully on over it? fab up a bracket and walla.sound good? input?

BadAssPerformance
01-02-2006, 06:06 PM
It might be easier to attach it to the outside face of the crank pulley.

Omniboy
01-09-2006, 09:37 AM
http://portfolio.iu.edu/ealucas/16VALVE/index.html

here is how I mounted my distributor

87 charger
01-14-2006, 10:39 AM
I am interested in both of these ideas. I am the kinda guy where a picture helps alot.My question is omniboy did you have to fab that plate to mount the distributor ? Also if you did what was the thickness of the plate ect ?

Now for the other option
Crank trigger ignition ? HOW do you do that ? Is there a site showing pictures and a write up on that ? Also what electronics do you have to use ? I have no idea how to use a megasquirt. I did see a VW bug with a megasquirt along with a chrysler turbo on it ! I tried to figure it out by looking at it. I know I ask a lot of questions,but thats why I am here. :nod: :nod:

Omniboy
01-16-2006, 11:44 AM
It was a 1/2 inch plate. The cam however will drive the distributor in reverse direction. you need to move the pick up windows by gringing off the plastic rivets and remount it one hole rotation back. Then just swap you trigger wires and you home free. works great and with stock minivan electroics and a custom cal for you smec.

Omniboy
01-16-2006, 11:48 AM
I see you don't live to far from me. If you would like to borrow my plate and distributor to make a copy your are more than welcome. I have the van in whiteland indiana. I live in nineveh indiana near nashville indiana by brown county so its not to far of a drive for you. I could take the plate and distributor off and have it at my house if you would like to come get it. Then you could do a write up on it. I'm not good with that kind of stuffs.

hybridshadow
10-31-2006, 01:18 AM
get the short distributor