PDA

View Full Version : Painting 86 GLHS questions

ScottD
12-12-2010, 08:17 PM
My 86 GLHS is going off for paint shortly.

What do people do with the ground effects? I've seen some GLH-Ts with gloss black ground effects and don't want to do that. Is there a way to polish them up and not paint them at all?

What do people do with the body side trim? This is the trim that runs around the middle of the car, down the fenders and around the hatch. I have trim off a parts car that's in good shape (the trim on my GLHS is kind of flaked/weathered). Can this also be painted? I was thinking matte black.

Lastly, what color should the bumpers be? Mine are pretty weathered and I'm not sure if they should be gloss or matte black. I'd like to make sure the car is factory correct as I've taken pains to keep it that way otherwise, such as having the Koni's rebuilt, finding the original material to reupholster the seats with, etc.

Any input appreciated!

thedon809
12-12-2010, 09:02 PM
I am also curios as to what people do to restore the plastic ground effects. Mine look like crap on the glh-t.

JDAWG
12-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Scott if you need any oe parts send me a list and ill see what I can do I work at a dealer again

Marcus86GLHS
12-13-2010, 05:12 AM
the ground f/x are colored a very dark graphite/grey from the factory, not true black as you might know. I have had several paint shops tell me they can duplicate the color and apply a special plastic paint that would be durable and replicate the exact color. I'd take your pieces to a good paint shop to discuss. A good undamaged sample piece is of course needed.

the bumpers are anodized in flat black from the factory, you can powder-coat them for a lot less money and they would be dead-on and very chip-resistant unlike the factory anodizing.

the body side trim is the Holy Grail to find, I have seen several Omnis in person with trim that is still available and is close to the original but not close enough for a real nice resto in my opinion, but, its better than nothing, wish I could help you locate that stuff. I'd try to restore original pieces.

turbojerk
12-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Semi-gloss black spray paint is your friend.

ScottD
12-13-2010, 01:04 PM
I like the idea of powder coating the bumpers!

I worry about painting the gfx and it flaking off, even with the special plastic paint.

turbojerk
12-13-2010, 01:07 PM
I used Krylon on all of mine so far and all is well 6 years later...

vipernbox
12-13-2010, 01:08 PM
subscribed

#174 is going to get a makeover soon...

GLHS069
12-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Scott:
If you want to see what powder coated bumpers and gloss black ground effects look like, take a look at pictures of my car. I did both. For quick reference- take a look at the SDAC website photos and you should see some for 14 and maybe 17.

Turbo224
12-13-2010, 02:59 PM
I would use a nice satin black for the body trim. I have used it in the past with good results.

ScottD
12-13-2010, 03:24 PM
My friend Greg Sultner has the gloss on the bumpers and gfx on his GLH-T. While I think his car looks great, I prefer the stock look for the gfx.

I used Krylon on my Dakota front bumper and it chipped, that's why powder coating is appealing to me.

Marcus86GLHS
12-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Scott I would not be too concerned about using the correct type of plastic paint (with flexing agents) for the ground f/x, those paints are very durable, even for the front lower air damn. Unless you locate NOS ground f/x, you will have to use some type of paint process to get them looking new again. Rattle-can paint is the most likely to give you problems long term.

I have an NOS front air damn on my GLHS, the original one is on the shelf, and I might just take it to the shop over here and have my buddy Rick give the re-painting/color matching process a try.

Are you going to be putting a lot of miles on the car once completed?

contraption22
12-13-2010, 04:11 PM
I like the idea of powder coating the bumpers!

I worry about painting the gfx and it flaking off, even with the special plastic paint.

If it makes you feel any better, about 10 years ago, I painted my GFX with a rattle-can of satin black flexible bumper paint, from Plasti-Kote and it hasn't chipped, faded, or peeled since then.

ScottD
12-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Are you going to be putting a lot of miles on the car once completed?

Probably about 1,000 miles per year.

If it makes you feel any better, about 10 years ago, I painted my GFX with a rattle-can of satin black flexible bumper paint, from Plasti-Kote and it hasn't chipped, faded, or peeled since then.

Your car only goes a 1/4 mile at a time :)

I'll have to think about this, maybe my first step is to really clean up the gfx and see how they look.

contraption22
12-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Your car only goes a 1/4 mile at a time :)

True dat, but it spends all it's time outside too.

ScottD
12-13-2010, 05:55 PM
True dat, but it spends all it's time outside too.

I've had some luck with this kind of stuff and some not so good luck. It's one thing to say have a headlight bezel flake after painting, that's easy to get off. This is more of an ordeal.

I'm thinking armor all might be the way to go. You know - with like the window seals on an SRT-4, they fade in the sunlight but a little armor all and they look great for a couple days.

turbojerk
12-13-2010, 07:13 PM
You'll be chasing you a$$ off with the Armor All. Just paint the damn things and let your great grand children worry about it later...

Pat
12-13-2010, 07:25 PM
You'll be chasing you a$$ off with the Armor All. Just paint the damn things and let your great grand children worry about it later...

I agree. If you paint the car and leave the ground effects as they are, they'll look terrible. They might look OK now. Put them on a car that looks brand new and they'll look like ---.

Marcus86GLHS
12-14-2010, 05:27 AM
"......Probably about 1,000 miles per year........"

with that little use, properly painted ground f/x pieces should last many years. I agree the Armor All idea is lame. I would never use Armor All on any portion of any car I own, that stuff is crap.

got any pix of the car in-process?

ScottD
12-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Food for thought.

No pics yet, the car is still in my garage, will be dropped off this Friday 12/17 provided it doesn't snow again like it did last Friday!

contraption22
12-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Don't armor all them! Especially if you want to paint them later!!!! Clean them with soap and water. Then some alcohol (afraid Acetone might disolve them). Scuff them with some steel wool, and use a good plastic bumper paint.

ScottD
12-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Has anyone used a specific plastic bumper type paint with success?

For example, I used SEM paint on the interior panels of the GLHS and that turned out great.

Pat
12-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Has anyone used a specific plastic bumper type paint with success?

For example, I used SEM paint on the interior panels of the GLHS and that turned out great.

Did you ask your painter?

contraption22
12-14-2010, 12:25 PM
http://www.plasti-kote.com/plastikote/products/Specialty/Bumper-Paint.html

turbojerk
12-14-2010, 12:39 PM
I’ve used both exterior plastic automotive paint and Wal-Mart Krylon/Rustoleum and all have worked well…. Take your pick, but the Wal-Mart stuff is easier on the wallet!

I think we’re putting WAY too much thought into this…?

Marcus86GLHS
12-14-2010, 06:43 PM
not if he wants to restore this car to a high standard. why paint the stuff the wrong color when the correct color is right there.

turbojerk
12-14-2010, 06:55 PM
True, but I'll bet the piant could be 3 shades off of the stock plastic look and no one would ever notice.

csomni
12-14-2010, 10:39 PM
i used laquor thinner tto clean the ground effects . did a small sectoin at a time and they cleaned up pretty good. use a rag with laq and wipe off with a clean rag. it takes awhile. not as harse as accetone. but will still melt the plastic a little. then i rubbed them down with lucas tire shine.

ScottD
12-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Did you ask your painter?

I'll ask him on Friday when I drop the car off to him.

http://www.plasti-kote.com/plastikote/products/Specialty/Bumper-Paint.html

Thanks!

I think we’re putting WAY too much thought into this…?

I overthink everything, just ask Pat!

True, but I'll bet the piant could be 3 shades off of the stock plastic look and no one would ever notice.

I agree, these cars aren't like the musclecars where people get in a snit if a car has the wrong hose clamp on it. I want it to be as close to original as possible, but some stuff people aren't going to notice, even diehard TM'ers.

contraption22
12-15-2010, 11:48 AM
I agree, these cars aren't like the musclecars where people get in a snit if a car has the wrong hose clamp on it. I want it to be as close to original as possible, but some stuff people aren't going to notice, even diehard TM'ers.

True. These cars are not well documented or scrutinized enough that anybody is ever going to know what's really correct. And sometimes what really is correct doesn't look as good as what some of the owners have done to them.

I have seen some GLH's with body-colored ground effects and bumpers, and it looks awesome on darker-colored cars. Sure, it's not "correct". But it looks awesome.

ScottD
12-15-2010, 01:23 PM
True. These cars are not well documented or scrutinized enough that anybody is ever going to know what's really correct. And sometimes what really is correct doesn't look as good as what some of the owners have done to them.

I have seen some GLH's with body-colored ground effects and bumpers, and it looks awesome on darker-colored cars. Sure, it's not "correct". But it looks awesome.

Another example is the valve cover on the 86 GLHS. Not many know the Shelby valve cover is actually incorrect for an 86. However, when I got my GLHS it had the Shelby valve cover and I actually think it looks much better, so I'm leaving that even though technically it is incorrect.

omniac
12-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I've powder coated my bumpers ($40 each) and I'm very happy with the results.

I had all the bodyside trim off the car when it was painted, scuffed it with a red scotchbrite pad and painted them using plastic trim paint (satin finish). They look great - BUT when I went to wax the car this summer, I didn't want to get any wax on them, so I used some masking tape to lightly cover them up - and when I went to remove the tape, it peeled some of the paint off.

My valve cover is also powder coated (black crinkle finish - just like the T2 covers).

My ground FX are showing some oxidation as well - I use a wax-like product to bring back the gloss (not sure of the name right now - but can find out if needed).

135sohc
12-15-2010, 05:56 PM
The SEM color coat stuff is nice. Use their prep system and the results are better than new.

Marcus86GLHS
12-15-2010, 07:00 PM
".......it had the Shelby valve cover and I actually think it looks much better......"

see that's why this hobby is so much fun: i totally disagree with that. why? cause the glhs engine bay has way too much black color, almost everything is black...talk about a boring engine bay....one of the the only salvations from all-black on the 86S is that correct silver valve cover. thats why imo the 86S engine bay can be just a tad better looking than the 87S.

does SEM (at NAPA) make a dark charcoal/dark grey rattle can color? that would be a nice way to go for your project Scott, and inexpensive. i dont think i have ever seen a glh/glht/glhs ground f/x restored with the correct color, every one i have seen was done in true black (gloss or satin).

ScottD
12-15-2010, 10:43 PM
".......it had the Shelby valve cover and I actually think it looks much better......"

see that's why this hobby is so much fun: i totally disagree with that. why? cause the glhs engine bay has way too much black color, almost everything is black...talk about a boring engine bay....one of the the only salvations from all-black on the 86S is that correct silver valve cover. thats why imo the 86S engine bay can be just a tad better looking than the 87S.

does SEM (at NAPA) make a dark charcoal/dark grey rattle can color? that would be a nice way to go for your project Scott, and inexpensive. i dont think i have ever seen a glh/glht/glhs ground f/x restored with the correct color, every one i have seen was done in true black (gloss or satin).

See if the intake was silver and matched the silver valve cover I would use the silver valve cover.

I looked at pics of Eiker's GLHS w/ gloss and it looks nice but I'm not sure that is the route I want to go.

Whatever I do I want it to be permanent i.e. not flake off. I'm hesitant to do it myself because plastic is kind of a pain to paint.

ScottD
12-16-2010, 07:45 PM
What are people doing with the door handles? I know I. Can rechrome them and get new stickers but I am thinking painting them all black would look better. Thoughts?

turbojerk
12-16-2010, 08:33 PM
I gotta side on the stock look for the handles.... They just look unmasked to me when all black.

ScottD
12-16-2010, 09:10 PM
That's the only chrome on the whole car though

turbojerk
12-16-2010, 09:18 PM

Yeah I know but I guess that I've seen too many shiddy primer black Omni's over the years....

168glhs1986
12-16-2010, 09:50 PM

I admit I have never thought about the door handles before. Paint them the same color as the side mirrors.

Chad T
12-18-2010, 07:39 PM

see that's why this hobby is so much fun: i totally disagree with that.

Me too:D....Plus why delete the mobil 1 plaque? But yeah too each his own.

http://www.motorgeek.com/gallery/d/98997-1/glhs126.JPG?g2_GALLERYSID=36ffb265a799cee27035be66 5d408198

http://www.motorgeek.com/gallery/d/86598-1/engine_001.JPG?g2_GALLERYSID=36ffb265a799cee27035b e665d408198

glhs0075
12-19-2010, 12:32 AM
Wow, that's a sweet looking engine bay!

vipernbox
12-19-2010, 12:39 AM
^^^^ you read my mind....

Pix saved to use a reference for my GLHS restoration...

BTW... How many GLHS's had a factory AC delete??

Marcus86GLHS
12-19-2010, 05:18 AM
"..How many GLHS's had a factory AC delete?? ........"

none. which was a shame, seeing as though the a/c in those cars added a lot of cost and weight (in the worst area for balance), and the condensor blocks airflow to the intercooler.

vipernbox
12-19-2010, 02:11 PM
That is what I thought..... That engine bay could fool a guy though.... LOVE IT...

ScottD
12-19-2010, 02:35 PM
If I had a silver valve cover that looked as nice as Chad T's I could be persuaded to change. But for now the Shelby valve cover looks good to me. Wasn't the Shelby valve cover supposed to be on the 86s originally but didn't get done in time?

My GLHS is at the painter's now. I'm going to go with satin black on the gfx and use the same satin black on the mirrors and the the door surrounds and rear taillight panel.

The bumpers I'm going to have powder coated.

The window trim piece that sits by the window scraper, they were gloss from the factory, correct?

T-Bohn
12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Detailed picks of the areas mentioned when done please!!

austinlarg
12-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Hey Scott I just painted a couple of interior pieces of my car with a spray yellow and it actually looks really good. Just thought I'd give you my 2 cents as you paint yours.

ScottD
12-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks but my interior is done.

Make sure you use the special interior paint if you're spraying plastic interior panels.

ajakeski
03-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Powder coat your bumpers.
Paint your plastic trim with SEM satin finish black. Prep the parts with a gray scuff pad and a couple coats of SEM flexible primer.
http://www.greatlakeshotrod.com/Great_Lakes_Hot_Rods/Rebirth_of_a_1986_GLH-Turbo/Entries/2010/8/31_Mission_Accomplished.html

ScottD
03-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Powder coat your bumpers.
Paint your plastic trim with SEM satin finish black. Prep the parts with a gray scuff pad and a couple coats of SEM flexible primer.
http://www.greatlakeshotrod.com/Great_Lakes_Hot_Rods/Rebirth_of_a_1986_GLH-Turbo/Entries/2010/8/31_Mission_Accomplished.html

I did have the bumpers powder coated.

I used SEM trim paint on the moldings.

Both turned out GREAT. I have pictures up in the Project Log in my thread about the restoration of the car.