PDA

View Full Version : Ported/Polished Turbo Head

89Aries
01-04-2011, 05:28 PM
I purchased a ported/polished turbo head from a vendor and instead of having four turbo exhaust valves, it had two turbo and two non turbo valves. Is this ok to use? How critical is it to use only turbo valves? I run a T1 to T2 converted 2.2 intercooled with 13 psi. Thanks

Orangetona
01-04-2011, 06:20 PM
I wouldnt.

johnl
01-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Ditto that

Spr-T-23
01-04-2011, 09:46 PM
i hear they melt

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

good catch though

89Aries
01-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Ok, two are stamped with a T, one has a diamond with an o in the middle, the other is blank. Supposedly from what I was told the blank one is a mopar performance turbo valve, stock size, and the diamond with o is some sort of aftermarket valve that can also handle turbo... Does it sound like bs?

shadow88
01-11-2011, 11:40 PM
I have seen very few factory T stamped valves. The MP backcut valves have no markings of any kind. As far as aftermarket, We have no way of knowing.

Why aren't you taking this up with the vendor?

135sohc
01-12-2011, 12:53 AM
magnet test on the stem. 'moparzrule' posted a video of it.

turbovanmanČ
01-12-2011, 02:37 AM
Exactly, use a magnet, some don't have any markings. If its ported and polished, it should have +1mm valves anyhow, lol. :p

Vid of magnet test-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?34611-How-to-tell-if-exhaust-valves-are-turbo-or-not&highlight=magnet

89Aries
01-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Good to know, I have spoken to the vendor about this and they reassured me everything is turbo-spec. I just want to be sure for my own piece of mind that I have the right parts in my car. I tryed testing with a magnet but I didn't really know what I was looking for. Thanks for the input though.

RoadWarrior222
01-13-2011, 12:37 PM
The magnet test isn't very definitive for a single random valve, it's useful only when you have a TBI valve and Turbo valve to compare ON THE SAME MAGNET... because you'll be able to hold up or drag around a turbo valve all you like with a neodymium magnet, or one of the newer high strength ceramic ones. However since you did have two valves stamped T, then feeling for the same degree of attraction between the magnet on those and the unmarked valves should give you some idea.

89Aries
01-18-2011, 10:47 PM
I purchased this ported head from Cindy at FWD Performance for $600 with the clear understanding that it would include four factory turbo exhaust valves. Instead I received a ported head with mismatched valves, this being the mystery valve. One of the blank ones I was told is mopar performance, but who's to say because it's blank. When asked why it was sent to me like this i was told it was taped up and she didn't really notice. I find this interesting because I start to trust this head less and less. I mean who's to say what else is wrong with it? Even still, being different valve types will alter flow characteristics to the combustion chambers, running some cylinders leaner and others richer. I'm not trying to throw FWD under the bus, but I have some questions about it.

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Post up some pics if you don't mind. If the valves are almost identical, I bet the cylinders won't even notice.

T-Bohn
01-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Ported head for 600?? That seems inexpensive....Maybe this is why it's so cheap.

Was that the deal??

89Aries
01-18-2011, 11:34 PM
I don't know how to post up pics on here, otherwise i will. And the deal was 600 for a ported/polished head, i said i needed a head with turbo valves and she had this around and she sent it to me. It was not until after i recieved it i found out the valves were mismatched... this was not told to me ahead of time.

glhs727
01-19-2011, 12:41 AM
geez... are we still debating this? Just because a valve does NOT have a "T" on it, does not mean it is not a turbo valve!! I even sent pictures of the other mopar valves, the MP backcut valve, and the stock replacement (with the diamond manufacturer stamp) to show that these were mopar turbo valves. The fact is that they have ALL been backcut, and ALL the valves have been given the same angle valve job. Just because all four valves don't have the T stamped does in no way diminish their performance.
BTW the blue spot on the second valve is just a factory paint mark....
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/srt403/fwdpictures1878.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/srt403/fwdpictures1877.jpg

89Aries
01-19-2011, 12:56 AM
The only reason I still bring it up is because I've had a lot of people post up here and say they wouldn't use that head unless it has matching valves in it or that I should change it out asap. I may be a pain about this issue but I take pride in my car and I don't want to put it to chance, especially since I'm relatively new to the TD world and there's a lot that I don't know. That little bit of insurance, knowing that I have matching T stamped valves, would have made me completely comfortable with the issue. Maybe I should have just asked for pictures.

glhs727
01-19-2011, 01:03 AM
OK, if it makes you feel better, send me the head back, and I will put in two more stock valves that have a "t" stamped on them...... or just send it back for a refund (purchase price minus the cost to clean it since it currently installed in your car).
Seriously for other people reading this thread, NOT all turbo valves have a T stamped on them. In fact most do not, so do not let this be your sole criteria for determining a turbo valve from a non turbo valve.
The only reason people told you not to use it is because you stated in the first post that it had two non turbo valves in it. If you said the head had 4 turbo valves in it (which it does), but only 2 were stamped with a "t", you probably would have gotten a much different response.
later,
Cindy

Juggy
01-19-2011, 02:15 AM
good 2 know. i got a head here goin on with the same deal. it has 2 T stamped valves, and 1 diamond one, i think the other has nothing on it.....
anyway to verify that the different valves as being for turbo app??

turbovanmanČ
01-19-2011, 04:10 AM
OK, if it makes you feel better, send me the head back, and I will put in two more stock valves that have a "t" stamped on them...... or just send it back for a refund (purchase price minus the cost to clean it since it currently installed in your car).
Seriously for other people reading this thread, NOT all turbo valves have a T stamped on them. In fact most do not, so do not let this be your sole criteria for determining a turbo valve from a non turbo valve.
The only reason people told you not to use it is because you stated in the first post that it had two non turbo valves in it. If you said the head had 4 turbo valves in it (which it does), but only 2 were stamped with a "t", you probably would have gotten a much different response.
later,
Cindy

Exactly, we've covered it that not ALL valves have T, Cindy's offer is very gracious.

good 2 know. i got a head here goin on with the same deal. it has 2 T stamped valves, and 1 diamond one, i think the other has nothing on it.....
anyway to verify that the different valves as being for turbo app??

Seriously, are you shitting us? I posted up a vid on how to tell earlier, :banghead:

shackwrrr
01-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Seriously, are you shitting us? I posted up a vid on how to tell earlier, :banghead:

lol you can say that no problem but we can't say radiator pet----.

89Aries
01-19-2011, 09:03 AM
No probs guys thanks for the input, apologies to Cindy, next time I will try to do my research before jumping to conclusions.

shackwrrr
01-19-2011, 11:08 AM
No probs guys thanks for the input, apologies to Cindy, next time I will try to do my research before jumping to conclusions.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/large/office_space_kit_mat.jpg

Orangetona
01-19-2011, 01:43 PM
The only reason I still bring it up is because I've had a lot of people post up here and say they wouldn't use that head unless it has matching valves in it or that I should change it out asap. I may be a pain about this issue but I take pride in my car and I don't want to put it to chance, especially since I'm relatively new to the TD world and there's a lot that I don't know. That little bit of insurance, knowing that I have matching T stamped valves, would have made me completely comfortable with the issue. Maybe I should have just asked for pictures.

When I said "I wouldnt" I said I wouldnt because you said they were NOT turbo valves in there. I assumed you knew. Seeing what I see now changes it.

turbovanmanČ
01-19-2011, 02:39 PM
lol you can say that no problem but we can't say radiator pet----.

Its how you spell it, lol. You can say shitt, but not ----, :p.

I know, petc*ck, WTF? :banghead:

ShadowFromHell
01-21-2011, 11:28 AM

I don't think you jumped to conclusions at all. I have bought parts from vendors, and had the wrong one show up. I had ordered a piston for a 2.2, and I got one for a 2.5. When I called the vendor to get things straighted out they told me I must have a 2.5, if the piston they sent is different then the rest of the ones I have, because they KNEW they sent the right piston. I did some more research (and asked on the forums) and I did have a 2.2 like I thought, and the vendor had sent me one for a 2.5. Don't be afraid to ask questions! I would think it was odd to get a brand new head, and the valves not match. I would ask questions! Its better to have asked, then have a issue down the road with a valve failing! Cindy I can see why you are upset also, don't get me wrong. But is it a common practice to send a head out this way? If I payed good money for a rebuilt/ported head, I would be a little upset to get it and it have different valves in it.

turbovanmanČ
01-21-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't think you jumped to conclusions at all. I have bought parts from vendors, and had the wrong one show up. I had ordered a piston for a 2.2, and I got one for a 2.5. When I called the vendor to get things straighted out they told me I must have a 2.5, if the piston they sent is different then the rest of the ones I have, because they KNEW they sent the right piston. I did some more research (and asked on the forums) and I did have a 2.2 like I thought, and the vendor had sent me one for a 2.5. Don't be afraid to ask questions! I would think it was odd to get a brand new head, and the valves not match. I would ask questions! Its better to have asked, then have a issue down the road with a valve failing! Cindy I can see why you are upset also, don't get me wrong. But is it a common practice to send a head out this way? If I payed good money for a rebuilt/ported head, I would be a little upset to get it and it have different valves in it.

He could have taken it up with said vendor FIRST, then posted up here. Honestly, I am tired of guys jumping the gun when you can pick up the god damn phone and call. It seems today that even though everyone has cel phones, that no one actually uses one for its intended purpose? :confused: IF said vendor didn't satisfy you, then post up asking questions.

What's wrong with mixing and matching valves? Sure you could put all new ones in but if the other ones are mint, why waste money and throw away perfectly good parts?

No disrespect to the thread starter.

glhs727
01-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Most of the times we sell the stage 2 and stage 3 heads. Those always come with NEW aftermarket valves etc.... My head guy had some free time and ported a couple of swirls, and set them up with the spare valves, springs from stock turbo head parts that we had there because we had upgraded. Hence why I gave Nick about $150 discount on the head.
Whem we get them back the surface area is taped up to help prevent any scratches in transport. Nick asked if the valves were marked with a T. I pulled the tape off one side and saw the marking and told him yes, then put the tape back. I did not peel off all the tape from all 4 cylinders. When Nick first called and asked, I told him to send it back if he had worries. I also asked him to send pictures. After I received the pictures, I went into the warehouse and pulled NEW mopar valves exactly like what he had in the pictures to confirm again that they were turbo valves and PN's. I already knew they would be turbo because those are the only heads my guy has seen from me..... but I wanted Nick to know what they were so he could feel confident in the running the head. Even then I said I would take the head back if he had reservations.
I'm not upset, I just don't think we need to continue beating a dead horse.....

moparman76_69
01-21-2011, 01:18 PM
http://archive.perfectduluthday.com/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

89Aries
01-21-2011, 10:08 PM

Thank you!!! Someone understands! I feel that generally you don't send a part out that has been gone over with mismatched parts. It makes me feel iffy about it.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

He could have taken it up with said vendor FIRST, then posted up here. Honestly, I am tired of guys jumping the gun when you can pick up the god damn phone and call. It seems today that even though everyone has cel phones, that no one actually uses one for its intended purpose? :confused: IF said vendor didn't satisfy you, then post up asking questions.

What's wrong with mixing and matching valves? Sure you could put all new ones in but if the other ones are mint, why waste money and throw away perfectly good parts?

No disrespect to the thread starter.

I did call on a few different occasions, and I now understand where everyone's coming from. Dead Horse, Beaten.