PDA

View Full Version : anyone work with newer chrysler computers?

88shadowpjct
12-23-2010, 12:09 AM
i wasn't sure where to post this, if it is in the wrong place, i appologize and if someone could move it to the appropriate place that would be very helpful!

i have an 05 wrangler with the 4.0L and i have the infamous o2 sensor codes. i need to get this thing to pass inspection by the end of this month or i lose the jeep. it was on a lease, now it is financed by the bank and if it doesnt pass inspection, i can't re-new the registration. i cant take the jeep off the road or else they will take the jeep.

it comes down to the cats being bad.

i do not have the money to drop on new cats right now and i have a feeling the o2 sensor spacers wont work.

here's my idea... what if i flash the computer to change the parameters of the downstream o2 sensors? that way it will not throw the CEL because as far as the computer knows, the o2 sensors are sending the correct voltage that is "required". so when i bring it to be inspected, they plug it in, no CEL and the computer says everything is working the way it should... now..... does anyone know of anyone who can flash these computers? i am in western MA

thanks,
nick

Shadowv4l
12-23-2010, 12:38 AM
well..... in PA there is always "No communication", Pull the OBD diag cord from the emissions machine, this will get you through at least one more year. Also in PA there is a waiver but you gotta spend money towards your emissions repair in order to be granted one.
Also, are your O2 sensors OEM design or shitty Aftermarket? I work on these vehicles all day long and i will never install an aftermarket O2 sensor, I have seen vehicles reject these sensors too many times, also the Chrysler Training centers advise you never to use aftermarkets, the system is very "touchy, picky"
Also, remember the upstream O2s have to be working properly since both up and down streams work together to determine CAT condition. I've seen Downstream O2 codes caused by upstream sensors, same goes for Cat efficiency codes. What are the codes or Do you have the P code#'s so i can do some research?
The newer style CATs that are built into the exhaust pipes aren't a common failure unless your vehicle has been harming them, they are also very expensive prolly for this reason.

ShelGame
12-23-2010, 08:21 AM
How many miles are on it? Chrysler is required by law to warranty emissions equipment for 8/80k. Doesn't matter if the cats are bad or if the sensors are bad - they have to replace them. Sounds like you're the original owner, so I don't see how they can get out of it (unless you just turned over 80,001 miles yesterday...).

glhs0426
12-23-2010, 12:14 PM
If the downstream has been replaced and the upstream is old then it can cause a catalyst efficiency code. I think the 2005 had two converters which would equate to four oxygen sensors. The code numbers are needed.

tommyturbo
12-23-2010, 01:52 PM
the question I have is this, as long as you pay the payment, regardless of if it passes an inspection or not, why would they take your jeep?

turbovanmanČ
12-23-2010, 02:39 PM
What are your codes? And as Shelgame said, its most likely under warranty still.

If your over in mileage and you are getting the cat dead codes, then I would try the rear sensor eliminators, they do work.

88shadowpjct
12-29-2010, 09:12 PM
P0421 and P0431 warm up catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1 and 2 i know you cant use aftermarket o2 sensors in em. i work at autozone and every time someone comes in for an o2 sensor for a jeep i tell them not to buy it, go buy a chrysler one. manager doesnt like it, but i'd rather someone fix their jeep than buy the wrong parts and waste money. i put spacers on the rear o2's to get it to pass today and on my way home from inspectin the light came back on. its not an emergency that i fix it anymore but i would still like to.
yes they have 8/80 on emissions....... i have 85,xxx on the jeep now. and i got it from bertera in westfield, MA. they will not fix anything that place is the worst run business i have ever dealt with.
dealers have been replacing cats like crazy.. so much that they are on back order and there is about a 2 month waiting list people are on to get their replacements.