PDA

View Full Version : Transmission is presumed junk, so is clutch

shackwrrr
12-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Driving home for Christmas right before I got home my clutch started to act a little funny and would slip at the very top of 5th gear, I shrugged it off as it needed adjusted because feeling the pedal I didnt have any free play. Today was the next time I drove it and after I adjusted it, the clutch still slipped. My next stop when I came back out I looked it over and I noticed that the clutch was covered in oil and the holes in the bellhousing were all wet. When I looked underneath there was a nice puddle of oil about 6 in in diameter. I checked it out and the oil had the same color as antiseeze. I checked the engine oil thinking it was the rear main, but I then pulled the fill plug on the tranny and it is definitely coming from the transmission. Before the trip I checked the transmisson oil and it was nice, clear, and level with the bottom of the plug. So I am guessing the input shaft bearing is gone taking out the seal, BUT the trans doesn't make any noises or act weird at all, just an oily slipping :mad::mad::mad::mad: 6 month old TU 4 puck :mad::mad::mad: and silver oil.

Not sure if the clutch can be saved since its ceramic but I doubt it. So what could have happened??

85boostbox
12-27-2010, 09:54 PM
my guss is the seal and the silvery substance is the clutch material on the oil from it slipping. Only way to tell is to remove the trans and inspect. Probably just a seal and a new clutch. Sry for the luck.

shackwrrr
12-27-2010, 10:00 PM
my guss is the seal and the silvery substance is the clutch material on the oil from it slipping. Only way to tell is to remove the trans and inspect. Probably just a seal and a new clutch. Sry for the luck.

I checked the oil in the transmission and the silver oil is inside too.

85boostbox
12-27-2010, 10:02 PM
ohh than yea remove and inspect for damage

tryingbe
12-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Transmission is most likely toast. You maybe able to save the clutch.

Spr-T-23
12-27-2010, 11:48 PM
post: Tranny wanted, with clean fluid in it, most gears must work, cheap to free

Juggy
12-27-2010, 11:54 PM
i have a 555 trans i may be able to get rid of fairly cheap ;)
does your 568 case happen to have been from an r/t car??

shackwrrr
12-28-2010, 12:07 AM
It is from a 91 R/T. Im not sure if I could do much with a 555. I would probably have as much in cables and a shifter as a low mileage 3.77 523 along with a different clutch. Right now I think I am going to hold off fixing it so I can get settled in a job and have somewhere to work on the car. I will probably go with a 3.77 523 and get an OBX. I have a few other things that need me to pull the engine to fix so it will just all happen at the same time. For the time being, its in town driveable.