PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: 5spd conversion parts for 89 Lebaron/Daytona

Aerosmith145
12-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Hey guys, I need a shifter lever, boot, console, and good shifter/clutch cables for an 89 Lebaron GTC Vert. Charcoal color preferred. Paypal ready!

Brandon

diamond645
12-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Hey Brandon,

Good luck finding what you need! A manual transmission in a Lebaron is pretty rare. If you find one, PLEASE let me know....I need parts too!!

Thanks, Josephine

JohnnyIroc
12-16-2010, 11:32 PM
daytona is the same like his title says
:thumb:

ill try to find u the rest man if one comes up ill pull the stuff

turbovanmanČ
12-17-2010, 02:37 AM
What transmission are you planning on using, that will dictate what parts you need.

I do have 555 and 568 shifters, the 568 is a shorty or regular. I believe I have 555 cables too.

Can I ship out next year, :evil: hehehehehe, :p

Aerosmith145
12-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Im using a 520 because it's what I have. Would prefer a 555 or 568, but I am not wealthy enough to to for a tranny plus shipping! :D

So Simon, a standard 555 shifter and cables would be awesome!

Brandon

Juggy
12-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Im using a 520 because it's what I have. Would prefer a 555 or 568, but I am not wealthy enough to to for a tranny plus shipping! :D

Brandon

i got a nice 555 here. its been rebuilt. if its what i think it is, its my old 89 555 gearset (I just need to pull the end cover to verify this)

im in canada tho. prolly cost a pretty penny to ship.

Aerosmith145
12-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Whats your asking price? Any input slop?

turbovanmanČ
12-20-2010, 01:19 PM

Brandon

Just asking at 523/568 go together and 520/555 go together, :p

I'll have a look today and see if I have cables.

Aerosmith145
12-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Gotcha. Then yes, 555 stuff! :D

Juggy
12-20-2010, 03:16 PM
id like to get $350 out of it. not sure what shipping would be or even how to send something like that states side (besides in the drilled out tupperware zip tied bin) or who to even go through??greyhound? i shipped rims to BC and weight was similar. cost the reciever $90 bucks. im sure its alot more to the US tho

Aerosmith145
12-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I can see how it would be. Let me think about it, and ponder other possibilities. Thanks for your reply!

TopDollar69
12-20-2010, 05:07 PM
The console is the same in an automatic car, it's just the bezel that's different. The correct black 89 GTC 5spd bezel is very hard to find, but not impossible. When I first swapped my car I used the automatic bezel and modified it to work untill I was able to find the correct one.

Aerosmith145
12-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Is it not the same as the Daytona's?

TopDollar69
12-20-2010, 09:45 PM
No, the convertible uses a different console than a coupe, which is the same as a Daytona.

TopDollar69
12-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Here is a picture of the 5spd bezel in my old 88 Lebaron premium, and one of the console in my old 89 GTC.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/Picture_0212.jpg
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/new_pics_032.jpg

Here is a picture of the console in my Laser to show the differences.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/113-1337_IMG.JPG

JohnnyIroc
12-20-2010, 11:08 PM
where did u get those leather boots?
and for shipping a trans, strap it to a crate and ship it...

TopDollar69
12-20-2010, 11:18 PM
The one in the maroon 88 is from a 2000 Audi S4, and the one in my Laser is from a 2000ish VW Passat. The S4 boot has a smaller hole perfect for 90+, where the one from the Passat just fits over the pull ring on the early shifter cars. It has the added benefit of making the shifter rod appear thicker. Both shifters are shortened.

Aerosmith145
12-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the pictures! So, Lebaron coupes and verts share the same size, just diff colors?
And the auto bezel swaps right out for 5spd one?

I LOVE the 80's style accordion boots!

TopDollar69
12-24-2010, 07:19 PM
No, the coupe console is the same as a Daytona, but the vert console is unique. Yes, the auto bezel can be removed and replaced with the 5spd bezel. The car in the picture with tan interior was an automatic, and I swapped it to a 5spd.

Aerosmith145
12-24-2010, 09:22 PM
But if I already have an auto console in my gtc vert, I don't need to change the console? Just the bezel? I was under the impression the entire console was different between manual/auto.

So to clarify, I specifically need a 5spd convertible bezel?

TopDollar69
12-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Yes, that is all you need. Black is specific to the 89 GTC, all other 87-89 Lebaron verts use a woodgrain bezel.

redbaron
12-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Most parts are unique for this as I converted my GTC conv. from auto to manual & finding 3 items will drive you insane, BUT I have 2 of the 3 parts in my garage for you right now!:nod: I have the unique 5-speed shifter bezel, but its woodgrain, so go ahead & paint it to match your console if you so desire. In fact, I have 2 of them!:lol: I found many 5-speed converts over the past 5 years & kept out the unique parts for this conversion if anyone ever wanted to do so. The transmission mount on the drivers left side is unique as well, there is a small U shaped bracket welded onto it for the 'strut' stabilizer. Your convert should have this. This mount was on all convertibles with the 5-speed & its ultra hard to find as well! 3 rd part would be the cruise control set-up, but that can be found in a intercooled Shelby Daytona, try there first.

I have done this changeover in my 89 GTC Turbo convertible Lebaron & it was not fund, but it can be done. I used all correct 1989 parts to do that & it cost me alot of time & gas to go to alot of swap meets & salvage yards back in 2000-2003 to make this right. Infact, I used a correct + battery terminal wires for this & found that a TBI car manual trans worked for me. Remember that neutral safety switch wire is different too.

It all depends on how you wanna do do this, factory correct or driveway afternoon project. I have the motormount for you & 2 shifter console bezels, but I am gonna warn you:evil:, they are not going to be cheap either! Sorry! I want $75 for the console bezel alone. That one is decent. I have another on that is busted in half, but super glued together & is woodgrain as well. It will work for you though. I want $50 for that one. Where are you gonna find one today? As for the motor mount, I would take $50 for that as well.

I'm not trying to bust your wallet here, but just try & find correct parts for this is impossible & will take years to do so. I only ever found 3 5-spd converts in yards over the past 9 years & they are super rare to find & the dealers do NOT have any of these parts around. Arizona parts has the correct transmount new, but that will set you back 184.50 or around that for theirs!

If you want any more info on this or about me, please e-mail me back at this e-mail & I will try to help you what I can do. The console plates are damn rare & they don't take up any space here in my garage either, so I do know they are ungodly rare. I found one in a yard 3 hours from my home once & drove there to get it in summer once after they said they had a manual car in their yard. Its not what I got it for, its because I saved a very damn rare convertible Lebaron part thats impossible to find anywhere.

Both of my console bezels are woodgrain, just go ahead & color match them to your interior. I have the correct black bezel in my car (the one I drove 3 hours one way to get back then) & its staying there! Your console is the same, just pull off your auto plate & intstall this one in place.

My car looks exactly like yours!

My e-mail is: redbarron89@msn.com

Jeffrey

redbaron
12-26-2010, 06:58 PM
I forgot to say that you can use parts from Daytona's for this, like your clutch/brake pedals, brackets, misc. bolts & such, clutch cable, shifter cables ect. The 5-speed shifter will bolt right into place as well, just save the retaining nuts for it. You will have to drill out a hole underneath your car to run the cables from out of & your firewall as well for the clutch cable. I used a 1 5/8ths inch hole saw for the floor & a different but smaller one for the firewall. As for the motormount/transmount, manual transmission is for manual only, so your auto trans mount will be way different.

E-mail me for details more on this, I'd be glad to help you out on this.

Jeffrey