PDA

View Full Version : Engine shopping (starting fresh)

PentastarTurbo
06-28-2006, 05:52 AM
Im starting fresh here and I dont know jack about the neon/stratus dohc 16v.
My Rampage is in need of a different setup from the T2 and this seems like the only logical setup..

I've got to be honest and say that I'm a little overwealmed starting on a whole different series/style of engine after only dickin with the 2.2's sence 1997.. And I still dont know everything there is to know, but at least their familiar to me.

Im lookin at the 2.4 turbo setup..
Id like to run on my 88 smec wiring with a custom cal from tu...

Are their certain years that were the best for the turbo 2.4 engine?
Are the non turbo 2.4's simuliar to that of a common block?

Ive read the faq, but it didnt go into detail whats involved..
Ive searched for the distributor cam conversion info with no results.

How hard is it to steal a SRT4? :evil: j/k

After reading and reading around here, can anyone shoot me a little patience and help a fellah out? Thank you guys..

Will Martin
06-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Aw c'mon Chris, you're a smart guy, you'll figure it out! :thumb:

I bought a 2004 SRT-4 motor/trans, which was the second year. You can get a PT turbo engine as well.

I 'think' there are more DOHC hybrid swaps than 2.4 swaps, I could be wrong.

You can use a non turbo 2.4 block, but obviously you'll have to switch over to a bunch of turbo specific parts.

People will eventually chime in, but for me, I just read and read and read until I was satisfied. And since the info out there is a bit scarce, you'll have to do a little brainstorming as well. :eyebrows:

Speedeuphoria
06-28-2006, 12:25 PM
look on neons.org under engine swap section. They have all of the info you'll ever need, it just might take you forever. You can use the srt4 internals in a n/a 2.4 to get a good setup. the parts are availble at the dealer, new pistons/rods/bearings. You can also swap to the srt4 tensioner setup but you have to get the pan.pickup,oil pump,water pump,tensioner,idler,adapter for the pan and connector for the oil filter. Or you can rebuild the factory pump as long as the housing is within spec and go that way since the pump is in the filter housing and they want like $300 w/ a 30% discount(for the older 2.4 n/a motors) and most parts stores do not sell them.

It is not too bad if you use an auto and get the electronic working.

Garret
06-28-2006, 01:28 PM
For all the extra work if you're not savy with the 2.4 stuff the 16v hybrid setup is pretty dang easy you might wanna go that route

PentastarTurbo
06-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Ive been trying to locate a complete SRT4 engine, but all I can find is a tall block with no accesories on it or turbo.. Hey Will, where did you find yours and what did that ding ya in the pocket?

hybridshadow
10-31-2006, 12:58 AM
go hybrid! its easier than most people think and you wont have to change any of your electronics to get it up and running. can use TI or TII wiring and smec to start off with and go from there. the hybrid setup is only really difficult when you start making intake and exhaust manifolds. if you wanna go the easy way use a cloud car intake and a 2.4 turbo minivan manifold- bolts right on, and you can keep the stock distributor. use TIII venolia pistons-8.2:1 comp ratio and it will clear valves on a 2.2 . 2.5s clear with no mods to the stock pistons (replace em anyway- you know you want to!) use TII or srt rods, and crank of your choice. top it off with big fat injectors and a ginormous turbo and you'll be burnin the tires off like never before. i cant wait to get mine together for spring, just wish my machinist wasnt so slow.....

PentastarTurbo
10-31-2006, 02:00 AM
L body vehicles are somewhat limited with underhood engine space tho..

turbogui
10-31-2006, 10:48 PM
Lots of room ;-)
http://www3.sympatico.ca/d.larouche/image/16v7.jpg

turbovanmanČ
10-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Check out the SRT forums, theres always engines for sale, also Ebay, Craigslist etc. Nemiro has a SRT engine for sale right now.

mario03SRT
11-01-2006, 09:50 AM
A new SRT short block from Mopar is 980.00 plus shipping.:nod:
Try the moparsupercenter.com

turbovanmanČ
11-01-2006, 01:42 PM

I would say good deal but I am putting an SRT4 motor into a 1st gen Neon with a 2.0L DOHC motor. EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT, I spend 2 hours working on it then order parts, and so on. 4 weeks later, its still sitting in my shop. Buy a complete engine out of a wrecked car if you using an SRT motor. I am upto $800 in parts on his long block and another $200 to go plus some fabbing still to do.

PentastarTurbo
11-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Lots of room ;-)
http://www3.sympatico.ca/d.larouche/image/16v7.jpg

Looks good, too bad the intake and exhaust mani's don't seem to be off the shelf parts.. I'm definatly not much of a fabricator..

What did ya have to do to the firewall? looks chop shop ;)

turbovanmanČ
11-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Bolt on manifolds are available.

PentastarTurbo
11-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Link me my good man! :D (if there is one)

anyone done the hybrid setup on a 2.2 yet?

turbovanmanČ
11-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Link me my good man! :D (if there is one)

anyone done the hybrid setup on a 2.2 yet?

Ohio Rob, Russ Jerome to name a few.

Manifolds- www.fwdperformance.com or www.lonewolfperformance.com

tryingbe
11-04-2006, 11:42 AM

How much is the long block and what hp is it good to?