PDA

View Full Version : New thought

Khajjathefang
12-31-2005, 12:31 AM
i was wondering about using my current 87 T2 block (t2 rods, JEs, cast crank) instead of building up my 89 t2 block. if i go this route i'd of course add arp rod bolts and most likely SMP 4 bolt mains. and maybe have some material welded into the coolant passages around the cylinders to prevent a failure similar to russ's

this would really speed up my turn around time (not to mention save me a bootload of money in rotating parts :thumb: )
thoughts?

Khajjathefang
12-31-2005, 01:29 AM
another thought, anyone know offhand what the compression ratio would be with 2.2 JE's?

cordes
12-31-2005, 10:43 AM
The 89+ blocks, are supposedly so much stronger that I cant see using the earlier blocks as it would take much more work to get them to the same starting point as the 89+ blocks.

T. Lebaron
12-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Yep. The common block (89) with the forged crank is the best way to go when building a 2.2

My96z
01-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Well I think all you need to do is just get another crank and get the common block machined to the parts you have, then swap em'

Jeff

Khajjathefang
01-01-2006, 02:06 AM
eh, problem is if i build a new block im gonna go crazy, grp's, forged and cryo'ed everything etc. well im gonna have plenty of time to think about it anyway :(

Cliff Ramsdell
01-02-2006, 01:46 PM
One thing to think about is the timing belt. The '89 and later motors use the round tooth sprockets and with the adjustable sprockets you use the T249 timing belt.

You would need to fabricate new square tooth adjustable sprockets and find another suitable belt that is the correct length, tooth count and tooth pattern.

The later sprockets won't fit the early crank nose of the 2.2 motors because of different diameters where the sprocket is pressed on.

Cliff Ramsdell
The Transmission Authority
Treasurer, NESDAC
'86 GLHS 210 Shelby Posi and Shelby Roll Cage
'29 Model A, 239 flathead V-8, 3 speed
Mopartek@aol.com

"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting...Holy ----!! What a Ride!!"

i was wondering about using my current 87 T2 block (t2 rods, JEs, cast crank) instead of building up my 89 t2 block. if i go this route i'd of course add arp rod bolts and most likely SMP 4 bolt mains. and maybe have some material welded into the coolant passages around the cylinders to prevent a failure similar to russ's

this would really speed up my turn around time (not to mention save me a bootload of money in rotating parts :thumb: )
thoughts?

mo' parts
01-07-2006, 10:36 PM
wasnt there a round tooth sprocket for a 2.5 in 88?
i think you might be able to adapt the commonblock front seal housing(drilling and tapping) to the early block and use the common block crank.
someone correct me if im wrong...i
i am planing on using an 87 forged crank in a commonblock later on, if this is possible.

cordes
01-08-2006, 09:08 PM
wasnt there a round tooth sprocket for a 2.5 in 88?
i think you might be able to adapt the commonblock front seal housing(drilling and tapping) to the early block and use the common block crank.
someone correct me if im wrong...i
i am planing on using an 87 forged crank in a commonblock later on, if this is possible.

From what I understand every attempt at fitting a early crank in a late block has failed. I am sure it is possible with enough machining/money though.

mo' parts
01-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I am sure it is possible with enough machining/money though.
i thought that was the "name of the game";)

Aries_Turbo
01-11-2006, 03:13 AM
use a 90+ block... little beefier on the back of the block where they like to crack.

Brian

TurbododgePirate
01-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Buy my block. It's a 2.5 commonblock that is a "c" casting. bored .020, you shoudl have ti honed to whatever pistons you get.

The C casting is a stronger metal block with less core shift.

Only $200 and it can be yours!

Khajjathefang
01-11-2006, 08:30 PM
soory dude but i have Two yes two, bare cbs sitting in my garage and one of em is a no balance shaft t-2 2.2 :D

bizzump for the cr question with je's

GLHSKEN
01-11-2006, 08:46 PM
The JE's were made to factory specs... CR s/b 8.1:1

Russ Jerome
01-11-2006, 09:01 PM
The C casting is a stronger metal block with less core shift.

!

It's "rumored" to be stronger, here is my last "C" block:
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/dsc03518.jpg
Helped spread the gospel on the c-block myself, heard/read it from more
than one source but dont bank on it being Superduty tough.

Khajjathefang
01-11-2006, 09:14 PM
The JE's were made to factory specs... CR s/b 8.1:1

is that with the neon head ken? i thought those were the sohc numbers :confused: